Jemser's Photos

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Re: Jemser's Photos

Postby Jemser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:45 pm

It was time to move on from Whistler and go down to Horshoe Bay near vancouver to take the ferry to the Sunshine Coast where we stayed with friends. One of the hikes we went on was to a place called Skookumchuck and I was assured that it was a very famous place in Canada, personally I had never hear of it. However Wikipaedia has and here is the description from that site.
"Skookumchuck Narrows forms the entrance of Sechelt Inlet on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast in Canada. Before broadening into Sechelt Inlet, all of its tidal flow together with that of Salmon Inlet and Narrows Inlet must pass through Sechelt Rapids. At peak flows, whitecaps and whirlpools form at the rapids even in calm weather. The narrows are also the site of a Skookumchuk Narrows Provincial Park.

Each day, tides force large amounts of seawater through the narrows—200 billion US gallons (760,000,000 m3) of water on a 3-metre (9.8 ft) tide. The difference in water levels on either side of the rapids can exceed 2 metres (6.6 ft) in height. Current speeds can exceed 16 knots (30 km/h),[1] up to 17.68 knots (32.74 km/h).[2] Although it is sometimes claimed to be the fastest tidal rapids in the world,[3] Norway's Saltstraumen reaches speeds of 20 knots (37 km/h).
So with that in mind here are some photos.

These are some of the mountains we passed on the trip back to Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal.

One of the beaches we stopped at for a break.

Almost there.

On our way, goodbye Vancouver and Whistler, hello Gibsons.

Here is one of the houses we stayed in.

Some of the spectators and canoeists waiting to tackle Skookumchucks tidal rapids and waves.

It getting bigger, nearly ready.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Jemser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:53 pm

So here they are, the crazy people that line up to tackle Skookumchuck......

More to follow.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Jemser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Skookumchuck continued.....

Maybe some more tomorrow, hope you enjoyed them.
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Fabulous photos. That is an interesting language on the road sign under the English. Is it an Indian language?
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 pm

They're brilliant Jemser. Weren't you great to tackle the Skookumchuck on your first time there. The name reminds me of the Last of the Mohicans Chingaskook or something like that. Looks an absolutely beautiful country.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Snowhite » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Fab photo's Jemser, I've always wanted to go to Canada you may just have given me the push to go visit my relations over there ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Holla » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 am

Great photos jemser you must be having a ball you have us all with itchy feet here thanks for sharing.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Class photos Jem. ;) thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:09 pm

Great photos Jemser. wuu wuu wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Thu May 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Well folks, some time ago I promised Bugrock that I would share some photos of a trip to Memphis to see Graceland and Sun Records et. So after a ...ahem... few years I came across the photos and so here they are. Hope you like them.

This is a selection of photos from Sun Studios, it is situated in a rather run down area of Memphis. It was very famous and all the greats recorded there at one time or another. It's all original and they have Sam Phillips desk, all the microphones and instruments used by Elvis, Cash, Lewis etc. The drum kit was donated by U2 when they recorded there. The guide was terrific and really enthusiastic about the wonderful and amazing history of this hallowed place. Any questions I'm sure that Bugrock knows the answers.
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby keeper » Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Great photos Jemser wuu brilliant to see you posting up photos again :lol:
keeper

Postby Jemser » Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks Keeper, after a little sail through the doldrums, there seems to be a renewed vigour around the site once again. So I decided to keep my promise and put up a few photos, I have some more of Memphis and Graceland and I hope to put those up next week.
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby bugrock » Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks for the photos, Jemser. Great to have been there. I really appreciate your posting of them.
BTW, has anyone watched the TY series called "Sun Records"?
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Holla » Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 am

Great photos jemser thanks for sharing.
Holla

Postby Strum » Sat May 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Great photos Jem. I'm a bit confused about that Guitar fixed to the lamp post. The top photo it's a left-hander and below it's a right-hander. Question is, are the controls, strings etc on both sides?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun May 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Again brilliant photos Jemser. I hope you recorded a song while you were there,might get Sun Records back in the charts again. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby Jemser » Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Thanks Denis, not a recording, but I did sing an Elvis number into a mic that Elvis actually used for recording. Strum the guitar you asked about is bolted to the corner of the building and the controls, strings etc, are on both sides of the piece.
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 am

Good stuff Jemser a duet with Elvis (well you sang into the same mic) not many can say that.Wonderful experience.
Denis Cromie

Previous

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.