Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Postby gingertom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Local Authorities avail of the 'delegated legislation principle' when interpreting legislation to performs duties and obligations.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en#part4

Article 15 permits this.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-n ... 18-budget-€1776m

Maybe a freedom of information request would shed light upon how they spend this money...........
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Reading the above stories about empty houses and Gingertom's references to the various legal situations .... it really does convince me that the country is a joke and there is no desire to address modern problems by changing old laws.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:07 am

A random thought . . .

Why is it that I never see boys (or girls) climbing trees these days? In my day, no tree was safe from exploration out to its flimsiest extents and we could spend whole days there. There are scores of sturdy arboreal climbing frames in our immediate neighbourhood but never any (featherless) occupants.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:33 am

Careful, Micheal :lol: In some council areas around Melbourne we cannot say boys or girls. We have to say "children". Gotta be gender aware these days - no pink or blue, no Thomas The Tank Engine or Barbie. We have to be "Gender Neutral". So only children climb trees - maybe?
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Rocker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:48 am

Micheál wrote:A random thought . . .

Why is it that I never see boys (or girls) climbing trees these days? In my day, no tree was safe from exploration out to its flimsiest extents and we could spend whole days there. There are scores of sturdy arboreal climbing frames in our immediate neighbourhood but never any (featherless) occupants.

M.

:lol: :lol: same around here.But then again the children wouldn't want to ruin their designer trainers or expensive clothes. In our day it was white runners from Woolworths (whitened every night by my Da) and worn out hand me downs...the years I spent in boys old clothes... and we didn't mind patched clothes. I was looking at old photos recently and the state of the clothes!!we were raggedy little rascals!!! :lol: :lol: ..me and me big holie jumper stretched from carrying apples from orchards. :lol: :lol:

Oh, and what i meant to say....maybe our generation warned the next generation off climbing trees. We spent so many hours in Monkstown Hospital having broken arms set and concussed heads looked at!!!...just saying...
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 am

bugrock wrote:Careful, Micheal :lol: In some council areas around Melbourne we cannot say boys or girls. We have to say "children". Gotta be gender aware these days - no pink or blue, no Thomas The Tank Engine or Barbie. We have to be "Gender Neutral". So only children climb trees - maybe?

:lol: :lol: :lol: we are not that bad here ...yet...but, I made a boobo the other day. I was admiring a small child in a pink cardigan and I said "what a lovely little girl" turned out it was a little boy. :oops:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby bugrock » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:06 pm

What a lovely "CHILD". Gender Specifics a no no, Rocker. As Ronnie Drew said " in case someone comes along and is offended", or something like that. Imagine these days, someone saying "You're The Man". Shades of the pre French Revolution. Gawd, I talk a lot of shite dnc1
bugrock

Postby Strum » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:55 pm

M.

One word for that. iPHONE
Strum
Administrator

Postby gingertom » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Strum wrote:

M.

Strum I agree completely. There is no wi-fi in trees!!!!
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm

gingertom wrote:
Strum wrote:

M.

Strum I agree completely. There is no wi-fi in trees!!!!

:lol: :lol: we were just remarking that the beach was very empty today and then HID said the magic words WORLD CUP and he also added there is no wi-fi on the beach :lol: :lol: and me thinking people went to the beach for a dip!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Snowhite » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Everyone, Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, trying to catch up on all I've missed over the last while. In June I wasn't feeling very well and just put it down to a bad case of Indigestion .....Big Mistake :o I put up with the discomfort for about 3 weeks till I couldn't stick it anymore, so took myself off to the Doctor, my Doc sent me straight to St Michael's, I was given loads of tests and a bucket load of Tablets and Thank God started to feel a lot Better, so thought that's Great give me a few of those Tablets and let me go Home.........Eh Not a Chance says the Doc....Do you realize you've just had a Heart Attack :shock: :shock: Your going Nowhere except to St Vincent's Hospital in the next Available Ambulance. So that's where I ended up on the 18th June and had to stay and have so many tests done and was told I needed a Triple Bypass :shock: I was then Shifted to St James Hospital on the 3rd of July and had my Operation on the 4th July, its been tough going, very sore and very tired, but am well on the road to recovery now, I have to have another procedure done on a blocked vein in my neck in the next few weeks. I feel very Lucky to still be here it could so easily have been so different. Another good thing to come from this is I haven't smoked since the 17th of June 8-) 8-)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Micheál » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Jeez Snowhite,

That's some "journey". Great to hear you're on the mend!

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Gosh Snowy :shock:

I had missed you on here but just assumed that with the good weather you were enjoying the outdoors and entertaining and visiting.
What a shock for you! You were so fortunate with your GP and the staff in St Michaels (my favourite place) recognising the problem. We all moan about the health service but when you really need them they are amazing.

Myself and HID wish you a speedy recovery also Good Luck with the next procedure.

Great that you have been able to quit the cigarettes ….I moaned to/at HID for years and he is another success story wuu
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 pm

You've certainly been through the mixer, Snowy. Glad to hear you're on the mend, and good luck with the next bit. Certainly no harm waving goodbye to the ole' Woodbines!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Snowy, you've been through the mill, glad you're feeling better, best wishes for your continued recovery.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby bugrock » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 pm

Wish you well, Snowy. Good move with the smokes. You will soon feel like the years have dropped off, and you'll be racing around like a young wan!
If it helps, next week will be will be 32 years since my bypass. Trouble is, I felt like a new man, and that's a worry ;) ;)
Good luck to you. 8-)
bugrock

Postby Dancer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:02 am

Snowhite wrote:Hi Everyone, Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, trying to catch up on all I've missed over the last while. In June I wasn't feeling very well and just put it down to a bad case of Indigestion .....Big Mistake :o I put up with the discomfort for about 3 weeks till I couldn't stick it anymore, so took myself off to the Doctor, my Doc sent me straight to St Michael's, I was given loads of tests and a bucket load of Tablets and Thank God started to feel a lot Better, so thought that's Great give me a few of those Tablets and let me go Home.........Eh Not a Chance says the Doc....Do you realize you've just had a Heart Attack :shock: :shock: Your going Nowhere except to St Vincent's Hospital in the next Available Ambulance. So that's where I ended up on the 18th June and had to stay and have so many tests done and was told I needed a Triple Bypass :shock: I was then Shifted to St James Hospital on the 3rd of July and had my Operation on the 4th July, its been tough going, very sore and very tired, but am well on the road to recovery now, I have to have another procedure done on a blocked vein in my neck in the next few weeks. I feel very Lucky to still be here it could so easily have been so different. Another good thing to come from this is I haven't smoked since the 17th of June 8-) 8-)

Hi Snowy, sorry to hear you have been through the wars . I hope you are feeling better and contemplating all the possibilities
that are are ahead of you with all the savings you are accruing from not smoking . I wish you every good health .....xx
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Jemser » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:35 am

Hi Snowy, I had heard that you had a heart attack and a triple bypass from mutual friend's. I am very glad to hear you are now well and on the mend minus the cigarettes. You will be so happy now that you have given them the boot. I wish you all the best with your future procedure and continued good health from now onwards. Just imagine all the places and experiences you will enjoy with your new found fortune and good health. Here's to the future, best of luck. wuu
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Toss » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:59 am

Welcome back Snowy,

You are indeed very lucky and the reality is that you will soon be healthier than ever because of the advice and education process they give you as well as the fact that you are off the smokes. Great to have you back posting, do what you are told by the doc and take your time .... here's wishing you every success in the battle against the cigarettes & cholesterol, you have everyone rooting for you. wuu wuu wuu
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Snowy, sorry to hear of your travails but great to hear the news that you are on the mend. You have had a very lucky journey in some respects, albeit you have been around 3 hospitals, Thank God you went to see the Vet!
Giving up the fags is very hard, try and do something to distract yourself when you feel the urge to smoke - paint, get on here, knit - anything to keep you away from the cigs.
Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.
All the best.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Holla » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 am

Snowy,you we're so lucky to catch your hart issues in time someone very special must have been looking out for you.wishing you a speedy recovery onwards and upwards ,mind yourself.
Holla
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Snowhite » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement Re the Smokes, and for your best wishes for a speedy recovery. dnc1 I had a little setback with the wound on my leg it got infected and I had to go on to a double doze of Antibiotics for a week, but it seems to be doing good. I do feel someone was looking out for me when all this happened. I asked the Doc about the heart attack saying I always thought it was like on TV or in the Films .....as in A Fierce Pain and falling to ground saying ArGGGGGGG, he said yes but you were the Lucky One You GOT A WARNING. ;) I now just want this next procedure done and dusted so I can start looking forward to doing some travelling with all the money I've saved on not smoking which to date is 672e. :o :o
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 pm

The big trick snowy is to put the money in a box every night. We nearly died when we realised just how much HID was puffing up in smoke. It gave us a whole new life being able to travel and eat out and the big thing is better health. When you get over this little set back you will be planning your travels. Continued good health....and PS Snowy you got them all posting again!! The things you have to do for DúnLaoghaire :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Fishy story .... we really have no idea what we are eating despite what all the labels tell us :

Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Haven't been around for the past few weeks, I was volunteering with the World Meeting of Families. What a huge undertaking it was - all volunteers had to be Garda Vetted and checked out with 2 referees - Government decision. There were over 10,000 people volunteered, the friendship and overall good atmosphere was amazing.
My time was spent mainly in the call centre, up at 7.00.a.m. to be in Clonliffe College for 8.30 - 9.00. a.m. Thank God it was July/August and the traffic wasn't too bad. I used the East Link most days, got rightly held up on one occasion as there was an accident on the bridge.
The company charged with issuing the tickets were a bit of a mess. On Friday last they had to set up a site people could long onto with their reference number and print off the tickets. Before Friday they issued an email which had a link to print off the tickets but the link didn't work.
Croke Park and the Phoenix Park were a great experience, despite all the negative publicity issued by RTE. Poor Patrick Bergin was singing a Leonard Cohen song when the Pope arrived in Croker and fair play to him he continued to the end as the Pope traversed the Stadium.
Delighted I gave my time, won't be around to do it next time a Pope comes to Erin's Green Isle.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT