Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Micheál wrote: When I'm renovating, I find a Kango Hammer is more precise. :D

Ha yes that's a little more subtle Michael, but I wouldn't like to hit an unexploded Grenade with the Kango hammer. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 pm

A hard rains gonna fall ..... this is from The Guardian :

Most countries think they are special, but few have ever allowed their sense of exceptionalism to damage their interests in the way Britain is doing. British politicians, business leaders and newspaper editors are remarkably confident that Britain will flourish outside the EU. While both France and Germany sometimes bridle at the EU, neither seriously thinks that the EU diminishes their ability to pursue their interests. There is no justification for British over-confidence. The UK needs the EU as much as the Germans or French do.

The British are less Eurocentric and anti-American than many other Europeans, and are more likely to move to non-European countries. Britain has a global reach in ways that most other EU countries do not, with its permanent seat on the UN security council, and serious military and nuclear weapons. But the French elite do not believe that France’s ability to defend its interests – which are similar to Britain’s – is held back by its EU membership. The French have always understood that France could only remain a significant global power by harnessing the weight of the EU as a whole. The benefits of EU membership for Germany are obvious: the country regained legitimacy and respectability by subsuming itself in this multilateral project, and reasserted itself internationally through the EU.

Why do many of the British elite believe they do not need the EU, unlike their French and German counterparts? One reason is their rose-tinted view of Britain’s history. Britain did not need to rebuild its international reputation in the same way as Germany did after the war. But too many see Britain as a beacon of democracy and liberty. Too few are aware that the country’s colonial history means that much of the rest of the world is more ambivalent – and that Britain is less trusted and admired – than they imagine. EU membership often helped to mitigate these historical tensions, while allowing Britain to punch above its weight by enabling it to act as a bridge between the EU and the US.

A second reason for the hostility – or at best ambivalence – of the British elite to the EU is that they always resented Britain playing second fiddle to the Franco-German axis. Not joining the EU’s precursor until 1973 meant that it always looked like a Franco-German project that privileged French and German interests to the detriment of Britain’s. The British elite have never been able to support wholeheartedly a European project that they were not the leaders of and whose institutions looked insufficiently British. This, as much as an aversion to sharing sovereignty, explains their antipathy to the EU.

Britain’s sense of economic invulnerability is even more puzzling. Why does a country that is significantly poorer than Germany, with fewer internationally competitive industries and greater dependence on foreign capital and managerial expertise, believe it can afford to quit the single market? Britain’s economic performance is no better than France’s and on some important measures – especially productivity – far worse. Yet nobody from France’s political mainstream seriously thinks that the French economy would thrive outside the EU.

Much of the British elite know little about how Britain’s economy compares. Few realise that three-quarters of the country is poorer than the EU-15 average; that Britain’s growth performance has been mediocre at best; or that there are relatively few British-owned and managed businesses with a strong record of growth. There are bright spots in the British economy, but its commanding heights owe much to foreign capital and expertise. Foreign-owned businesses generate more than half the country’s exports, and many of these exports are intermediate goods – links in international, predominantly European, supply chains. These companies are especially vulnerable to Britain leaving the single market. If the British economy were more locally owned and managed, it would be easier to understand the British complacency over the economic impact of Brexit. But for a developed country so dependent on foreign capital to do something so damaging to its ability to attract that capital has few precedents.

Most of the British elite lives in London, Europe’s only truly global city, and this seems to seduce them into believing that Britain is more important and powerful than it really is, and its economy more dynamic. London has had a good 30 years. But much of that is the result of its success in carving out a profitable link in Europe’s division of labour: financial and other business services.

Another key reason for British complacency over the impact of Brexit is that much of the country’s elite buys into the idea of the EU as a sclerotic economic failure. The EU faces serious challenges, but it is far from the British caricature of it as protectionist, insular and economically illiberal. In reality, the EU’s single market is more open than the US market. And the EU has a good record of defending things the British claim to be upholders of – international law, rules-based trade and human rights.

Britain is heading for humiliation. The country’s already mediocre economic record is set to worsen further. It will be alienated from its closest allies – the rest of the EU – and have little international influence. Reality will eventually kick in, which might prompt the British elite to push for the country to rejoin the EU. In all likelihood, it eventually will, though on inevitably worse terms. And it will then have to spend the next 20 years painstakingly rebuilding the influence that it so casually threw away.

Lets hope our great leaders here have their ducks in a row and are not caught with their heads in the sand as they miss out on EU trade deals due to kissing Theresa May's arse.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Good article unfortunately too few people read The Guardian in Britain. The Sun and Daily Mail have greater circulation than The Guardian and their line has always been anti EU.Those 2 papers base their reader content on the theory of mushroom growth which I'm sure you are all aware of. :roll:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Sat May 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Homelessness and prosperity in Dún Laoghaire

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-styl ... -1.3071612
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am

In the Maritime Museum topic, Rocker mentions civil marriages can be held in the Museum. I clicked on the link, read through the comments and noticed the mention of Spiritualism .... so following my nose, I arrived at this : http://spiritualistunion.com/?page_id=234.

As little as €43 a year gets you in and the activities list will keep you busy most evenings http://spiritualistunion.com/?page_id=691 (obviously a charge is attached to the courses), I see they have a drumming and healing class hellllo Strum. They also practice Angel card readings, which it appears are extremely popular as they are popping up everywhere http://www.ask-angels.com/channeled-angel-readings/free-angel-card-reading/.

This also provides an insight into the Spiritualist logic and promotes reasons to tick 'no religion' in the census form http://www.spiritualityireland.org/blog/index.php/2016/03/census-2016-religion/

Has anyone here any experience of such matters ?
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sat May 13, 2017 4:21 pm

:lol: :lol: Toss...now you have me googling. As if I hadn't enough to do... not a child in the house washed!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat May 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Toss wrote: I see they have a drumming and healing class hellllo Strum.

Way too eh, spiritual for me Toss but thanks for the thought. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sun May 14, 2017 1:01 am

Strum wrote:

Ah Strum, I sense you are not feeling the love. Just think, along you go and play the bongo's in front of your newly created Angel backdrop .....before you know it, you will have a devoted following begging to buy your new angel images as it turns out that your spirit guide will have helped you interpet each persons unique angel in a painting.

After a while you can introduce them to your Angel heartstone range. The stones may look like they were found on killiney beach, but the truth is that these stones contain are made from the dust of past ancient earth angels and they will give invaluable inner strenght to a spiritualist at times of most need.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun May 14, 2017 10:12 am

Toss wrote:
Strum wrote:

Ah Strum, I sense you are not feeling the love. Just think, along you go and play the bongo's in front of your newly created Angel backdrop .....before you know it, you will have a devoted following begging to buy your new angel images as it turns out that your spirit guide will have helped you interpet each persons unique angel in a painting.

After a while you can introduce them to your Angel heartstone range. The stones may look like they were found on killiney beach, but the truth is that these stones contain are made from the dust of past ancient earth angels and they will give invaluable inner strenght to a spiritualist at times of most need.

Hey Toss...I want you as my agent!!!

But, I wont knock the power of angels. My late cousin was really into all that and we found it a bit OTT and smiled wryly at the idea. But, sceptics beware...at the end of last year I was on my way to hear what could have been devastating news. I stopped in the driveway of the hospital and begged all my late family for courage...I suddenly got a feeling of being enfolded in something very powerful.The news was very good. Some weeks later i phoned a very sane non religious friend who had come through several illness' and I told her of the strange event. She had had one such encounter and put it down to an angel minding her at the crucial time.....what can I say even a hard bitten non religious person like me felt the power, comfort and reassurance of my angel!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Toss wrote: Ah Strum, I sense you are not feeling the love. Just think, along you go and play the bongo's in front of your newly created Angel backdrop .....before you know it, you will have a devoted following begging to buy your new angel images as it turns out that your spirit guide will have helped you interpet each persons unique angel in a painting.

Ah I see now Toss, very enlightening sermon for the day that's in it thank you, but still... nope. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sun May 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Strum wrote:Ah I see now Toss, very enlightening sermon for the day that's in it thank you, but still... nope. :lol:

Oh well, you cant blame a chap for trying .... I think theres a huge gap in the market for a new religion

Toss

Postby Strum » Sun May 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Yer gas Toss. :lol: thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sun May 21, 2017 10:11 am

The site has been so quiet the past few days I was beginning to think
all the usual suspects had failed off their perch!

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Sun May 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Ha :lol: :lol: I was thinking the same Sinead...I took a few days in Lithuania in Vilnius. Cheap air fares. Very interesting city relatively cheap. But, two weeks ago it was 2 degrees and snowing when we got there with our warm clothes it soared to 33 degrees and unrelenting sunshine. God, I have never been so far North and the clarity of the sky and length of the day. Still intense poverty in places out of cities and basic facilities lacking in many city homes...running water being the bogy...still one standpipe in a courtyard in places for many homes. Interesting chats with some University bods. Makes me appreciate our lot!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am

How can people carry out acts such as the Manchester bomb.
Young children out enjoying themselves, these children have
no political agenda, yet, they are the victims of some zealot.
My thoughts and prayers are with them, may the injured
recover and the dead Rest in Peace.

Sinbad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 am

Just thinking the same Sinead. Thoughts and prayers with them all.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Tue May 23, 2017 9:38 am

Sinead wrote:How can people carry out acts such as the Manchester bomb.
Young children out enjoying themselves, these children have
no political agenda, yet, they are the victims of some zealot.
My thoughts and prayers are with them, may the injured
recover and the dead Rest in Peace.

Sinbad

Sadly this is the world we have created, religion is a powerful motivator when used in the wrong way and theres nothing any of us can do or say when some half-wit has been brainwashed to the extent that he or she thinks some diety will reward them in the next life for mass murder and suicide in this one. The threat is real and its not going to stop as the genie is long out of the bottle.

It was harrowing listening to some poor mother ask for help finding her missing 15yr old daughter..... theres a lot of horrible evil out there and I have no doubt that the Irish government needs to step up and take this issue seriously, for far too long we have opened our doors without question. As far as I'm concerned, a national identity card system with photo and fingerprint ID needs to be introduced immediately ...... I dont care who you are, if you have nothing to hide then whats the problem.

My heart goes out to those poor families who have lost loved ones, the time for talking is long gone.
Toss

Postby keeper » Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Well said Toss, heart wrenching scenes, we need not believe we are immune to this sort of terrorism either, these lunatics are everywhere.
keeper

Postby Sinead » Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Does anyone know where GRAMMER is? He hasn't been on here for a while!

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Sinead wrote:Does anyone know where GRAMMER is? He hasn't been on here for a while!

Sinéad

Worrying that Sinead, I thought you would know. I sent him a PM nearly two weeks ago and it's still in the outbox. Wishing you the best if you're looking in Grammer.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Mon May 29, 2017 9:41 am

Strum wrote:
Sinead wrote:Does anyone know where GRAMMER is? He hasn't been on here for a while!

Sinéad

Worrying that Sinead, I thought you would know. I sent him a PM nearly two weeks ago and it's still in the outbox. Wishing you the best if you're looking in Grammer.

Yea, lets hope he's just off on his hols .... BTW I notice Dancers awol as well .... mmmmm ;)
Toss

Postby Strum » Tue May 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Grammer is fine folks. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm

wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Rocker » Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Strum wrote:Grammer is fine folks. thumbright

Great news. But, where is his stirring spoon for getting this lot shook up ???

Anyway the world is in a state of chassis.....someone just dropped a Johnny in the front garden.....bit early in the day for that kinda carry on !!!! :o :o
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 am

Rocker wrote: But, where is his stirring spoon for getting this lot shook up ???

The Pot is just simmering Rocker. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT