Stillorgan Shopping Centre

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Stillorgan Shopping Centre

Postby stillorgan boy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi All, it's been a long time ! I found this on the internet, not really sure what year it was drafted though. I would guess late seventies early eighties. I thought it might be of some interest given that many people from Dun Laoghaire, Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Shankill, Bray etc. worked in the Stillorgan Shopping Centre back then.
Attachments
381224_282838835154308_241731372_n.jpg
Schematic of Stillorgan shopping Centre
381224_282838835154308_241731372_n.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
Your never fully dressed without a smile !
stillorgan boy

Re: Stillorgan Shopping Centre

Postby Rocker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Stillorgan Boy,

Great to hear from you. That is so interesting. I remember when they built the Shopping Centre we thought we were so posh then the Bowling alley and the Swiss Chalet. It was so before it's time. The shopping Centre was built in the early sixties. all the lads from oatlands went into the Bowling Alley every day (it must have been cheap then) and they got really good at the game. That is of course, when they wern't mitching and swinging on the trees in the woods.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:00 am

stillorgan1963.jpg
stillorgan1963.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Snowy put up a photo of what the area looked like before the building of the shopping centre. Here that is
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby stillorgan boy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Shows how much of a village Stillorgan was back then. That's the main Dublin road before the dual carriageway was built. You can see the old cottages (there was a Moore's Terrace but not sure if these were them ??) along what is now the perimeter of the shopping centre car park, the cottages were built in the early 19th century and were demolished to accommodate the building of the shopping centre. The Old Bolands Pub to the right of photo on top of Stillorgan Hill, again to its right is the Old Ormonde Cinema built in 1954. Incidently the shopping centre itself was opened in 1966, the first shopping centre in Ireland and wait for it .......it was opened by Dickie Rock. deadly !
stillorgan boy

Postby Toss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:39 pm

stillorgan boy wrote:Hi All, it's been a long time ! I found this on the internet, not really sure what year it was drafted though. I would guess late seventies early eighties. I thought it might be of some interest given that many people from Dun Laoghaire, Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Shankill, Bray etc. worked in the Stillorgan Shopping Centre back then.

Im not sure how accurate that drawing is or what it relates to in iterms of planning ..... but it has some details that are interesting. The pub in the corner was known as The Oyster Bar and Grill once it closed, the license went elsewhere outside of the S/C.

Pennys opened its first shop in 1969 in Mary Street so they were not in existence in 1966 when the Stillorgan SC was built ... so those plans are probably from the 70s.

The bit that interests me is the bank beside the Jewellers with the Kiosk in front ........ its the BOI and back in the day it had a nightsafe to the right in the corner as you walked passed the kiosk. 'Allegedly' one weekend along came some builders (unquestioned by all in office) and by Friday evening a temporary hoarding was erected in the corner where the night safe was located. This hoarding contained a genuine Bank of Ireland night safe with a sign saying Temp night safe in operation during construction works. This temp safe had no pins in the lock and as a result any key would open it. In the Stillorgan area was the Bowl, the Cinema, pubs, the Stillorgan Park Hotel and many more local businesses .... many of these used the night safe on Fri, Sat and Sun nights. Upon arriving to work on Monday morning, the Bank Manager found the hoarding to to shoved open and two plastic chairs sitting behind it :o whoever carried out the sting, walked away with a tidy sum and was never seen again !!! ..... I love that story and like to believe it to be true :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby stillorgan boy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Yes I remember the Oyster bar tucked in there. They subsequently built a crèche to the left of it. The crèche remained there for many years afterwards.
stillorgan boy

Postby Strum » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Ha, great story Toss I vaugely remember hearing something about that. :D
Yep great memories SB. I worked in Stillorgan over a few years, South County Hotel and the S/C and met a lot of friends up there from different areas, 3 ex's too haha, lunch breaks playing Space Invaders in the Bowling Alley. We got bowling lessons from a friends older brother in the early 70's. I can't see the right side of the photo but was the pub callel Madigans or was it another Mooney's? I saw many great films in the Ormond over the years too. Great times indeed. :D
#
I was looking for an old mate and came across this today...exactly as printed as in the heading...

WHAT HAPPENED TO DICKIE ROCK?

Lemass opens Stillorgan centre
The Irish Times Dec 2, 1966;

Mr Sean Lemass, T.D., yesterday officially opened the £1,400,000 shopping centre built by the Metropolitan Estate and Property Corporation (Ireland) Ltd., at Stillorgan, Co. Dublin. Mrs. Lemass unveiled a bronze centrepiece entitled the Fiddler of Dooney.
Mr. Lemass said the centre marked a step forward in the continually changing process of economic development. He stressed the importance of promoting the sale of Irish goods and asked traders to ensure that such products were adequately displayed and that their merits were brought to the attention of customers.
Mr. C.E.M. Hardie, C.B.E., F.C.A. Chairman, M.E.P.C. (London), said the centre had been designed, built and financed in Ireland. He said he believed the modern structure added something architecturally to Dublin.
The centre was blessed by the Very Rev. Brendan Harley, P.P.

1146526_716718991731178_4142561494161807236_n.jpg
1146526_716718991731178_4142561494161807236_n.jpg (247.82 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:47 pm

Great info there wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu

The Sting - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
which reminds me The Ormond or whatever it's called now cinema =a little over €11 to see a film there now :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:and that's the 5.15 showing argueee argueee argueee argueee argueee argueee
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby stillorgan boy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:05 am

There are bad cops and there are good cops and then there's Bullitt !
stillorgan boy

Postby stillorgan boy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 am

Was Sean Lemass in Dickie Rocks band ? !!! :lol:
stillorgan boy

Postby stillorgan boy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Rush Hour in Old Stillorgan !
stillorgan boy

Postby Strum » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Nice little painting of the same spot I saw yesterday.

organ.JPG
organ.JPG (42.64 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby stillorgan boy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Nice one Strum.
stillorgan boy

Postby Strum » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:50 pm

I knew I knew that story from somewhere Toss, it was a Mike Murphy hidden camera skit wasn't it? :lol: ;) NO?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:44 am

Two great photos lads. Now you really have me thinking Stillorgan boy. We used to visit my Great Uncle when I was a small child and I think we went into a road across from those cottages called Glenalbyn. He lived in the last house and the garden sloped down to the old Dublin road. They had a little shop in a tin hut which I think you could get to from the main road. I remember a horse trough on the main road.Years later the new road cut through the garden and there are apartment now where the house used to be.The thing that sticks in my mind 60 years later is the two hedges at each side of the little gate ..they were clipped into the shape of two Roosters..the first time i saw topiary.
Last edited by Rocker on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Rocker wrote:they were clipped into the shape of two cocks...the first time i saw topiary.

I assume you mean Roosters Rocker? :lol:

Was the trough opposite the Mill house at a bus terminus there? I think it was the 64 bus?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Strum,

The one I remember was opposite the John of Gods at the end of my Granduncles garden before the new road was made.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Rocker wrote:Strum,

The one I remember was opposite the John of Gods at the end of my Granduncles garden before the new road was made.

Ah, ok not what I was thinking, I know where you mean though, bet my Wife knew it, she's from up that way, Waltersland rd I think it's called.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:54 pm

I suppose some of you have different memories of the early days of the Bowling Alley, do any of you remember a blonde lassie in micro mini skirt, knee length white platform boots who later went on to be famous, well depending on what your view of what famous means, still with us and still as loud !!! lots of lads were fans of her technique as she lined up her approach to release the bowl :o Guess who :shock:
keeper

Postby skins » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Not our old friend "zip up yer m....", by any chance?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Twink?
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 pm

So yiz do remember :lol: :lol: no fooling you lads :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby Strum » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:25 pm

I was just guessing from your description Keeper. :D Was she from Kilmacud/Goatstown?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Maxi is the girl for me. Her voice is devine.

NM
Navanman

Postby stillorgan boy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Did anyone work in Quinnsworth, Stillorgan back in the day ?
stillorgan boy

Next

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.