HALLOWEEN

Easter, Chringemas, Birthdays, Anniversaries...

HALLOWEEN

Postby grammer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:17 am

right all you people out there
with HALLOWEEN coming up lets have your childhood ghost stories
you all have 13 days to post your story --HERE -nowhere else
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ----
STAY ON TOPIC

halloween and ghost stories from your past---
grammer

Postby Strum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:55 pm

BOO!

Strum
Administrator

Postby JENNY WREN » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:20 pm

BOO RIGHT BACK AT YAH STRUM.

always look on the bright side of life.....de dum de dum de dum de dum.
JENNY WREN
Advanced Member

Postby jordo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Growing up as a kid in 1950's Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland, you name it there were countless ghost stories be they ones related from folk lore or indeed personal experiences and they were great, absolutely great.
There were headless coach men, women in long flowing gowns, fearsome black dogs, haunted houses, you name it there was a story about it. There wasn't one kid who didn't know of someone who had gone to a dance during Lent only to look down at her dance partner to see that he had a cloven foot. And the one that frightened the bejapers out of me was the poor kid that broke his midnight fast by eating five sausages. These same five sausages as this poor kid was walking back up the church after receiving communion turned into fingers and pulled his little heart out right there in front of everyone.

Then all of a sudden they were gone, just like that. It wasn't that we got older, it was I think the world as a whole lost something with the 'discovery' of space travel and indeed television.
I know for me and those I grew up with our world changed in 1957 with the launching of Sputnik, the first man made object to be launched into Space.
Space the new frontier, we now spent our time searching the night skies for this little ball, that every one of us, on our mothers graves saw. Falling stars were no longer poor souls going to or coming from Purgatory but flying saucers and any vision was no longer a spectre but a Martian of sorts coming to take over the World.

One story that I have told from time to time and is one that I have been unable to get my head around is as follows.

My mother died January 1st 1980, 12 months later in December of that same year my da ended up in hospital. I went out to visit him on Christmas Eve with some of my brothers he told me to tell Fran he was sorry to hear about her mother. I told him the woman was as healthy as she had always been but he insisted that she was dead. I didn't argue with him thinking that he was thinking of my ma who had been in hospital over the previous Christmas and just left it at that.

Christmas morning with four young kids had us up early and around 7 A M there was a knock at the door. A young garda told me I was to contact the hospital and without looking at the note he handed me I phoned St Michaels. My da was fine the hospital reassured me. I then looked at the note and it was Jervis Street, Fran's mother had been taken in an hour earlier and had died before reaching a ward.

When my da was collected by my brother later that morning he told him about Fran's mother. Said he "Sure I told yiz that last night"

Strange, very strange.
jordo

Postby grammer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 pm

jordo -I think you've covered the whole holloween scene as it was for us when we were kids ---
your gonna be a hard act to follow
BRILLIANT ----

----------------------
grammer

Postby farmboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Hmm, that is a strange story all right Jordo. I must admit I,ve never seen a ghost (that I know of) and am usually sceptical about such matters. However, a family I know from the Glasthule area swear they often heard their late father shuffling around the house that he,d lived in for several decades. I think he had Dementia and would wander from the old scullery through one of those beaded curtains and into the living room. He would acknowledge nobody and was a bit like a man in a trance for a long time before he died.

When he did die, the family decided to replace the curtain with a proper door and his family are adamant that from day one they could clearly hear scratching noises behind this door and are convinced it was the poor aul divil,s spirit still trying to shuffle his way around the house! :shock: I know this family well over 40 years and they,re not given to flights of fancy so I would be inclined to believe them.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 pm

:shock: :shock:
grammer

Postby Snowhite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Great Tales Lads

ImageImageImageImage

John Bradford, a Dublin University student, was on the side of the road hitchhiking on a very dark night and in the midst of a big storm.

The night was rolling on and no car went by. The storm was so strong he could hardly see a few feet ahead of him.

Suddenly, he saw a car slowly coming towards him and stopped.

John, desperate for shelter and without thinking about it, got into the car and closed the door.... only to realize there was nobody behind the wheel and the engine wasn't on.

The car started moving slowly. John looked at the road ahead and saw a curve approaching. Scared, he started to pray, begging for his life.

Then, just before the car hit the curve, a hand appeared out of nowhere through the window, and turned the wheel. John, paralyzed with terror, watched as the hand came through the window, but never touched or harmed him.

Shortly thereafter, John saw the lights of a pub appear down the road, so, gathering strength; he jumped out of the car and ran to it.

Wet and out of breath, he rushed inside and started telling everybody about the horrible experience he had just had.

A silence enveloped the pub when everybody realized he was crying… and wasn't drunk.
Suddenly, the door opened, and two other people walked in from the dark and stormy night. They, like John , were also soaked and out of breath. Looking around, and seeing John Bradford sobbing at the bar, one said to the other.....

'Look Paddy.....there's that f##king idiot that got in the car while we were pushing it!!!!

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Gresat stuff there folks! Nice piece Jordo! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sputnik » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:12 am

jordo wrote:I know for me and those I grew up with our world changed in 1957 with the launching of Sputnik,
the first man made object to be launched into Space.

Don't blame Sputnik.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:32 am

:D :D :D :D :D
Don't blame Sputnik.
grammer

Postby Strum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby JENNY WREN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:02 pm

nice one jordo :shock: nice one snowy :shock:
JENNY WREN
Advanced Member

Postby jordo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:27 am

My daughters house today,

And then this evening. My son in law and Grandkids.

jordo

Postby farmboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:35 am

Wow! Great pics Jordo. :cool: Is that son in law of yours exceptionally tall? He,s like a giant beside his family!
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:41 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jazzz thought that was you for a minute there jordo--- :D
great photos
grammer

Postby JENNY WREN » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:41 am

brilliant thats the SPIRIT :D
JENNY WREN
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:35 am

my g/children -scott and kym-try out on Friday for the big night

grammer

Postby grammer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:37 pm

grammer

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Great photos folks. That bloke in the mummy costume look absolutely enormous beside the kids.

Oh, Farmboy said that already :D

Here's my daughter! :D :D :D

Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:01 pm

Ah, they,re great pictures from the lot of ye. We dont have any small ones for dressing up but a friend of ours called with her 5 year old, Sean.

farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:05 pm

As I said, we dont have any little ones but our lad was in costume for his band,s gig in Temple Bar last night....we havent seen or heard fromhim since!! :shock:

farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Monkstowngirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:34 pm

So...question!!

Is it too late to add any more posts to this thread? I think Jordo said something about only 13 days...is that a cut off or something??
Monkstowngirl

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Jordo,
Is the Labrador having an "Arabian Knight" ? Said daughter will be well pleased !!!!
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Work away! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Next

Return to HOLIDAYS AND FESTIVITIES