scall Dalkey

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

scall Dalkey

Postby Holla » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Did any of you folks ever hear Dalkey referred to as a scall Dalkey ? I asked around a few think it has something to do with
Dalkey having a parade on the 12th of july in the past ??
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: scall Dalkey

Postby Strum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Never heard of it Holla. :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Nope never heard of it either Holla
maybe it was scaldy dalkry :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Dear Holla:

Yes, you are right, my mother always referred to 'Scall Dalkey' but I have no idea why. There was a Masonic Lodge in the main street with a very large brass plate on the door. Only to-day I looked for the sign but the door has been replaced, it seems to have the old knocker but the plate is no longer there.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby Holla » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 pm

That same masonic lodge on castle street has a sign on the side of it for ormeau drive strange enough
Holla

Postby Winner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah we were always referred to as ''Scall Dalkey'' love to find out what it came from.
Winner

Postby Holla » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 pm

On another site a lady is making inquires about Tyrrells cottages in Dalkey ,???? she states her husband was born in these cottages in the 1930s but can"t locate them now, never heard of them myself.
Holla

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 pm

keeper
on the 1911 census-
there is a tyrrells lane -any help??
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ll_s_Lane/
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Holla » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:48 pm

very fast reply grammer,Iam just curious as to where in Dalkey it was.
Holla

Postby keeper » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 am

Hiya Grammer ! not involed in this one, but I am just as curious as everyone about these cottages, thought I knew Dalkey fairly well but never heard of them. It would seem that they are long gone but still and all 1930-35 is fairly recent history, it would be well within living memory of parents who may still be with us, would they have made way for the development of St Begnet's Villas ?
keeper

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 am

Gang, Is Horace 'TRAM MAN' Porter still about. he would know of the Cottages ...

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Holla » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 am

Enviro500 wrote:Gang, Is Horace 'TRAM MAN' Porter still about. he would know of the Cottages.

Horace must be dead about ten years now,slopman and barrister now thats a great C V to have :)
Holla

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Holla indeed,

An interesting man, flying between court and the piggery on his trusty three wheel Vespa.....and the 'Shiny suit' too
I met Horace a few times and a nice man.
He showed me his 'secret' over 50 years ago and it was the unique Dublin United Tramways "Directors Car"......the official 'company tram' as it were. It was in his back yard as a Chicken house...for donkeys years
Thankfully under restoration in Howth. It was almost destroyed by vandals back in the mid 1980s. Jim Kilroy at Howth Museum is taking care of things..
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Don't know why it was Scall Dalkey but heard the saying many times, the interesting thing for me is that my relations from Meath always referred to a Grey or Hooded Crow as a "Scall Crow", wonder is there a connection there somewhere.
keeper

Postby Holla » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 am

[Don't know why it was Scall Dalkey but heard the saying many times, the interesting thing for me is that my relations from Meath always referred to a Grey or Hooded Crow as a "Scall Crow", wonder is there a connection there somewhere.

yeah keeper,
we always called fledgling birds Scalls out here in the southside but my northside brother in law used slag us and call us culchies
Holla

Postby keeper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Yes Holla, I'm from the 'Boro myself and we always called the birds that as well, wonder is there some sort of connection to "Scall Dalkey".
keeper

Postby Holla » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Had me a ramble over Dalkey way this morning I have often passed by the old tramyard which now has a market inside but never ventured in as I always thought it was just another farmers market anyway in I went and was amazed at all the stalls bric a brack ,books , food, fairly like the Blackrock market, theres an old tram built into a coffee shop (wonder was it Horace porters) with a sign advertising Sunday afternoon jazz and brunch ,but hidden in the corner I found the "weekend art studio" wow you want to see the stuff in here etchings, water colours, photography some realy good work done by lot of local people I was talking to one of the artists and she told me they were having the official opening of the studio (which is fairly big) next Saturday its well worth popping in if your in the area.
Holla

Postby Micheál » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Was on the DART the other day. Two elderly ladies sat opposite me - delightful company - and a lively conversation struck up.
I say delightful - they were sisters and were full of animated alternating chat - seemed like I was graced with Jedwards grandaunts.

Somewhere in the conversation, I brought up "Dalkey" and both ladies immediately recited together "Scall Dalkey"
When asked, the had no idea about the origin of the name.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I am on the mailing list for Dalkey Book Festival and got this today

We urgently need some good stories, so we’re launching a terrific new short story competition in association with KBC. To celebrate 40 years of KBC in Ireland and 4 years of the Dalkey Book Festival, your story must be 440 words or less. If you are 13 or under (the best age for writers, we think) we desperately want you to enter. Please, please, enter as soon as you can; by next week we might be reduced to reading phone books and junk mail.

A prizewinner will be selected in each category (9 and under and 10-13yrs).
Each prizewinner will win book tokens to the value of €250, Dalkey Book Festival tickets, a festival lunch (with a chance to meet some of our children’s authors) and a two night family stay with dinner in the Ftitzpatrick Castle Hotel, Killiney. Get writing!

Closing date for entries: 3 June.

Our mailing address is:
info@dalkeybookfestival.org
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jaytee » Mon May 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks Rocker. I've passed it on to my niece.
jaytee

Postby keeper » Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Well sod that scry I'm just too old scry 14 is just such a difficult age, too old for this and too young for that scry scry
keeper

Postby grammer » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
keeper » Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Well sod that scry I'm just too old scry 14 is just such a difficult age, too old for this and too young for that scry scry
grammer
The Spoon

Postby jwdalk » Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Just throwing this out as a suggestion, this is only an idea of mine and I have no evidence to support it. Just a theory, that's all. I did a bit of research on scall and came up with a few meanings, but the one which stood out was this:

Middle English, from Old Norse skalli, a bald head; see skel-1

Given that Dalkey is itself an old Norse name, could it be that the rocky top of the Hill, as seen from the sea, prompted the Norsemen to compare the hill to a bald head?
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

That's it :shock: I'm getting a transplant, don't want to be called Scall Head :shock: :shock:
Seriously, that's a good theory JD, Could well be the case, good research that wuu
keeper

Postby Micheál » Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 am

jwdalk wrote:Given that Dalkey is itself an old Norse name, could it be that the rocky top of the Hill, as seen from the sea, prompted the Norsemen to compare the hill to a bald head?

You might be on to something here Jwdalk. This is what they look like south of Albert Road. (And the guys are not much better)

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY