Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Postby skins » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't know whether Denis or any of the rest of you have seen them before, but there are several photos on the Irish Photo Archive of a visit by Irish fashion models to the Boland's Biscuit Factory in 1963. Somebody on Facebook suggested that one of them may be Terry Wogan's wife, Helen.

http://irishphotoarchive.photoshelter.c ... =usrSearch
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Enjoyed looking at those, skins. Thanks.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:21 am

Denis will have to tell us who the employees are.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Yes, surprised he hasn't commented.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Reckon Denis must be away, not like him to ignore a post about Bolands.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Snowhite » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Omg watching the News about the fire in London, how frightening :shock: I've been caught up twice in suspected Fires in high rise buildings, both times in Liverpool one over 20 odd yrs ago and then last year. Thank God both came to nothing, The first time it was a toaster (we didn't know at the time) in the kitchen of the Moat House Hotel, there were about 40 of us scattered throughout the hotel, we had been out for a few drinks and then on to a club so we were all quiet inebriated and tried, the alarm raised us a little after we had gone to bed (which was probably around 4am) I remember looking out the window and seeing so many Fire brigades below and just standing watching them, till someone banged on our door telling us to get out, stupidly we stopped to get dressed and then left the room, and only then did we realize you couldn't use the lifts :? so with all the other people shouting and screaming we got to the stairs to get out, it was so scary then because it was the first time it dawned on me how serious this was,( I was worried about the shopping I had done for my kids for Christmas) we got out at the back of the hotel and were greeted we wolf whistles from a group of builders working next to the hotel, by then the powers that be had discovered it was only the toaster...........we were allowed back into the hotel a little while later. And then last year same scenario a few drinks till late and tiredness four of us this time, all in bed when we heard a noise but didn't know what it was we were all thinking it was the others phone ?? anyway one of the girls got up to look and said it was coming from the landing outside our apartment, she opened the door and all the people from the other apartments were on the landing in PJ's and underwear :shock: they said it was a Fire Alarm but it had gone off two nights running and they were sick complaining about it, eventually a security guy came up and said it was a false alarm and everyone went back to their rooms.........me I was awake all feckin night........just incase and then storm Doris hit :roll: I can imagine the panic of those people in that high rise building, your whole body goes into panic and to have the where with all to get down stairs from 24 floors up knowing there is fire raging around you and then if you have kids. OMG just doesn't bare thinking about. I wonder when all is sorted out will it emerge that corners were cut. I'd say yes there were. God Bless & Prayers go out to all involved.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Toss » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Snowhite wrote:Omg watching the News about the fire in London, how frightening :shock: I've been caught up twice in suspected Fires in high rise buildings, both times in Liverpool one over 20 odd yrs ago and then last year. Thank God both came to nothing, The first time it was a toaster (we didn't know at the time) in the kitchen of the Moat House Hotel, there were about 40 of us scattered throughout the hotel, we had been out for a few drinks and then on to a club so we were all quiet inebriated and tried, the alarm raised us a little after we had gone to bed (which was probably around 4am) I remember looking out the window and seeing so many Fire brigades below and just standing watching them, till someone banged on our door telling us to get out, stupidly we stopped to get dressed and then left the room, and only then did we realize you couldn't use the lifts :? so with all the other people shouting and screaming we got to the stairs to get out, it was so scary then because it was the first time it dawned on me how serious this was,( I was worried about the shopping I had done for my kids for Christmas) we got out at the back of the hotel and were greeted we wolf whistles from a group of builders working next to the hotel, by then the powers that be had discovered it was only the toaster...........we were allowed back into the hotel a little while later. And then last year same scenario a few drinks till late and tiredness four of us this time, all in bed when we heard a noise but didn't know what it was we were all thinking it was the others phone ?? anyway one of the girls got up to look and said it was coming from the landing outside our apartment, she opened the door and all the people from the other apartments were on the landing in PJ's and underwear :shock: they said it was a Fire Alarm but it had gone off two nights running and they were sick complaining about it, eventually a security guy came up and said it was a false alarm and everyone went back to their rooms.........me I was awake all feckin night........just incase and then storm Doris hit :roll: I can imagine the panic of those people in that high rise building, your whole body goes into panic and to have the where with all to get down stairs from 24 floors up knowing there is fire raging around you and then if you have kids. OMG just doesn't bare thinking about. I wonder when all is sorted out will it emerge that corners were cut. I'd say yes there were. God Bless & Prayers go out to all involved.

Terribly distressing to watch that fire this morning, knowing that the numbers dead will rise and rise as they clear each floor. That block is one of 4000 in England that have no sprinkler system and as usual .... the rats are running for cover. I doubt very much anyone will be called to task over this fire, its the classic cut corners on the materials and work because all the budget was spent on a myriad of so called experts. Its the modern day scatter gun approach, engage as many people as possible at the design stage and that limits any exposure to risk for the funders as they sought best practice in their approach. Expect all the spin doctors will be on high alert over this and no doubt the usual enquiry will be set up as promises are made yet nothing changes. There is nothing one can say to ease the families pain at a time like this, all I can say is shame on those who failed to protect the lives of their tennants.

Ps I knew the Moat House very well back in the 70s & 80s ...... the fire alarm going off was a regular event as fire exit doors were regularly used as a means of a quick exit after a few rooms were cleared out (we learned very quickly not to book any rooms near a fire exit as they were guaranteed to get looted).
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:03 pm

May God help those who have died in such a horrific way and those who are left behind.
Dreadful to watch and realise the fear and panic there was in that building.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Sinead wrote:May God help those who have died in such a horrific way and those who are left behind.
Dreadful to watch and realise the fear and panic there was in that building.

Sinéad

Couldn't bring myself to look at the footage until today. A nightmare for all concerned. Shabby building practices !!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Rocker wrote:Couldn't bring myself to look at the footage until today. A nightmare for all concerned. Shabby building practices !!

It appears that the tennants were complaining for ages about a range of issues including fire safety, but the council ignored them. That area has seen a lot of regeneration with house prices shooting up and more affluent residents arriving, as a result efforts were made to 'get rid' of the flats as they were an eyesore for the new locals ..... but the shortage of council housing meant that it was impossible to shift the families. Grenfel Towers is close to Westfield Shopping mall, a £1.6billon creation and one of the biggest shopping malls in the UK... this gives us an idea as to the wealth attracted to the area. So unable to shift the residents, the next best thing was to 'do up' the block of flats and this is why some residents are very angry. The real issues highlighted by the tennants were ignored by the various experts and it was decided to apply a new cosmetic outer shell that would improve the look of the building seems to have been a fatal error.

All of this was avoidable, its too late for those poor victims but hopefully all the other high rise blocks in the UK without sprinkler systems will not be ignored or put on the long finger.

For us here, the lesson should be the same ..... safety standards need to be maintained across all areas and not just when it suits or reactively. People seem to think that a Stardust will never happen again, I can assure you we have not learned a thing and risks are still being taken. The world of teenage discos is a classic example, the situation where a promoter hires a venue and sells tickets through Fbook and other social media is like the wild west with little or no inspections or questions asked as these events are once off nights and change venue. In a situation like this, should a disaster occur ..... who is to blame ? is it the venue owners or the event promoters ???? and also is there a requirement on a promoter to register his one off event and venue for inspection prior to it taking place ? ...... would it surprise you if I said that 'Fire eaters' were part of a Junior Cert celebration party last year and when a parent I know raised questions after the event , the authorities were unable to give an answer other than we will look into it !

Personally, I would bring in a law that requires a building 'standard' certificate and Insurance certificate be on display at the entrance to all buildings other than private homes.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:45 pm

Has anyone heard how Grammar is?

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby jabra » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:31 pm

I was speaking with Grammer's brother in law yesterday and he told me Grammer is still in hospital
and is holding his own (his words) he didn't seem to want to talk about him so I didn't push it.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:05 pm

jabra wrote:I was speaking with Grammer's brother in law yesterday and he told me Grammer is still in hospital
and is holding his own (his words) he didn't seem to want to talk about him so I didn't push it.

Sending all good wishes to grammer.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Heres to a speedy recovery for grammer ...... his spoon has been missed hellllo
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Get well soon Grammer,you're badly missed.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby bugrock » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Didn't know Grammer was ill, let alone in hospital. Best wishes and a speedy recovery, Grammer. hellllo
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:25 am

That's not good . All the best Grammer and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Holla » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:23 am

Wishing you a speedy recovery Grammer your presence is notably missed,hurry up and get back to us.
Holla

Postby Jemser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:25 pm

All the very best wishes Grammer, looking forward to a good stir from you in the near future. Get well soon.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Dancer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Sad to read that Grammer is unwell again :(
If you're looking in Grammer , keep fighting the good fight !
Hope you are on the road to recovery hellllo dnc1
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby masterblaster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:09 am

Best wishes Grammer for a speedy recovery, get well soon and look forward to reading your posts again.
masterblaster

Postby Strum » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Dear Resident,
I am writing to advise you that Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is to begin repair works to sections of the footpaths along Killiney Hill Road from Monday 17th July until Friday 28th August, 2017.
In order to facilitate these works, it will be done in 3 phases which is hoped to minimise disruption to traffic flow for local residents and businesses alike. These works are to take place from the junction of Victoria Road to Stream Ville Court, Killiney and the 3 phases are as follows:
1. Junction of Victoria Road to Strathmore Road
2. Junction of Strathmore Road to Killiney Avenue
3. Junction of Killiney Avenue to Military Road
A traffic management plan with diversion routes will be in operation and local access will be maintained for the full duration of the works and at all times. Any interested party may lodge a free observation before 12pm, this Monday 10th July to;
The Senior Engineer
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Traffic Section (Killiney Hill Road Footpath Restoration Works)
County Hall, Marine Road
Dún Laoghaire
Co. Dublin

Or you can email your comments to; traffic@dlrcoco.ie
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Was looking at that in the newspaper. Can't imagine how they can keep traffic flowing. They seem to be talking about "local access"! It is amazing how many people go up that road. I personally hate it as it is winding and very little space for two cars but I'd say there will be bottlenecks! Over a month!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Sorry to see Grammer is unwell, wishing you a speedy recovery Grams and back posting on here soon.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Sinead wrote:At the back of that photo is Michael (Mick) Byrne RIP formerly Mill Street
latterly St. Kevin’s Villas, who was on two Antarctic Expeditions with Fuchs.
Not many in Dun Laoghaire could give The Crown Agent as a reference,
Mick could. He regularly performed The Hakka in The Victor.

Sinéad

I found your old posting Sinead about Michael Byrne.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT