Dun Laoghaire, recession, costs, failed representation

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Dun Laoghaire, recession, costs, failed representation

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:34 am

I like the idea of the Street Games and feel it would be a good attraction. As a none car driver I'm not too sure about Free Parking, too many cars spoil the view. I'd go along with shops given car parking vouchers for spends of over 10 Euro.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby gingertom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Esteemed contributors,
In the light of the wasteful spending of €36 m to build a new library when the local and other councils are still over staffed and we have 415,000 unemployed and our brightest being subsisded to attend college just to emigrate and support foreign economies this is a clusterf**k.Put this money into retraining the entrepreneurs and the business people who have suffered as a result of the previous decisions of our legislators (FF) and now cannot access the necessary assistance to rejuvenate their ideas financially.They closed local libraries to fund this and this means kids now have to travel further to gain knowledge.
Cut the business rate and the salaries of our local councillors who are part of the fiefdom system that is our local government, which is controlled by a single solitary Principal Officer on an excecutive basis.An excellent advance is that these monoliths in the future will be obliged to under a freedom of info law which will oblige disclosure of info.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:13 am

GT wrote
cut the salaries of our local councillors who are part of the fiefdom system that is our local government, which is controlled by a single solitary Principal Officer on an excecutive basis

I have posted already about this GT
councillors are only candyfloss to make it look democratic-the County Manager is the Gov. puppet and overrides all suggestions or proposals from "elected councillors"
==========================================
I had "the pleasure" :roll: :roll: :roll: of being in our town on 3 occasions this week
have to say the best day was yesterday cos it was pxxing rain -so I just did what I had to do and got out -
This morning -Sat-(or Saturday for those hard of hearing :D )
I started down by the library and worked my way back-down as far as our Park
which at the moment is still open and you can walk through and even sit for a while and ponder the wonder of it all
how this beautiful park has escaped the money raising greedy .......................
lads and lassies once again -I haste to say it -there is xkfc all in the town
to get back to my black shoes post -"-you can have a pair of shoes in any colour as long as they are black"
do you know the only cash I spent in the town was in the Euro shop -
for starters -Birthday cards I got 3 for €2
anywhere else you have to go around and look for a price reference code list -
and when you find it -
the first thing you say is ???-they are taking the xiss. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
the days of saying ahhhh buy an Irish card and support Irish jobs is long gone.
all cards are now imported -
what has the town got to offer??????????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:22 am

While Im still on a rant -
the amount of people who were in the town this morning-well down the pier anyway :D :D
it wont be long 'till they have to issue tickets -in the interests of health and safety of course-
it wont be long till some xanker throws himself off the the top of the walkway and sues -
so it will then cost €2 (including full colour leaflet)to take in the view and history of the pier
jaaaazs I think I'll delete this post -I might be on a money maker :mrgreen:
guided tours of the East pier -every hour - :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"As we start our walk down the pier ....
one your right hand you will see toilets -closed-
etc......... :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:49 am

Grammer,

You might be on to something there. The other day I had a chat with a friend about visiting the Giant's Causeway, I havent been there for about thirty years. Well he said there is a new visitor centre and it is eight pounds fifty to go in to see what used to be free!!
Don't jest the fifty foot wall might be built along the seafront yet with the turnstile admission. Someone has to keep the Council in the decent jobs.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Was in Bangor in Wales 2 years ago and you have to pay (a nominal amount) to walk down the pier.

Incidentally North Wales is absolutely lovely - like Wicklow. Highly recommended.

Navanman
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 pm

I am nearly choking with rage watching the Minister for Health on the news. He is waffling on. The public health system is broke and no amount of taking numbers of those on trollies will fix it. A friend was in A&E recently and he was moved every few hours to a new location on the various hallways. There were little sticky notes on the walls and doors with numbers thereon. The second day he was in the third location and thought when he heard "Move Mr X to number 5 " that he was getting a bed in a ward.....no .... number 5 was in front of two unused doors. I just copped when I heard the minister...if you keep moving the problem it is not a long term statistic. What a great idea then when X dies at number 6 he has only been there for a day !!!!!!,Failed representation we have only ourselves to blame we voted for them.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Rocker wrote:Failed representation we have only ourselves to blame we voted for them.

What's new? :evil:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Did you see the Fine Gael guy (cannot remember his name) on Vincent Brown last night?

Absolutely refused to answer directly a straight forward question.

My blood was boiling today - I heard Joe Duffy say one of the Sinn Fein? guys had claimed the renewal of his driving licence in his expenses?????

Absolutely unbelievable!

PS I have no affiliation to any party.
Navanman

Postby Strum » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am

Navanman wrote:Absolutely refused to answer directly a straight forward question.

What's new? :twisted:
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:41 am

Well I'll be there in a few days !! and I want all the flags out !! the door steps red polished! there will be sunshine and lots of it !! there will be no need to line the streets as I want to keep this visit low key mind you ! :lol:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 am

Jeez, there you are preparing to leave that sweltering,rarely see rain spot and you want to come visit a similar spot. No way Hose A, this is the little island, last outpost before Amerikee. We do wind, rain, lots more wind and then days when it rains, winds, sunshines and rains again. It is almost October!! and we are still having a good bit of sun,,not too much heat.
Heres the deal. When you arrive go to a cheap shop called Dunnes in Cornelscourt. Get a jumper, raincoat,maybe you will need a hat (to rug up) some gloves, then you are ready for action.
I was off in sweltering Slovakia for three weeks in August and the one blessed thing I really noticed and loved when I got off the plane at Dublin Airport was the refreshing wind...oh glorious fresh air and wind with maybe a hint of rain but definitely a hint of grass in it,,only in iRELAND..it just hits you...wait and see.. you will love it.

And we are so posh now.. no cardinal polish on the doorstep!! no way its cream porcelin tiles all the way and parquet flooring...we are so posh...and we know it cause we keep telling people !!!!!

Anyway, Poor DunLaoghaire does it know what awaits???? Spudseamus is on his way..it's Arthur, it's Arthur...no it's Spudseamus!!!(you would have to see the Arthur Day ads on telly to know what I am raving about).
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 am

You had too much coffee for breakfast.

Navanman
Navanman

Postby Gulliver » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:14 am

Irish coffee, methinks
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm

:D :D :D :D
are'nt we a wonderful country all the same.(as Rocker says-"or so we keep telling everyone.")

as a guy said the other day -only in Ireland
We have Lamb's making jam.
Bird's making custard
Lyon's making tea.
you can go to Sunday mass on a Saturday and buy Sunday's paper on a Saturday.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby bugrock » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Spudseamus
Talk about climate; I got back to Ireland after 12 years in Australia. Arrived St Stephens Day and didn't/wouldn't step outdide to cross the road to Tesco till Easter. But still I love it!
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Jemser » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I agree that we are very good at telling people that we are a great little country. I'm not so sure any more.

Regarding Lamb's making jam, not for many years, as far as I know.
Bird's making custard, again not for many years here in Ireland.
Lyon's tea, also gone from Ireland.
Not many going to Mass anymore.
The Sunday papers on Saturday, tell the previous weeks news.

So I think we are kidding ourselves a little in the teeth of this recession.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Toss » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Navanman wrote:Did you see the Fine Gael guy (cannot remember his name) on Vincent Brown last night?

Absolutely refused to answer directly a straight forward question.

My blood was boiling today - I heard Joe Duffy say one of the Sinn Fein? guys had claimed the renewal of his driving licence in his expenses?????

Absolutely unbelievable!

PS I have no affiliation to any party.

A politician answer a question :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that would be an ecumenical matter :roll:

I agree about the driving licence renewal but we need all the facts, you might find its pittance compared to the taxi fares they all bung in :roll:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby jaytee » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 pm

You're a miserable loada sxites, Rockers the only positive person on here lately, wonder if thats cos shes a woman !!Our mate SPUDSEAMUS is coming home for the 1st time in 10 years. Try to be happy about that if nothing else. :roll: :roll:
jaytee

Postby spudseamus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:54 pm

jaytee wrote:You're a miserable loada sxites, Rockers the only positive person on here lately, wonder if thats cos shes a woman !!Our mate SPUDSEAMUS is coming home for the 1st time in 10 years. Try to be happy about that if nothing else. :roll: :roll:

:D
spudseamus

Postby grammer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:58 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D
jaytee » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 pm

You're a miserable loada sxites, Rockers the only positive person on here lately, wonder if thats cos shes a woman !!Our mate SPUDSEAMUS is coming home for the 1st time in 10 years. Try to be happy about that if nothing else

Do you know JT your the first on the site to tell it like it is :D :D :D
You're a miserable loada sxites

:D :D :D :D
they are more worried about the price of wine and ................................ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 pm

The latest opening announcement in Dun Laoghaire is Dealz - a branch of the UK's poundland, who are already open in Stillorgan. They are opening in the former Tuthills shop in the front entrance to the Bloomfield centre.
Everything there is €1.49, but the range is much wider than the €2 shops.
Navanman can buy a load of staples there for €1.49. I can tell him that I paid much more the last time I bought staples ;) ;) ;)

Is this good or bad for Dun Laoghaire??? I'm not sure. Of course it is good to see a price war among the discount stores if it leads to better value for consumers.
Will it bring more footfall into the Bloomfield centre? I believe it will. Will it bring a little excitement to shopping in Dun Laoghaire? Yes it will - the €2 shop is the busiest shop in Dun Laoghaire, and this will beat it. Will it affect other traders - very little. Most of the items it sells are nowadays hard to get other than on discount shops - but certain shops will be affected. On basic items like toothpastes, soaps, shampoos, deoderants, birthday/christmas cards etc. they beat Tesco, Booths, etc.
Yep, On balance, I think it is good to have more competition - the shoppers will decide with their feet... and their purses.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 pm

I suppose it's a sign of the times when what use to be known as Huckster Shops are now the busiest shops in Dun Laoghaire. Progress how are ye. :(
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Gulliver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 pm

True, Denis
But don't forget that Marks & Spencers was originally a "Penny Arcade" discount shop, and only changed over to a "proper shop" in about 1927. When the "St Michael" brand was first sold in Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt in the 1960s, it was a downmarket brand.

Look at where M&S are now!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Navanman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Gulliver
Am nearly afraid to put anything up here now!

Saw a report on UTV some months saying that if you want to go into a business that is recession proof then ice cream is the one to go into.

It is bought by everybody from the poor to the rich.

Is a comfort food (like chocholate), can be eaten on the go and as a desert after a luxurious meal.

Has already gone through numerous recessions

Is sold in all types of formats (cones, bars, blocks) and flavours

And as Gaybo used say there is one for everybody in the audience.

Now where are me staples gone?
Navanman

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE