Killiney placename

Photographs and Images from around Killiney

Killiney placename

Postby Micheál » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:42 pm

Does anyone know when and why Killiney burst out of its Village and nearby Strand ( with its own Council and Town Hall) To engulf present day Ballinclea, Rochestown, Thomastown, Sallynoggin, Watsons, Avondale , Ballybrack and Shankill?

The bit I find hardest to reconcile is the idea of some visitor alighting from the Dart and asking for directions to the Shopping Centre.

Its not as if, like Blackrock, a PO Sorting Office caused the trend. I can see how address snobbery may have played a part but how the heck could the Council collaborate with such a practice?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Re: Killiney placename

Postby Sinead » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 pm

It depends whether or not you are buying or selling a house in the area.
The area of Killiney Urban District Council was very clearly defined and
covered Killiney/Ballybrack. The shops in Ballybrack Village were built
by this Council.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:18 am

Micheál wrote:. I can see how address snobbery may have played a part but how the heck could the Council collaborate with such a practice? M.

It could well be that some of the decison makers live in the surrounds as well and are more than happy to attach their homes to a more affluent area ... all you have to do is look at how far Foxrock has spread. The true Foxrock addresses are all English .... Westminister, Brighton and Torquay Roads, outside of that is where the Mrs Buckets of this world reside :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure what matter, we all have our new eircodes :roll: whatever that is
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 am

Try getting off the DART at killiney and asking for the Village.....put on your hiking boots and set off up the hill. The area around the Druid's Chair Pub is a vibrant little village but, not really near anywhere.I know people living behind the church in Sallynoggin and they call their address Killiney and then those down at the Military Road are really Ballybrack.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:15 pm

Wait till you see, one of these days the trend will be reversed, and Enya will be desperately trying to claim that she resides in Sallynoggin Upper!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Haha Skins. :D

When I lived in Cherrywood, Loughlinstown the neighbours called it Killiney :roll: wheras I just called it Loughlinstown where I WAS. I don't know if it includes Shankill Michael. I do know the Killiney address ends at the Brookdene estate, so the border is the Commons Road.
Strum
Administrator

Postby jabra » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm

there is an estate of houses called Killiney Gate and they are right in Ballybrack village
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:17 am

Since I moved to Killiney or is it Ballybrack??I have been having little (very little till I get fit) walks around the place and I like Ballybrack as a village. There is a great chemist which sells almost anything you need as well as medicines, a hairdresser/beauty salon, a chipper and a chinese takeaway, a barbers, a bookies, two pubs, two shops, a post office and a RC church. There is also a vibrant community and locals chatting at the garage(forgot to mention that). The bus service is not what I would like could be better but, the walk to the DART is too long for someone not in the full of their health. Did Dublin Bus ever consider a shuttle to the station?

The railway station since it is demanned is quickly becoming a nogo area at night. The drinking season is upon us and gangs travel to the beach with cans and find a comfortable sitting area at the station and if the night is cool remain drinking there. I for one will not pass them at night. The station should be locked at seven and a side gate opened to allow passengers get out of the station.

Sinage to the beach is appalling. Strangers stand around wondering how to get on the beach and when they do find the steps...hold your breath, human urine, faeces , dogs poo, leaking woverhead water pipes and undesirables hanging around ...lurking...the other alternative is to walk through the car park and go in a slightly better route...BIG need for the council to make this gorgeous amenity user friendly to signpost, clean and control the area. Flags are put up to alert when the lifeguards are on duty but, how many even know what they look like or where they are or where they should safely swim....

Other than the little coffee at the station which is excellent there is no where to have a meal near the beach...this area could be a gold mine why doesn't the Council let part of the car park to concessions and lets get the place throbbing. People come for the view and the fresh air and don't all want to swim just need a decent meeting location with good facilities....I won't go on about the public toilets in the car park...unmanned, unloved.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm

wuu
When did you move Rocker? Were you in Blackrock before?
How about Killibrack, a la Strum's Sallygeary?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a shame that the Killiney beach / station area is as you describe.
Sounds quite dangerous.
It really does need a major overhaul/investment.
dnc1
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Sinead » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:52 am

On occasions I have met tourists on the Military Road looking for Killiney Village, they got off the dart
in Killiney.
Agree with your comments on the bus service, when we were young it was much better. I think the
7 should be extended to the Village of Ballybrack.
By the way, you forgot to mention the Credit Union and the Laundry/Cleaners. Great places to meet
and talk.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Sinead wrote:On occasions I have met tourists on the Military Road looking for Killiney Village, they got off the dart
in Killiney.
Agree with your comments on the bus service, when we were young it was much better. I think the
7 should be extended to the Village of Ballybrack.
By the way, you forgot to mention the Credit Union and the Laundry/Cleaners. Great places to meet
and talk.

Sinéad

:lol: :lol: see I told you I was only a blow in...walking very slow. Big omission :oops:
:lol: I never mentioned the Funeral parlour either!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to KILLINEY.