Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Postby Sinead » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:13 pm

He was born in the house in Mulgrave Street where your ancestor died!

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Dancer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 am

Ten crashes in Dublin this morning :shock: WTF are people doing ? Every day there is a crash
on the M50 . I was driving back from Belfast last week and I had to blast the horn at a truck driver because
he was veering all over the road . The amount of drivers who wrecklessly break the speed limit is just
ridiculous now. And it's not just northern drivers either .
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Holla » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm not surprised the amount of drivers you see on their phone's is really scary ,there really needs to be a blitz on itby the traffic core.
Holla

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:56 pm

My big pet hate is the number of drivers who blast me out of it in the Port tunnel and I'm doing the 80 max!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

They installed speed cameras in the tunnel in May of this year . One guy incurred 9 penalty
points within the space of an hour and a half . They are raking in the cash even though there are big speed
camera notices posted at both ends of the tunnel .
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby keeper » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Had a scare on Cork motorway recently when a truck started drifting across toward the overtaking lane as I was about to overtake it, I had sensed all was not right and had slowed down, it was only when it was about to hit the central barrier when the driver corrected himself, all the while I could see him in his wing mirror, ON HIS IPAD BangHead BangHead I have lost count of the people I have seen on their phones on that road, you always know when they are, they drive really slowly or drift across lanes or the hard shoulder, some people never learn, what about the 30 kph speed limit :?: it was brought in locally a few weeks ago, even in 2nd gear it's difficult to stay at that speed, nobody pays a blind bit of notice to it and anyone that does is blown and abused practically off the road :twisted: sorry, rant over !!!
keeper

Postby Dancer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Keeper , I was on the M7 today and I put the car on cruise control as I was just listening to some music
and not in a great hurry . I could see in my rear view mirror , cars approaching from behind a an alarming
speed and then overtaking me and vanishing out of sight . If the police put speed cameras on the M7
the state would rake in a fortune . I regularly have to blast the horn at car drivers or trucks , primarily trucks
because they are doing something other than concentrating on their lane position. Considering there were ten crashes in one day , I shudder to think how many pile ups there will be when the days gets shorter .
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Sinead » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 am

Gosh Dancer, I am heading out on the M7 to-day, hope it goes well!
I agree there appear to be lots of crashes. Was in Arklow on Monday
last and it seemed I was the only driver keeping to the speed limit.
Large vehicles were passing me at a rate of knots and I was doing
100 and 120 where specified.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby jabra » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Cruise control how are ye far from cruise control you were reared
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 pm

jabra wrote:Cruise control how are ye far from cruise control you were reared

I was just thinking that! We had a few of those gas company orange bikes, a trolly and our feet. Gosh, it was tough times when we were younger and I often think of my poor Da cycling from Blackrock to the city.. hail, rain or shine leaving the house at 06.30hrs and getting home at 19.00hrs with just a few sandwiches to keep him going all day. His tea wasn't much to talk about either!!

Wouldn't they be just thrilled to see us in our cars! cruise control or not. We never had dry clothes. My abiding memory is of coats drying over the big fender of the kitchen fire. I was on the dreaded FB yesterday and marvelled at how many of this next generation were celebrating their degrees and Masters...all thanks to the marvellous grannies and grandfathers who slogged it out to give us a start. The Boro bred some great people all right!!! wuu
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 pm

jabra wrote:Cruise control how are ye far from cruise control you were reared

Lol, I wasn't bragging :oops: I have a tendency to have a happy right foot when I'm chatting to someone while driving
so the cruise control is great for keeping the speed down . I spent most of my young life cycling everywhere and I never thought that I would ever have a car . I am proud to say that I passed my test first time , not bad for a nervous ninny .
I feel so sorry for young guys and gals today , the quotes that they are getting for insurance is just ridiculous.
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby jabra » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 pm

No offence Dancer just having a laugh but I do agree there was a time I thought I would never own a car
My father never had a car. Its not just the young who were hit with hikes in their car insurance mine has
more than doubled in the last two years
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Dancer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:44 pm

No offence taken at all Jabra hellllo My next door neighbour's car insurance has risen quite dramatically
this year. I'm dreading getting my renewal quote although I have to say, I've been with Allianz
for quite a few years now and I find them excellent.
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby jabra » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:12 pm

I have been with 123 for a good few years and they were great but not any more
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 am

On the issue of speeding, as usual we have a mix of good and bad ...... the good is the traffic calming road narrowing sections used outside small villages and towns, they force drivers to slow down. The BAD is the lack of consistency in policing speed offences .... the states approach is to target easy money in fines and not try to stop the speeding. In France you get warning signs all telling you that you are entering a speed restricted section of road that is monitored by flash cameras and it works ! but then they are not out to make money. If one was to ask questions as to our road safety approach, I would start by asking what genius decided to pay an independent company €1.2 MILLION per month to do the states work ???? http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/new-figures-show-how-much-irish-speed-cameras-rake-in-a-month.

In relation to Insurance costs ........ when Insurace companies talk about accident figures, you should always remember that they are going to use the figures that suit their own profiteering agenda. Try finding out how many single person accidents are included in their figures or how many uninsured / unlicensed drivers are added into the pot in order to skew the numbers. Its a game and every little trick is used to keep profits high .... just check how much these multi national corporations rake in each year and ask yourself how come nothing changes with these cartels. I had a great chat about car insurance with the Director of Age Action Ireland last year and its sickening to hear how elderly people who just drive to the shops and back a few times a week are being ripped off at every angle on car insurance (oh sorry sir, its not you ... its your car thats too old ! was last years fav money making scam).

Anyway, I am lucky enough to be computer literate and hungry enough to tell Ax-a that their quote of €799 (an increase of €259) was the best laugh I had in ages. When I questioned it and went through the usual phone sales patter ..... the guy rechecked his figures and told me he could take another €50 off it as a valued customer. I explianed that I had obtained a quote for fully Comp from another company for €348 and that I would take a look. I paused for a few seconds and said .... sorry, my computer says no to your quote ! he knew exactly what I meant and basically said that there was nothing he could do as he could only offer what his PC told him :lol: :lol: THAT is what you are dealing with: COMPUTERS and they are programmed not to give a damn, so down waste your time and shop around. Even if it means trying the same company 2/3 times as I have learned that it seems to be a bit like Ryan-air cheap flights .... there are a few but you need to get in at the right time. I paid the €348 to https://www.25plus.ie/, they use A I G as their main insurers and be advised they are an online service only (no phone chats, but its all legal). In the end, Insurance companies know that they have total control over their profits and our leaders are afraid to challenge them as there are too many fingers in the pie.

Ahh its good to be back :twisted:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Sinead » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:01 pm

I must admit I am lazy about Insurance, I use a broker and let him do the searching.

Hope you had a great time Toss, good to have you back.

Any news of Grammer??

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby gingertom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Toss wrote:On the issue of speeding, as usual we have a mix of good and bad ...... the good is the traffic calming road narrowing sections used outside small villages and towns, they force drivers to slow down. The BAD is the lack of consistency in policing speed offences .... the states approach is to target easy money in fines and not try to stop the speeding. In France you get warning signs all telling you that you are entering a speed restricted section of road that is monitored by flash cameras and it works ! but then they are not out to make money. If one was to ask questions as to our road safety approach, I would start by asking what genius decided to pay an independent company €1.2 MILLION per month to do the states work ???? http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/new-figures-show-how-much-irish-speed-cameras-rake-in-a-month.

In relation to Insurance costs ........ when Insurace companies talk about accident figures, you should always remember that they are going to use the figures that suit their own profiteering agenda. Try finding out how many single person accidents are included in their figures or how many uninsured / unlicensed drivers are added into the pot in order to skew the numbers. Its a game and every little trick is used to keep profits high .... just check how much these multi national corporations rake in each year and ask yourself how come nothing changes with these cartels. I had a great chat about car insurance with the Director of Age Action Ireland last year and its sickening to hear how elderly people who just drive to the shops and back a few times a week are being ripped off at every angle on car insurance (oh sorry sir, its not you ... its your car thats too old ! was last years fav money making scam).

Anyway, I am lucky enough to be computer literate and hungry enough to tell Ax-a that their quote of €799 (an increase of €259) was the best laugh I had in ages. When I questioned it and went through the usual phone sales patter ..... the guy rechecked his figures and told me he could take another €50 off it as a valued customer. I explianed that I had obtained a quote for fully Comp from another company for €348 and that I would take a look. I paused for a few seconds and said .... sorry, my computer says no to your quote ! he knew exactly what I meant and basically said that there was nothing he could do as he could only offer what his PC told him :lol: :lol: THAT is what you are dealing with: COMPUTERS and they are programmed not to give a damn, so down waste your time and shop around. Even if it means trying the same company 2/3 times as I have learned that it seems to be a bit like Ryan-air cheap flights .... there are a few but you need to get in at the right time. I paid the €348 to https://www.25plus.ie/, they use A I G as their main insurers and be advised they are an online service only (no phone chats, but its all legal). In the end, Insurance companies know that they have total control over their profits and our leaders are afraid to challenge them as there are too many fingers in the pie.

Ahh its good to be back :twisted:

Algorithms Toss. Welcome to the real world.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 pm

gingertom wrote:Algorithms Toss. Welcome to the real world.

The only 'rithm' I know has Bass and Drums :D :D tis enough to give ya the blues 8-)

Thanks Sinead, had a ball and met some lovery people on my travels ....... however I did note that security has been upped in France and on our way back, a Cork registered truck was nabbed at the port with a gang of stowaways (all in full muslim dress). The French police didn't mess about as they had them all against the wall within seconds (machine guns at the ready). Obviously Ireland is seen as a favourable destination ..... probably because the immigration at our end was doing their best 'Cead mile failte' as they waved everyone through. The difference was clear, the French guys were young, healthy and very fit looking. Ours looked like stuffed lemons in their yellow jackets and had more in common with a knife and fork than a machine gun.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 pm

gingertom wrote:Algorithms Toss. Welcome to the real world.

I learn something everyday on this site! Googled that! :D

Great to have you back Toss hellllo

We will have to tighten up our security at ports and at the airports here. To my mind they are totally understaffed. Any late night flight I have arrived on lately has been almost whisked through with about two on duty at passports. I remember in the "bad old days" going to police state countries and sweating it out for an hour at a time in a hot corridor with mirrors and dogs while a difficult individual went through all the pages of my passport comparing it to all kinds of documents. There was no way you would try anything on with any of them. Nowadays there are so many nationalities on the move and so many Irish passports being stolen abroad it must be difficult for any authorities to keep tabs. I wouldn't like it to be my job!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am

I will be in Dl from the 30 September to 27 Oct 2017 . I will be online I hope Hope to meet up with a few faces .
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Sinead » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Spudseamus:

Sorry, I won't get to meet you I head out of the town on 1st October.
Enjoy your trip.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Sinead » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Grammer says Hello to everyone who has been asking after him. He is still in
hospital but making progress, he is having physio. His daughter gave me this
news this evening.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Sinead wrote:Grammer says Hello to everyone who has been asking after him. He is still in
hospital but making progress, he is having physio. His daughter gave me this
news this evening.

Sinéad

wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu Good man Grammer

Thanks Sinead
Toss

Postby Strum » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Yes I met his Sister today. All the best Grammer. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Good news ! Hope we have you back here soon Grammer wuu wuu
keeper