Genealogical Sources

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Genealogical Sources

Postby Gulliver » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I have just put up a video of a lecture by Brian Donovan of findmypast.ie. on genealogical sources - this months lecture to the Genealogical Society of Ireland - it is almost an hour long and provides a full up-to-date review of both free and paid genealogical sources. Find it on http://www.familyhistory.ie
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Harjoe wrote:Just an aside piece there should be terrazzo floors in the collage in Carriglea Park,
I know that they were being put down when I worked there for the Christian Brothers in 1957 ,they were still working on the collage at that time and some Italian company were laying terrazzo floors down at the time, in fact the great Irish wrestler Gerry Martina who represented Ireland at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 was one of the workman there I am sure his father owned the company.

That flooring system was in CBC Monkstown too.

Did I read somewhere that the guys would only work in secret, no one else being allowed to observe the process?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you Gulliver for that video of the lecture by Brian Donovan. I watched part of it and he is a good speaker giving great info. I'll watch it again tomorrow.

Micheál, I heard something like that about the terrazzo makers!They were spoken of in hushed tones and respected. Years ago when I queried why they were replacing the railway station floors ...I was told..."sure noone knows how to make terrazzo now".
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

and now for something completely different...I was doing a bit of research on a Dublin City streets and found this very interesting read.
Dublin 1756 to 1847

https://www.logainm.ie/Eolas/Data/IHTA/dublin-3.pdf
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Just in case anyone has any Canadian relatives . . . . . this just in . . .

Canadian Census 1921
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1921/Pages/search.aspx

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Just a note to let everyone know that the Genealogical Society has re-opened after almost 6 months without a premises. The fit out of its archives/library is not yet complete, but the tracing service is fully operational. It is now located in Loughlinstown behind the Leisure Centre and is open to the public on Wednesdays and on Saturday afternoons. It is close to the terminus of 7a bus
Come along and meet experienced genealogists who will help find your ancestors!!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Snowhite » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Gulliver do they have access to Old Newspapers ?? I was talking to one of the guys from The Genealogical Society in Loughlinstown a few weeks ago in The Community Rooms but as I was Helping on the day and performing in The 40th Celebrations I had to leave and never got back to him, he was a great help with info but as I said I never got back to find out more of what they could help me with.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Gulliver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes Snowhite - For Ireland they have access to the archives of the Indo, Press, Examiner, and Freemans Journal as well as many provincial newspapers. Not the Irish Times. Also a large range of UK and US papers.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:38 am

Gulliver wrote:Yes Snowhite - For Ireland they have access to the archives of the Indo, Press, Examiner, and Freemans Journal as well as many provincial newspapers. Not the Irish Times. Also a large range of UK and US papers.

Gosh that sounds marvellous.
Every so often I tip at family research and have a lot of unanswered questions which might be aided by looking through newspapers.

My maternal great grandfather was a policeman in Dún Laoghaire then for some reason ...not mentioned on his file he is dismissed then shortly afterwards in 1883 dies of a fractured skull in a coma in a Dublin hospital. Of course he could have been just a drunk but I like to think some unsavoury character "done him in". :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Rocker, have you asked for information at the Garda Museum in Dublin
Castle, they just might have some information.

Wonder who has the archives of The Mail - anyone got any info

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Sinead,

I got the great grandfathers police record from them ...a Mr Hegarty. My man must have been on a slippery slope as after a number of years of promotions he starts getting demoted then dismissed!! It was some years after he was dismissed that he died. I have since found out that he went on to be a cabman (in those days it was horse and car) and tumbled off the cab at roadworks and cracked his skull.
I would have liked to think that some criminal had had it in for him and ambushed him...Ha the detective in me...I'd say he was on the drink as it came out in the autopsy that he had been estranged from his wife ...at that stage my grandfather would only have been one or two.

I don't know where the Mail archives are held.
When I get a minute I'm going over to Loughlinstown to chat to the Genealogical Society.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Might see you in Loughlinstown some day, who knows, we might have a coffee
in the cafe in the Leisure Centre.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Dublin Metropolital Police

Full Register in order of Warrent No. (I'm supposing that equates with date of recruitment)

https://digital.ucd.ie/view-media/ucdlib:53467/canvas/ucdlib:53728

An alphbetical Index is available in "The Dublin Metropolitan Police : a complete alphabetical listing of Officers and Men, 1836-1925"
Author Jim Herlihy

Update: On Line Index here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OGSRoyc-tFH6opMWZBGG15r05iK8Isv5mRZ8ao7NkLc/edit#gid=564096864
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm

Deansgrange Cemetery

New upload for St Peters Section . . .

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/photos/tombstones/st-peters1/index.html
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 am

Micheál wrote:And for completness (I acknowledge Rocker already posted this elsewhere) . . .

Catholic Parish Registers are on-line here -

http://registers.nli.ie/

including these local parishes . . .

Monkstown http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0526
(NLoI reports it does not hold records for this parish; it was constituted as an independent Parish in 1902)

Kingstown http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0523

Glasthule http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0522

Dalkey http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0519

Blackrock http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0506

Cabinteely http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0510

Ballybrack http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0505

Loughlinstown (Rathdown Workhouse Union) http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1134
NLoI reports it does not hold records for this parish.

I'm having the time of my life going through the old parish records for Kingstown ...births and marriages from the late 1700's. I know that my relations didn't come to the Boro until the Famine time but, I've often wondered why they decided to come to this area from Glendalough. There are various people with the same surname in Tillystown (now Shankill) and Cornelscourt. Nosey me has to look at all the families and the locations listed in the early records and one place I don't know is Berries. did anyone ever come across this place? any idea where it was?
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

In which register is it mentioned? Is it recurring suggesting some local placename?
Or just once off ( which might suggest a more remote and/ or misspelt place.
Skerries?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:14 am

Micheál wrote:In which register is it mentioned? Is it recurring suggesting some local placename?
Or just once off ( which might suggest a more remote and/ or misspelt place.
Skerries?

M.

Micheál, must have another look tomorrow. It is the earliest Kingstown registers and the marriages are from all over. Thats where I found Tillystown and Tiknik (Shankill and Ticnock). I love reading the blurb written by the priests. In one of those he wrote about a dispute in the boundaries of the parishes and drew a little hand sketch of what he considered "his" patch...not his words but thats what he meant!!

I also love this early register ...it is in the days before everyone got "posh". The names are Mick, Biddy, etc none of your Michael and Bridget.
There is also reference to various couples having been previously joined by a "couple Beggar". I had never heard of them and googled...these destitute paupers believed themselves to be married, since they had paid a small sum of money to a 'couple beggar' and in return he performed a rudimentary ritual over them.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:57 am

Nowadays he'd probably be known as a professional "Humanist Marriage Registrar". Interesting, the Berries placename. Wonder if it could have been an abbreviation, or nickname for the area?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 pm

I think a "couple begger"might have been more legitimate than that.
I recall reading somewhere about (otherwise legitimate) travelling priests who operated like this. Must refresh my sources.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

For the life of me I can't find the entry for "The Berries" again. However, in 1787 Kingstown registers it could be that the priest was a bad speller but, here are some of the entries

Facerow....which | take to be fasseroe
Barnicallogh
Barnanaslingan
Trumpstown
Cabbinteely
Crinkin...I always spell this Crinken
Glasdoole......Glasthule
Laughlinstown.....we spell it Loughlinstown now
Carigmines

The handwriting is perfect and the records clear but I'm just fascinated by the attachment of families to townlands and little enclaves...we really have lost it now just being from County Dublin.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Snowhite » Sun May 13, 2018 11:19 pm

I was wondering could anyone help me with this, I've found out my Great Great Grandfather was a Public House Keeper in the late 1800's I think in Wicklow as that's where he married and lived as far as I know. Would this mean he owned it ? or only ran it ? Any ideas as to how I could find out ? his name was Dennis Byrne, I know Wicklow seems to be the Birth Place of every Byrne in History so could be tough going to find out anything. Thanks XX
Snowhite

Postby Toss » Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 am

Rocker wrote:one place I don't know is Berries. did anyone ever come across this place? any idea where it was?

Is it near Dingle ?

Sorry Rocket, too easy .... I'll slip away sheepishly !
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 am

Is it near Dingle ?
No, Toss. It's reasonably close to Cackle!
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby skins » Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 am

Snowhite wrote:I was wondering could anyone help me with this, I've found out my Great Great Grandfather was a Public House Keeper in the late 1800's I think in Wicklow as that's where he married and lived as far as I know. Would this mean he owned it ? or only ran it ? Any ideas as to how I could find out ? his name was Dennis Byrne, I know Wicklow seems to be the Birth Place of every Byrne in History so could be tough going to find out anything. Thanks XX

I just had a quick Google, Snowy, (they can't touch you for it,missus!). There's a Dennis Byrne publican, listed as being in business at Burrin Street, Carlow, in 1839. I know you said Wicklow, but that wouldn't be a million miles away, and the name has the double n spelling.

http://www.igp-web.com/Carlow/Carlow_1839_01.htm.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Snowhite » Mon May 14, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks for that Skins, I have googled it and came up with nothing, dontknow Don't think that is him though, The spelling is mine could be either one N or 2, just going by the date he was married 1851 in Wicklow and being of full age I presume he was between 18 & 21, so your date would be to early. It's stories that have passed down from my mother that has me thinking the pub would have been in Wicklow, sometimes I could kick myself because I remember her asking me to go to a Clan Byrne Celebration in Wicklow in the late 70's but sure I was to busy to go and sit with a load of old fuddy duddies................Boy Am I sorry now. scry
Snowhite

PreviousNext

Return to GENEALOGY