Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Sport

Postby jabra » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Well done Cuala
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 pm

wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Watching the Women's 6 nations earlier, and well done Ladies, but isn't it about time they came up with an alternative name for "hooker" in the Women's games?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 am

Strum wrote:Watching the Women's 6 nations earlier, and well done Ladies, but isn't it about time they came up with an alternative name for "hooker" in the Women's games?

Depends whether you work for Oxfam or not http://www.thejournal.ie/oxfam-aid-haiti-3842119-Feb2018/

Donate, donate, donate ....... plenty of heads in the sand after this me thinks.

Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby jabra » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm

What a comeback for Spurs last night after going 2 ni down after 9 mins. in the champions league.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:13 pm

I watched it,great match,plenty of good football. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby jabra » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 pm

I was shown a photo today of Pearse Rovers under 13's not sure of the year but the keeper is our own keeper here on the site.
I recognised all but two even though I am older than all of them.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Good performance by Liverpool tonight. I thought Mo Salah's goal was the essence of coolness,al a Jimmy Greaves. I don't think Jimmy's style would suit the present Liverpool team too much running required for our Jimmy. The only time he saw the half way line was at the kick-off,but as a footballer you couldn't but love him.
Denis Cromie

Postby keeper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:11 am

Jimmy was a character alright, the modern game wouldn't suit the great strikers of our day !! Sniffer Clark was another one.
Were Liverpool great or were Porto just bad, didn't test Liverpools defence that much, still Liverpool, Man City and even Spurs set for the last eight, which leaves Man Utd and Chelsea next to see if the Premiership have 5 teams in the last 8.
Jabra ! The year of that photo is most likely 1959 ! I haven't got a copy of it, is Gerry Flynn or Tony Hill in it ? Jimmy Massey ? John Kinch ?
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Holla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:56 am

jabra wrote:I was shown a photo today of Pearse Rovers under 13's not sure of the year but the keeper is our own keeper here on the site.
I recognised all but two even though I am older than all of them.

Jabra,have you seen the" soccer in the Boro "site by our own harjo you'll be glued to it .
Holla

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am

Gosh Holla I'd forgotten just how good that book by Harjo is!!

Here are the teams

http://www.soccerintheboro.com/teams-a-to-z.php
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jabra » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Denis your right about Jimmy Greaves and the half way line but to me he was the greatest goal poacher of all.
He still holds the record at Spurs for most goals scored but if Kane stays Jimmy's record will be broken.
I remember him being interviewed and he said yes I suppose people call me lazy but don't forget any manager
I played under told me to just hang around the box and the others will give you the ball and your job is to put
it in the netand he duly obliged. As for his England career per games played he had a better record than
Bobby Charlton for goals scored
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby jabra » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Keeper
The team in that photo was John Kinch r.i.p Jimmy Massey r.i.p. Harold Wynne J merrigan J Doolan Cormack Becton Christy Massey Eamon Lawless
Jimmy Hobson Ger Flynn and your good self. The two managers/trainers were Joe O'Connor r.i.p. and John Lennon r.i.p. Tony Hill is not in the photo
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby jabra » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Holla
Yes indeed I read soccer in the boro a fantastic book by Harjoe
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Holla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

jabra wrote:Holla
Yes indeed I read soccer in the boro a fantastic book by Harjoe

Read the book myself a great read but have you see the site "soccer in the boro ".
Holla

Postby keeper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks Jabra and Rocker for info and link. That photo brings back great memories of the lads in it. It was taken just beside the priest's house garage.
keeper

Postby Toss » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Well done to the egg chasers, they deserved their grand slam and well done Cuala .... who stayed in there when others would have crumbled wuu

Well done to Rory McIlroy as well .... that finish was amazing golf.

All in all a great sporting weekend for the Irish and my Paddy Power account is suddenly looking a lot healthier after the misery of the first three days at Cheltenham where I hexed everything I backed :P
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 am

Did you do a treble on Ireland, Mcilroy and Cuala Toss ? Pity Cuala didn't make it a win, terrific game, looking forward to replay, glad your wallet is fatter than it usually is :roll: :roll:
keeper

Postby Toss » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:55 pm

keeper wrote:Did you do a treble on Ireland, Mcilroy and Cuala Toss ?

No .... I stay away from GAA betting as I really dont have enough info on the game. Most of my bets are soccer based as thats where I know the players and the stats. I opened my online account about about ten years ago with a tenner and have never looked back. Its a great passtime so long as you can do so with the understanding that the bookies control the game and they are in it to make money. My usual bet is a €1 accumulator with 5 teams to win and then maybe a bet on a centre half to score the first goal in games as they are usually 33/1 or better .... its a numbers game and I know enough and have seen enough to confirm that gambling is not a great career move ! (it is the worst addiction as you can lose everything very quickly).

I like the new advert about gambling that says at the very end .... 'when the fun stops, STOP' never a truer word.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Sensible man Toss ! When I was working we used to get "inside " information on certain horses, it was invariably wrong BangHead but there was one pundit who would look at the card and wouldn't have one bet all day !! but, if he contacted you before a race and said put your money on horse X you got to a bookies a.s.a.p !! only a couple of times over the years did we lose !!! How strange was that :roll:
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Backed Native River in the Gold Cup but that was the only winner I collected on,so I lost a few bob. The Gold Cup was a great race and I enjoyed every moment, both horses and jockeys were brilliant and it was nearly worth losing me few bob. Punters don't really have much chance of winning when even the jockeys are not sure which is the best horse in the stable. Nevertheless I enjoy having a bet at Cheltenham, not too fond of the Flat though.
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Well done Cuala. Listened to the match on the radio, if I were a nail biter they would
have been down to the quick. I thought it was going to be extra time again.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Fantastic achievement - back to back Champions coming from an area where hurling would be considered a minority sport behind soccer, tennis, golf, sailing, rugby, chess, kite-flying and snooker!

And the vast majority of players have parents - and grandparents - from the Borough.

Great to hear the lads being interviewed too. So articulate - as gaelige! None of your "Ah sure look Marty, I suppose. . . Yeah-no-yeah . . .I suppose . . ."

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 am

Micheál wrote:Fantastic achievement - back to back Champions coming from an area where hurling would be considered a minority sport behind soccer, tennis, golf, sailing, rugby, chess, kite-flying and snooker!

And the vast majority of players have parents - and grandparents - from the Borough.

Great to hear the lads being interviewed too. So articulate - as gaelige! None of your "Ah sure look Marty, I suppose. . . Yeah-no-yeah . . .I suppose . . ."

M.

Yippeeeeee well done all.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm

They were brilliant.When they went 2 goals up I thought ah sure they're home and hosed and then Na Phiarsaigh got back level and I thought they'll have the upper hand now, but no, Cuala showed their resilience and went on to win. Great stuff. wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT