Computer problems etc

Any tips or links to good programs you may have on Computers post them here. PLEASE keep this Forum specifically for software and Computer help.

Computer problems etc

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Please folks keep this forum specifically for Computer related problems, software downloads and tips etc. Thanks! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Ok. To start you off for all you "youtube" lovers heres a great little program that you can use to download youtube videos on to your pc.
I found it brilliant for downloading Guitar lessons that I wanted to be able to simply open on my pc.

Enjoy! :cool:

http://www.newrad.com/software/tubesucker/

You will also need to download this media player to view the files...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Incidentally this media player will play almost any type of video files... :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Have you got a couple of windows open and you need to work between a few of them but every time you click on one window the other one minimises?

Never again! The best little program I found.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/deskpins.html
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:02 pm

I suggest everybody have these programs on their pc's to protect you from Malware, Spyware, Trojans and Viruses etc...run these programs once a week to scan your computer and keep it clean, protected and running smoothly.
Before you run any of these programs update them first.
Cheers! :D

SPYBOT

http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

ADAWARE

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

SPYWAREBLASTER

http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10196637.html
Strum
Administrator

SPAMfighter

Postby Strum » Fri May 11, 2007 12:39 pm

This is the best SPAM blocker I have found yet!
A free download into Outlook Express or Outlook and enjoy SPAM free E-mails. :D

http://www.spamfighter.com/Download_Download.asp
Strum
Administrator

Re: SPAMfighter

Postby Opal » Mon May 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Strum wrote:This is the best SPAM blocker I have found yet!
A free download into Outlook Express or Outlook and enjoy SPAM free E-mails. :D

http://www.spamfighter.com/Download_Download.asp

So this is why my e-mails to you have been disappearing :rfl:

Google Calendar

A handy calendar you can use, share and access anywhere you have an internet connection
Opal

Google Stuff

Postby Opal » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Just been on a walk around Dublin, and when I got back I thought it'd be interesting to see how far I'd been.

I found this site Google Pedometer

You can plot your route and it'll tell you how far you've walked and how many calories you should have burned based on your weight. Not sure how accurate the calorie counter is though, I think it thought I was running

Walked: 5.5miles
Calories Burned: 828
Opal

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:33 am

A question Rioght.

How do we post windows movie media links here, I`ve tried but no luck.

Cheers :D Toby
Toby
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:58 am

Toby wrote:A question Rioght.

How do we post windows movie media links here, I`ve tried but no luck.

Cheers :D Toby

Sorry Toby I only saw this post now...You could do this. Find a video link, click on the Internet Explorer icon above the message reply box and post you're link into it....and you will get something like this...hope this helps somewhat! :D

Theres a slight hiccup though, if you posted lots of posts like that on the same page they will all start playing at the same time! I'll look into it further! Cheers!

[web]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NTj79x-tlWQ[/web]
Strum
Administrator

Re: Computer problems etc

Postby jordo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Strum wrote:Please folks keep this forum specifically for Computer related problems, software downloads and tips etc. Thanks! :cool:

Hi Guys,
Is this a big problem and have I lost everytrhing?
Last night I posted a message, came back an hour later and when I started up the screen read:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupted:

<Windows root> \system32\ha1.d11.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Does this mean I have lost everything that I have put in since June? and no I hadn't backed it up, I had bought Memory Sticks and was to do it last week-end but!!!!!

Anyway I left it in to a place on Baggot Street this morning and the lad there says it might take up tp a week and will do his best to save anything he can, but the suspence is killing me.
Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Jordo
jordo

Re: Computer problems etc

Postby ted » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Guys,
Is this a big problem and have I lost everytrhing?
Last night I posted a message, came back an hour later and when I started up the screen read:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupted:

<Windows root> \system32\ha1.d11.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Hi Jordo
You confused with the 1. l It is not ha1 but hal

they guys should fix this ok
From the Console recovery.

Fixboot
Fixmbr
Assign-h-r-sc: \ boot.ini
Del c: \ boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild Bootcfg

thats the way they should go to repair and it should do it
hopefully everything will be ok for you
ted

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:50 pm

I doubt very much if your harddrive will lose anything Jordo. I'ts not an uncommon problem. Just curious, where was this message you sent from and did your pc shut down?
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanks Ted for replying so quickly, it is great relief to know that it is fixable as I thought I had lost everything.
I will leave it with them for a day or two and then let you know how I got on.
Thanks again.
Jordo
jordo

Postby jordo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Strum wrote:I doubt very much if your harddrive will lose anything Jordo. I'ts not an uncommon problem. Just curious, where was this message you sent from and did your pc shut down?

Hi Strum,
I'm using my daughters computer at the moment.
The screen froze last night and my youngest girl unplugged it from the mains and removed the battery (something she learned in D C u in her transition year). Then when she plugged it back in the message came up about the file being missing or corrupt!!! Panic, BIG panic. But we are talking again now :D
Jordo
jordo

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 pm

It's only missing a startup driver.
The guys in the shop shouldn't have any bother with that!
A week though?
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Strum wrote:It's only missing a startup driver.
A week though?

As Ted pointed out I mixed up the l and the 1 when speaking to him over the phone so that might have confused him? As I said it was all panic and after a very restless night I was happy that someone was doing something.
His biggest concern though was that I had not got the original installation disc as it was set up for me by my friends daughter and I never took the disc(s).
The guy said that the original disc would near guarantee no loss of data.
Anyway thank you both and I will let you know what happens.
Jordo
jordo

Postby Opal » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 pm

LMAO!!!!! Just opened this thread to see what's been said and suddenly there was cheering n stuff. I thought what the F!!! :shock:

Then I scrolled up :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi opal same here --someone likes gilmore and geldof :D :D
grammer

Postby farmboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 am

A week though?

I cant access any of my drivers! When I click on device manager I get a blank box. The missus bought me an 8 gig ipod for xmas and it wouldnt sync with the computer. Apple support got me to try and access the drivers to update them but couldnt find them. I was going to buy a laptop anyway and its on the way. Hopefully then I,ll be able to use the ipod. The only thing is it has Windows Vista and havent heard too many good reports there :???: Feck it, sure its only money! :alco:
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Opal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:14 am

farmboy wrote:
A week though?

I cant access any of my drivers! When I click on device manager I get a blank box. The missus bought me an 8 gig ipod for xmas and it wouldnt sync with the computer. Apple support got me to try and access the drivers to update them but couldnt find them. I was going to buy a laptop anyway and its on the way. Hopefully then I,ll be able to use the ipod. The only thing is it has Windows Vista and havent heard too many good reports there :???: Feck it, sure its only money! :alco:

Hey FB I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop, had it since early 2007! I don't have any problems. Would love to hear the bad reports you've had :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby farmboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 am

Glad to hear that OPal. Its just that if you surf a bit you,ll find plenty of people moan about it, especially in relation to ipods. Having said that, most posts I read were from last year so hopefully any problems will be ironed out by now.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Opal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:46 am

farmboy wrote:Glad to hear that OPal. Its just that if you surf a bit you,ll find plenty of people moan about it, especially in relation to ipods. Having said that, most posts I read were from last year so hopefully any problems will be ironed out by now.

What's the supposed problem with Vista and iPods?? I don't have an iPod myself, just an iPod Shuffle! Vista as an Operating system has been great for me, and certain bit of it are so pretty, especially the button you can click to show all open windows and shuffle between them, and where you hover the mouse over minimised programmes and a little window opens to show you what's there. You have to try it to appreciate it :mrgreen:

Ah Jaysus..... I'm hearing the cheering/singing again!!!!! :shock:
Opal

Postby farmboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:51 am

:D I,m looking forward to getting it now. :cool:
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Opal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:57 am

farmboy wrote::D I,m looking forward to getting it now. :cool:

Glad to hear it..... my bro had Vista a fair few months before it was released as a guineapig to test it for Microsoft and he loved it (He's a Computer Geek!!)

It has a good firewall/antivirus protection itself so you only need a minimum of protection like AVG.

Let me know how it goes when you get it.....

And will someone PLEASE post on this thread to move it to the next page so I don't get freaked out by the cheering ;-)

I do love Bob BTW!!!
Opal

Postby spudseamus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:33 am

vista as a stand alone o/s is not too bad but dont just upgrade from xp to it save files and then do a format and then install a legal copy of Vista -- or as my eldest son (who is a network teck)says DONTTTTdo it lo,l leave well enough alone -- wait for the next full upgrade to xp--- he says Vista is what millinum was to nt -- do so at your own risk
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Next

Return to COMPUTER PROBLEMS OR TRICKS AND TIPS.