Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Postby Gerald » Tue May 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Wed May 02, 2018 4:09 pm

I was going to say smoke from the funnel.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed May 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Strum is having difficulty with accessing this site at the moment. Problems with passwords. He is having the administrator deal with the problem. Hope all will be well soon.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks Rocker I got it sorted but still having a problem with Harjoe's account. Keep you posted. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Strum wrote:I was going to say smoke from the funnel.

Good try. Depends on the direction of the wind.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Micheál wrote:Good try. Depends on the direction of the wind.

M.

It would still go backwards if the train was moving, depending on the speed. :mrgreen:

Was Ger right?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Thu May 03, 2018 7:56 am

Strum wrote:
Micheál wrote:Good try. Depends on the direction of the wind.

M.

It would still go backwards if the train was moving, depending on the speed. :mrgreen:

Was Ger right?

Depends what's in the cigarette, of course.

Gerald was right.

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri May 04, 2018 1:23 am

Well done Gerald. I don't think we would have known that!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Is there a Sostrene and Grene store open in DL ? The one in Pavilions closed :(
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Jemser » Wed May 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Dancer,

Yes there is, it is situated in the main street, George's Street. The exact address is : 89 George's Street Lower, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin, A96 YE98, Ireland. Please try not to spend too much...... :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Dancer » Wed May 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Jemser wrote:Hi Dancer,

Yes there is, it is situated in the main street, George's Street. The exact address is : 89 George's Street Lower, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin, A96 YE98, Ireland. Please try not to spend too much...... :lol:

Thanks Jemser . I went into it once or twice and didn’t think too much of it but then I was given a catalogue
and I saw some really nice stuff which I would have just passed by in the store . It looks a bit arty crafty inside
but when I found the items that I liked , I was blown away by the quality and price .

I’ll have to try and pop out to DL to pick up a few pieces .
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Rocker » Thu May 10, 2018 9:43 am

Dancer wrote:
Jemser wrote:Hi Dancer,

Thanks Jemser . I went into it once or twice and didn’t think too much of it but then I was given a catalogue
and I saw some really nice stuff which I would have just passed by in the store . It looks a bit arty crafty inside
but when I found the items that I liked , I was blown away by the quality and price .

I’ll have to try and pop out to DL to pick up a few pieces .

I love that shop and they have great things for children for baking etc, nice aprons, bags, crafty things. I engage the staff in chat and they are very helpful.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu May 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Yes great shop, great prices. I buy a lot of art materials there for about a third of the price compared to the art & hobby shop or Easons.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Dancer » Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 pm

I must say I am very taken with Simon Harris . He is very erudite and doesn’t bombard the
opposition with the usual well worn clichés .I notice that a lot of the no vote canvassers are all beyond childbearing
and yet they deign to impose their views on the rest of us . It’s not too long ago that they were sending
their daughters on a trip down the country because they feared what the neighbours might think .
I have no problem with people voting no for whatever reason but I have a huge problem with hypocrisy.
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby keeper » Tue May 22, 2018 11:38 pm

Well said Dancer, a few people I knew well who were examples of church going and religious in their faith types surprised me by sending their daughters to " finishing school " or to spend some time with relations in the USA or " down the country " to escape the shame, I'm so glad times seem to have changed somewhat or have they ?
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Wed May 23, 2018 12:47 pm

keeper wrote:Well said Dancer, a few people I knew well who were examples of church going and religious in their faith types surprised me by sending their daughters to " finishing school " or to spend some time with relations in the USA or " down the country " to escape the shame, I'm so glad times seem to have changed somewhat or have they ?

Too true Keeper .... the Church loved to rule by fear and shame, but those days are long gone after they were found to be hiding all sorts of dark secrets.

I have serious doubts about a yes vote. I think the whole 'yes or no' scenario is unfair and misleading. I am against abortion for convienence and suspect thats what will ensue in many cases, yet I am pro choice for women is certain situations. The No campaigners are not impressive as they come across as bitter and dictatorial in many ways, while the Yes camp is far too keen to turn it into a 'womens' rights issue (does the father not matter anymore) and have attracted all the flag wavers that are turning their campaign into a circus.

To me .... I think abortion should not be freely available as it will be abused and seen as an easy way out of low moral standards. I also find that the issue of cost to the taxpayer has been barely mentioned, but rest assured we are not just talking about docs n nurses here ... there will be full support teams needed, extra administration costs and of course the big gravy train of the legal issues. All the talk of repeal the 8th and we will sort it out later is not inspiring trust in me, I would be more inclined to vote yes if a clear alternative was part of the vote .... but its not and I am totally at odds as to what to do for he best. I will vote, but my decision is going down to the wire.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Gerald » Wed May 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Dancer wrote:I notice that a lot of the no vote canvassers are all beyond childbearing
and yet they deign to impose their views on the rest of us . It’s not too long ago that they were sending
their daughters on a trip down the country because they feared what the neighbours might think .
I have no problem with people voting no for whatever reason but I have a huge problem with hypocrisy.

So, almost anyone beyond childbearing age does not have a valid viewpoint because they can no longer have children?
Where does that leave the views of men?
How do you know they were sending their daughters away? That's a ludicrous assumption, unless you have evidence
to the contrary specific to these individuals.
It's OK then for the 'yes' campaigners to impose their views?
You have no problem with people voting 'no' for whatever reason except where it conflicts with your judgments?
Now, getting back to hypocrisy...............

As in any referendum, I believe that the majority of people will make uninformed choices, without looking deeply at the issues involved. That's the whole point of campaigning, to make peoples minds up for them; to manipulate people to their points of view. The world has been socially engineered to the point of insanity. That's a whole huge subject in itself. Abortion will happen in Ireland, whether it's this weekend, or in a couple of years after a bit of 're education' in case of a no vote. This has already been decided in my view and now it's just a case of the people going out and doing what they are told.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Dancer » Wed May 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Gerald wrote:
So, almost anyone beyond childbearing age does not have a valid viewpoint because they can no longer have children?
Where does that leave the views of men?
How do you know they were sending their daughters away? That's a ludicrous assumption, unless you have evidence
to the contrary specific to these individuals.
It's OK then for the 'yes' campaigners to impose their views?
You have no problem with people voting 'no' for whatever reason except where it conflicts with your judgments?
Now, getting back to hypocrisy...............

As in any referendum, I believe that the majority of people will make uninformed choices, without looking deeply at the issues involved. That's the whole point of campaigning, to make peoples minds up for them; to manipulate people to their points of view. The world has been socially engineered to the point of insanity. That's a whole huge subject in itself. Abortion will happen in Ireland, whether it's this weekend, or in a couple of years after a bit of 're education' in case of a no vote. This has already been decided in my view and now it's just a case of the people going out and doing what they are told.

Ah now Gerald you’re being too literal . Of course everybody is entitled to a viewpoint
but I draw the line at older people (and I mean the ones I have encountered on my doorstep, not a generalisation) ramming their viewpoint down my neck without even wanting to discuss my viewpoint. When I speak of people sending their daughters off years ago , again, I don’t mean the canvassers at my door but I think you know that . The Ireland that I grew up in was a place of hush hush, sweep it under the carpet because we’re all God fearing catholics. I saw young girls in my own community being sent off for a trip down the country for nine months or else there was the shotgun wedding . What was the old saying? “you made your bed now lie in it!”
And lets not forget the Laundries…slave labour for the mothers while the cherished cherubs were sold to the highest bidder. What about Savita Halappanavar ? was her life not precious? she was already born…. but left to die and the man…. in this case her husband.. begged for help but was ignored. I will remember that couple for the rest of my life and feel shame every time I think of them.

There is no easy call on this but speaking for myself, I believe that it is not my place to decide whether a woman should or should not carry a baby to full term. There are many many reasons why women choose to seek abortions and I doubt that any woman has ever done so lightly.
As far as men are concerned; yes they are entitled to their viewpoint but do women have a say when men decide to have a vasectomy ? Im sure there are a million different arguments surrounding this issue but at the close of day I think the young women of Ireland are capable of making an informed decision that is right for them and the situation they find themselves in.
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Well said Dancer,I couldn't agree more. There's very few people would agree with abortion on demand but there are certain circumstances where it should be allowed.We as a sovereign nation should never force women to go to other countries in order to terminate a pregnancy that they feel is a serious threat to their health.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby keeper » Wed May 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Gerald ! I knew these people personally and could tell you exactly where their daughters were sent to have their babies, also only one family took the baby home to rear, the others were left for adoption. I also worked on investigative programmes which proved beyond doubt this practice was rife. Things have changed thankfully as most new born to unmarried mothers are accepted into their families. I believe the time has come to allow women to have the final say in what way they want to approach a problem pregnancy, I also believe if men could become pregnant the story would be a lot different, there would be no shortage of laws !!!
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Well said Dancer,I couldn't agree more. There's very few people would agree with abortion on demand but there are certain circumstances where it should be allowed.We as a sovereign nation should never force women to go to other countries in order to terminate a pregnancy that they feel is a serious threat to their health.

This is the real problem ..... if a yes vote wins, there is no way of stopping abortion on demand as it will be legal and I can guarantee that we will see the clinics like https://www.mariestopes.ie/ set up here and suddenly its all about MONEY and profits. Their blurb may be nicely packaged and presented https://mariestopes.org/media/3014/17_p ... ead_lr.pdf but the bottom line is big profits and staff being paid bonuses http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nuses.html from which I quote: 'The abortion industry likes to parrot a narrative of looking after the interests of women but when it ends up placing their health and safety at risk in the pursuit of money, it becomes incumbent on the Government to act to protect women.' and this is my fear, our Government are weak and I don't trust them to have the strength to stop companies profiteering from an open abortion market.

We are being asked to vote yes or no ... but there's a lot more to it than that.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Thu May 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Toss wrote:our Government are weak and I don't trust them to have the strength to stop companies profiteering from an open abortion market.
We are being asked to vote yes or no ... but there's a lot more to it than that.

This is not a debate I'm going to get into, too many arguments from both sides but great reading here as usual away from the mainstream.

In reference to your comment above Toss, yes of course this is going to be about MONEY. Didn't Darth Vardaker change his tune from a NO to a YES after having consultations with a company called Ova-something. Sorry no links but it's out there. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri May 25, 2018 1:17 am

It's a terrible thing in my lifetime that I have to vote on life, either way, but vote I must. Really I've never been so torn about a decision like this. Fksakes. :|
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Sun May 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Strum wrote: Didn't Darth Vardaker change his tune from a NO to a YES after having consultations with a company called Ova-something. Sorry no links but it's out there. ;)

Evofem
Gerald
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT