The Weather

Animals, Botany, Nature in general

The Weather

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 am

As we always moan about the weather
heres an extract from the Irish Gazetteer 1837-

The climate of Dublin is temperate; frosts rarely continue more than a few days, and snow seldom lies. The heaviest fall of snow on record is that which commenced on the 18th of January, 1814, and continued undissolved till the beginning of the next April. The prevailing winds are from the west. The average proportion of winds, as stated by Rutty, is west, south-west, and north-west, to east, south-east, and north-east, as 9061 to 5141. Of 68 storms noted by Rutty, 57 were from the south-west, and but two from the east and north-east. The easterly and north-easterly winds which prevail in spring not being broken by any high grounds, are violent and ungenial. On an average of forty-one years there were in this county—of springs, 6 wet, 22 dry, 13 variable; of summers, 20 wet, 16 dry, 5 variable; of autumns, 11 wet, 11 dry, 19 variable. It also appears by a mean of observations that the dry days in Dublin are to the rainy as 110 to 255. The quantity of rain is, however, by no means as great as at Cork or Belfast. In 1792, one of the wettest years on record, the depth of rain which fell in Dublin was 30.7 inches; of this 5.8 inches fell in the month of August. The average annual depth of rain which fell in Dublin during the sixteen years preceding the year 1817, was 23 inches 7 lines.
grammer

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 am

from the irishtimes
Im dreaming of a white Christmas :D :D

Christmas snow 'almost definite'
A postman renowned for predicting the weather using ancient methods today insisted Ireland is heading for a white Christmas.

Michael Gallagher, who learned his age-old technique from the last generations living high in Donegal’s Blue Stack mountains, uses nature and the behaviour of animals to make his forecast.

The 61-year-old, who lives in the remote Glenfin Valley, said all the signs pointed to snow on its way.

“We are definitely on our way to a white Christmas,” he said.

More scientific meteorological forecasters would only say snow was possible during an expected cold spell coming in this week — but they cannot tell how long it will last.

Mr Gallagher, who says his methods were relied on for hundreds of years before television weather forecasters, will raise the hopes of those dreaming of a white Christmas.

“Predicting one day precisely is very hard to pull off, but I’m almost definite — about 90 per cent,” he said.

“When the sun shines on to the (Blue Stack) mountains, and down to the lowlands it’s turning a reddish-brown colour, that’s a sign of snow.

“The sheep and the cattle are going mad too, shaking themselves, coming in off the mountains and coming to the gate.

“And I noticed the other day, the fox is getting very busy, looking for hens and howling at two in the morning.

“There’s a hunger in everything, they want to be fed because they know what is coming. These are ‘moving signs’ that things are going to happen.”

A postman for 42 years, Mr Gallagher shot into the public spotlight two years ago when he lifted the nation’s sodden spirits with his unorthodox prediction of an end to incessant summer rain.

Massive interest in his old techniques and a trip to China — with his daughter, who won a silver medal in the Special Olympics — where he noted many old traditions survive, prompted him to complete a book this year, Traditional Weather Signs.

Using those methods, he said, everything was signalling a “tight and hard wintry snap in the coming weeks, with the best chance for years of widespread snow on December 25th.

“There’s so many signs I can tell you: the late growth of grass in October, the haws are laden with berries — that’s another sign,” he said.
grammer

Postby jordo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:05 pm

That first one was very interesting Grammer, just goes to show, nothing much has changed.
The second one though is the one that particularly got my attention because I was only commenting to Farmboy about the amount of holly berries in some of his photos, a sure sign of a bad winter.
HAHAHA, I was just reading MTG's post about a cold Californian morning, temps musta dropped back into the low 70's :D :D :D
jordo

Postby spudseamus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 pm

40deg yesturday :shots:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby grammer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:03 am

jakkkes spud -it must be a hard oul life :D :D
it is a lovely 5/7 degs here tonight :-| :-|
grammer

Postby Monkstowngirl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 am

jordo wrote:That first one was very interesting Grammer, just goes to show, nothing much has changed.
The second one though is the one that particularly got my attention because I was only commenting to Farmboy about the amount of holly berries in some of his photos, a sure sign of a bad winter.
HAHAHA, I was just reading MTG's post about a cold Californian morning, temps musta dropped back into the low 70's :D :D :D

Jays Jordo...wud ya chill out?? It's been 40 friggin degrees here in the mornin's...doncha know the aul blood had thinned out over the years?!!!!

Anyway, funny thing about you posting these weather articles here right now is, I just pointed out a seagull to my daughter a couple of day ago, here, in the desert, 100 miles inland from the coast...and told her we must be due for a right cold snap!!
Monkstowngirl

Postby jordo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:27 am

40 degrees!!! That's barbie weather here MTG or have you forgotten :D :D :D
jordo

Postby Monkstowngirl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 am

jordo wrote:40 degrees!!! That's barbie weather here MTG or have you forgotten :D :D :D

Excuse me!!! Yer mind musta been so caught up thinkin about dat plastic bird ya COMPLETELY missed the info I gave ya about the feathered wans!!!! Sheesh!!!! Men!!
Monkstowngirl

Postby jordo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 am

Nah, ye know men! Can't multi task, one subject at a time please :D
jordo

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:18 pm

I don't know but I prefer the 3 DEGREES, it's what I'm use to. Sure it never rains in Southern California. :D :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Well it's getting close now...I just walked in from a shower of Hailstones.
Get yer Paddy Power bets in for a White Christmas! :D

The ONLY one I remember was in about 1968 or so, same year I found out there was no such thing as....:mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:33 pm

UFO?????-
well dont believe all the debunkers -
grammer

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 pm

What's the odds Each Way? :D :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:27 pm

"not a snowballs chance in hell "-say the well paid experts -
"there is a chance of snow -but its too soon to give an exact forcast"
so what are they getting paid for then???????

but the postman from donegal says yes--
and he is an amatuer -who studies natures signs

where would you put your 5er ??????
grammer

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 pm

grammer wrote:but the postman from donegal says yes--

Ummm alright my fiver's on Farmboy's prediction. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:21 pm

And yeah it all depends on where you live but I have NEVER seen snow on Christmas Day.
I'd still go with Nature and as I said earlier about Farmboys photos the signs are all there for a hard one this year.
jordo

Postby jordo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:11 am

Just got a call from my daughter in Enfield where it is snowing very hard so the signs were right guys. Jordan and his da are battering each other with snowballs, jeez I wish I was out there.
jordo

Postby grammer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:29 am

wow =looks like snow out here as well
England are bracing themselves for a blast of snow-
grammer

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:35 am

Well if you're going Jordo, mind the roads...I just came in from dog walkies and brrr the frost is already settling and this is 11:30pm....
Watch those ICY roads in the AM.
Oh yeah, there was a wind chill factor coming down from the lead mine tower direction...umm..that would be east/south east...depending on the direction you're standing. :mrgreen:

And that is your Strumweather for this evening, good night! :sun:
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40 am

No snow in Donegal as yet but its icy cold outside.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby chris » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:13 pm

The weather forecast for Northampton was for heavy snow today and it was right. We woke up this morning to very heavy snow and it is still snowing at the moment. Schools were closed so the children had an extra days holiday and as I am writing this can see a lot of them out having good snow fights. A lot of roads around the town are closed and they forecast more snow on Saturday night and -4 during the night so the roads will be hazardous. I hate driving in this weather so will stay in, sit by the fire and read a good book.
chris

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 pm

chris wrote:I hate driving in this weather so will stay in, sit by the fire and read a good book.

Sounds good Chris! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Well gang,

I have been working into West London this afternoon after loads of snow last night..
Up here in the Chilterns its a bit grim snow wise. But then one of my jobs is the make sure our Gritters are servicable in Buckinghamshire and its the old addage, 'How does the gritter driver get to work in a blizzard ?'. Well, we plan it and staff stay on site..Incidently our gritters are BUILT IN IRELAND, would you believe... Romaquip in Birr, Co Offaly manufacture them and are very popular in the UK. In fact Romaquip have just won a MULTIPOUND (Stg) contract to supply the U.K. Dept of Trtansport gritter lorries and bodies for the M.6 area in the Northwest
Hopefully for ROMAQUIP it is the first of many and we can endorse them

Our temperature is expected to drop to -8C to night with more snow expected...tonight
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Keep safe Enviro! Though I doubt somehow with your experience you would get into many scrapes. :cool:

A few freckles of snow here and there today, but gotta be the coldest day sofar. Brrrr
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:10 pm

STRUM,

Thank you Strum old boy, our top ADMINISTRATOR...and just stay there..

One day I will recall some of our 'SCRAPES' during inclement weather of the thirty years I have been involved on the U.K Motorway network West and North of London
Enviro500
Executive Member

Next

Return to NATURE