DLRCoCo

Activities, Festivals, Exhibitions etc...

DLRCoCo

Postby Micheál » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 am

Hi All,

I thought it worthwhile to start this new topic to focus on DLRCoCo activites. Im not promoting any political agenda here - just feel it would be good to have some focus, and maybe discussion, on whats happening ( or not)under the Councils remit.

Heres a start. Latest Council minutes. (Good luck trying to navigate to these from the DLRCoCo homepage)
http://www.dlrcoco.ie/meetings/2006Mins.htm#Minutes2013
Theres usually something for everyone here - whether its your local area, how your Councillor voted, finances, heritage, even insomniacs.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Re: DLRCoCo

Postby Toss » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:42 am

Insomniacs indeed .... theres certainly some interseting info there, but where do you start? I see in May 2013, 32 seminars were graced with the presence of one or more of our elected representatives. However only 4 of these seminars were reported upon by those who went .... so basically 88% of the seminars go unreported and this begs the question, why bother?.

:( and I wont even ask about pensions and lump sum payments for fear of opening pandoras box. :D
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 pm

A more basic one..Electrical recycling at Dell Cherrywood on Saturday 21st September.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/media/media,9786,en.pdf
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 pm

"Well accept anything household with a plug . . . "

Does that mean I can finally get rid of my old bath? :D

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 am

:lol: :lol: Did you say old bat?? ;) Oh bath ..that goes in the neighbours skip...one next door to me last week and it was filled and emptied about ten times every day...white van territory...back on topic DLRCoCo should do more of the big skips in estates that they used to do a few years ago...therapeutic...
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 am

To give credit where credit is due, the parks department does a good job. Not only do they cover the actual parks, they also put flowers on certain lampposts and in pots and tubs at certain locations. They also do the green areas in estates, etc. Some of these services have been outsourced recently, but the new guys doing it are good too.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am

The Parks Dept are THE best. My old pal Willie O'Connor looked after the trees on this estate as if they were his children and Susan who puts up will all my moaning about trees, overgrowth, laneways etc. etc... should be canonised! :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Gulliver wrote:To give credit where credit is due, the parks department does a good job. Not only do they cover the actual parks, they also put flowers on certain lampposts and in pots and tubs at certain locations. They also do the green areas in estates, etc. Some of these services have been outsourced recently, but the new guys doing it are good too.

Outsourcing ...... not sure I like that type of decision making as its usually a penny pinching exercise that cuts workers wages and pensions etc.

Of course you and Rocker are 100% correct, the Parks Dept are one of the most successful in the country. Tom Jones, noo I mean Tom Byrne ;) and his team are a credit to their profession, long may they continue to serve Dun Laoghaire so well.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Toss wrote:
Of course you and Rocker are 100% correct, the Parks Dept are one of the most successful in the country. Tom Jones, noo I mean Tom Byrne ;) and his team are a credit to their profession, long may they continue to serve Dun Laoghaire so well.

By that remark Toss I take it you know Tom well..... (Delilah) :lol: Tom and his team do a fantastic job couldn't say enough about them, they always have Dun Laoghaire and surrounding areas looking really great, also my son is married to Tom's daughter ;) so have to keep in good with the in laws :D :D
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Rocker wrote:A more basic one..Electrical recycling at Dell Cherrywood on Saturday 21st September.

You can get rid of ALL appliances in Power City in Sallynoggin anytime. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 am

Gulliver wrote: . . . the parks department . . . also put flowers on certain lampposts and in pots and tubs at certain locations

A far-from-convincing DLRCoCo Lady on Radio - The Right Hook -the other day. When asked what the Council was doing to address the business crisis in Dun Laoghaire, she saw fit to mention "putting up nice flowers" as one of their principal actions. So now you know - the solution to the problem is in hand.

The irony of ironies was that George's other guest - articulating the problems the traders were facing - was Ann Joyce - a local Florist. I don't suppose the Council are among her customers.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 pm

dlr Arts Grant Scheme 2014 Closing Date - 28th October 2013

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council has a scheme of grants for the purpose of providing financial assistance to individual artists, arts groups and arts organisations engaged in arts projects or events at local or county level. Grants are also available to support the professional development and arts practice of individual artists, arts groups and organisations.
Individual artists, arts groups and arts organisations working in all art-forms (architecture, circus, craft, dance, film, literature, music, opera, spectacle, street art, theatre, traditional arts and visual arts) are eligible to apply. Collaborative applications are also welcomed.

Grants are available for the arts activity taking place during 2014.

For further information please call (01) 2047024 or follow the read more link to access the guidelines and application form.
Read More
Dance Classes at Dance Theatre of Ireland New Term Starts Sept 23rd

Don’t miss a night of FREE classes and performances at Dance Theatre of Ireland on "Culture Night" Friday September 20th 6:45-9pm. For all ages, no booking necessary, just drop in!

Registration is now on for a new term of classes starting September 23 – December 1 2013 at Dance Theatre of Ireland’s Centre for Dance, Dun Laoghaire.

Dance Theatre of Ireland is Grand Aided by dlr County Council.
There is something for all ages and interests with daytime, evening and weekend classes every week including: Contemporary Dance, Hip Hop, Ballet, Body Conditioning/Contemporary Dance, Yoga, Pilates, Modern Dance for 3-8 year olds, Dance ‘n Fitness, Ballroom, Latin and Wedding Dances, Dancehall and more.

For timetables, information and to enroll call 012803455, email info@dancetheatreireland.com

Dance Theatre of Ireland is Grand Aided by dlr County Council.

Grainstore Radio Show Sunday 9.30-11.00pm on DSFM 93.9

The Grainstore, dlr’s Youth Arts Facility have a new radio show on Dublin South 93.9FM. Broadcasting every Sunday from 9.30 to 11pm, the Grainstore Radio Show focus’ primarily on music and will showcase the diversity and creativity of musicians and artists all over the county. The radio show started last Sunday, September 15th with live sets from CANVAS Unplugged which took place in the Grainstore courtyard on September 1st. If you missed it, you can always podcast it from the Dublin South FM website. http://dublinsouthfm.ie

On the Grainstore Radio Show every week you will have the opportunity to hear music written, recorded, composed by young artists from all over the county. Tune in to the show on Dublin South FM at 93.9 on your radio, or stream it at http://dublinsouthfm.ie

All the monthly CANVAS Sessions will be broadcast on the Grainstore Radio Show, however don’t forget you can always join us for the gig itself. The next CANVAS Sessions gig is on Sunday September 29th at 2pm and will feature sets by Aido Mac, Rosa Kearns, Cahill & Conor and Joanna Byford to name a few. You can find more information by visiting the Grainstore website: http://dlrgrainstore.ie

Arts Office, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, IRELAND.
Tel: + 353 1 2719531, Email: arts@dlrcoco.ie, Web: www.dlrcoco.ie/arts
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Are grants available for ukulele lessons :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:19 pm

I was at the Opera Gala night last Saturday in the Pavilion. It was presented by the Glasthule Opera Co, and in particular featured local singers whose training has been funded by DLRCOCO - these singers are singing mainly abroad, because there is not sufficient opportunity for them at home. A very good nights entertainment and much credit to DLRCOCO.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 pm

grammer wrote:Are grants available for ukulele lessons :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ????

:D :D :D :D :D
Apologies for the sheer exuberance of smilies but I've just fallen out of the bed with the laughing Grammer

M.

Yeah, my own bed. dontknow
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Navanman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm

I know this is not DLRCoCo but I got 2 tickets a couple of years ago for a musical show in Virginia Co. Cavan. It is run by a musical family from the area. I was only in the theatre when the set was being finalised the day before the show and it was magnificant. My wife and daughter went to the show and they said the quality of the singing was nothing short of professional and a terriffic night out. Really some great talent out there.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 am

Navaman,
Have to agree with you. Amazing talent out there. In a small hick town in the middle of no where my nephew's young wife realised a local charity needed help. She set about a committee and in no time had a concert organised. For weeks before the concert she went around with a video and shot footage of the performers in their home, on their farms, at their jobs, with their families. Then on the night of the concert the proceedings were filmed. She produced the most amazing video of ordinary men and women in their everyday life and in their alter egos as Elvis, Tina Turner etc...a masterpiece for posterity. The concert ran for a week...packed houses every night...people came from every adjoining village...the videos sold like hot cakes and €14,000 was realised for the charity.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:58 am

Micheál wrote:
grammer wrote:Are grants available for ukulele lessons :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ????

:D :D :D :D :D
Apologies for the sheer exuberance of smilies but I've just fallen out of the bed with the laughing Grammer

M.

Yeah, my own bed. dontknow

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Micheál
but why not ???
seems there are grants available for every Tom, Dick, Harriot and the dancing poetry reciting cat
Jaaaazzzz they are even paying authors to promote their books -in the "Pavilion"
I wonder could I bullxxxitt about growing up in the deprived '40s/50s for a half an hour, would they give me a show in The Pav.???
Seems to me the Corpo- ooops sorry DLRC have sackfuls of dosh to throw around on anything as long as it can be classed as "Artistic"
but no money for real work
like .............
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 am

grammer wrote:I wonder could I bullxxxitt about growing up in the deprived '40s/50s for a half an hour, would they give me a show in The Pav.???

There is a huge lack of really decent plays and sit coms...write your memoirs...go to Snowy's man shed ...get your gang together...rehearse..and present the finished product to the Pav..you might be surprised...it would be a best seller..."Tall Tales to rival Tall Ships"...a local hero tells it as it was!!
Then we could place the project with a Holywood Director and make a fillum....now you are talking..all of us in bit parts or "cameos"..your music and songs interspersed..Gawd the Commitments would have nothing on you...I'm getting excited now...go for it Grammer 3some
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:34 pm

The Council did the same thing here in our little town. Demolished the public seawater baths and built a private swimming pool with fitness centre, thus installing a yuppie regime, and with it's high prices, cast the working families to the wind.
Is there not one of us on this site that hasn't had the best of times in the old Baths? BangHead
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Micheál » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:48 am

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:57 am

Interesting.

Separately, the council has passed its annual budget. The completion of the €165 million budget was delayed because of protracted negotiations with Irish Water and the Department of the Environment over the transfer of assets and responsibilities to the new authority. The council will continue to maintain Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown’s water service under a service level agreement with the water authority.

Just copied this from that irish Times report. My reading of this is "The council will continue to maintain Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown’s water service under a service level agreement with the water authority." ??????? what are they talking about.....why have irish Water spend 50 million or its it 100 million on consultants and this looks like one Council will continue in the old order???....am I dreaming???????
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 pm

When I left Ireland in 1973 Pottery road was ear marked for major reconstruction , it is pleasing to see they have started works on it ! :shock:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Micheál » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:53 pm

I heard (but cant verify) that much of this work was funded by one or more of the Manufacturing plants on the road.

Anyone know?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS