What are you reading?

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

What are you reading?

Postby Micheál » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Re-starting this deleted thread
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Micheál » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Whatever about its premises, I have to compliment DLRCoCo Library on its great service. I discovered two aspects of my membership this month that I had not realised existed.

1. I was able (on-line) to reserve a book that was not in DLRCoCo system but was in the national Libraries Ireland system. I could specify which library it should be made available at and got a text when the book was available for collection. And all in just a few days. Really Impressive! See: http://www.librariesireland.ie/online-resources/

2. I was blown away with this. Being platformed on Libraries Ireland, DLRCoCo Library members have access - at home - to Zinio. Now you can read all sorts of popular magazines including some very well-known titles like Gardeners World, Economist, Forbes, New Scientist etc. This is no "dentist waiting room", the editions are all current. Nice App for iPads too. I haven't yet encountered any limitations. See for yourselves - https://www.rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Thank you for restarting this thread. I am long overdue a visit to the library. From all accounts it is the BEST place. At long last I have made time for my precious reading and am back in full swing reading the hundreds of books I bought for my retirement!!

An interesting author from Glenageary (although he is years living away from these shores) is Michael Collins. Tough reading some of his books but has he talent !!

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books ... c.facebook
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Wed May 31, 2017 11:53 am

Talk about "What are you reading"reminds me to recommend an author I've been reading for some time: his name's John Boyne.His latest offering The Heart's Invisible Furies is a really great read, I would be interested in hearing some comments on this fine work.
masterblaster

Postby Rocker » Wed May 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for that masterblaster. I really enjoyed his "The boy in the striped pyjamas". It was very evocative.
I've been looking at reviews on this latest "The heart's invisible furies". Sounds unputdownable !!

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2017/0209/851431-john-boyne/

P.S we forget just how many decent Irish authors are around nowadays. I have been reading a load of chic literature and the Irish girls are way better than the rest.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Micheál wrote:Whatever about its premises, I have to compliment DLRCoCo Library on its great service. I discovered two aspects of my membership this month that I had not realised existed.

1. I was able (on-line) to reserve a book that was not in DLRCoCo system but was in the national Libraries Ireland system. I could specify which library it should be made available at and got a text when the book was available for collection. And all in just a few days. Really Impressive! See: http://www.librariesireland.ie/online-resources/

2. I was blown away with this. Being platformed on Libraries Ireland, DLRCoCo Library members have access - at home - to Zinio. Now you can read all sorts of popular magazines including some very well-known titles like Gardeners World, Economist, Forbes, New Scientist etc. This is no "dentist waiting room", the editions are all current. Nice App for iPads too. I haven't yet encountered any limitations. See for yourselves - https://www.rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing?

M.

You will be pleased to hear Micheal the library is now open on Sunday's on a self-service basis from 12.00 noon until 4.00pm.Bank holidays excluded.
masterblaster

Postby Sinead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:20 am

I will have to renew my membership of the Public Library. I have only attended the theatre
in The Lexicon.
Jeffrey Archer was never one of my favoured writers but I was given one of his books recently
and enjoyed it, I then found it was volume 3 in a series of 7, I went to buy the other volumes
but the prices were very high in the book shops. Rooted out my Kindle charged it up and got
all six volumes on line for $13. They are the Clifford Chronicles.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Dancer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:38 am

I was in the Lexicon a few weeks ago and I was really impressed . What a fantastic facility for students,
researchers, kids ...everyone !!
The lift confused me though :lol:
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Dancer wrote:I was in the Lexicon a few weeks ago and I was really impressed . What a fantastic facility for students,
researchers, kids ...everyone !!
The lift confused me though :lol:

It is amazing place and full of life. I haven't used the lifts...I have this phobia about being stuck!!...and I'm too windy for stairs so it is an effort!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby gingertom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 pm

I have visited the Lexicon on a number of occasions. What a fantastic amenity it sure is. On my last visit, during a school term break, the building was full of children and parents, which was wonderful to see. Unfortunately the atmosphere was not conducive to reading at all. Some children were running about and clearly unsupervised by their parent/ guardians. I must say that this was back in May and I needed a space to review and read some documents as others did too. Staff who are very helpful, seemed to be very busy and sparse in number to regulate and operate the facility to maintain a silent setting. It was a busy time with increased numbers, including leaving and college students in attendance in some numbers casting a raised eye when disturbed by the commotion by their fellow child Lexicon users. Maybe i should have posted in DLRCOCO.........
I have recently read a book called Marco Valdo by the author Italo Calvino. A very light set of short stories about the banality of modern life, with a kind of moral for the reader to learn from the experience of the subject...Marco Valdo. A light very very light version of Joyces Dubliners.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 am

I have never tried to do any kind of study in the Lexicon but can understand just how it must have been! For some reason the younger parent takes their children to just about any venue and allows them run riot...as if everyone else should be as thrilled with their screaming as the parent is!

I think I put up here before about our afternoon tea at the Radisson Blu which was marred by screaming children tearing up the newspapers and taking cakes off our table! the parents when approached told us "it's far from afternoon tea ye were reared"!
The supermarket is full of screaming running children! every tea room has them running up and down bumping older people!!!Every morning discussion group, self help group, church gathering has the needy mothers with the screaming baby!!...rant rant, as you can see I can't for the life of me understand why they do not realise there is a time and place for play !!

anyway back to the topic....I must read a parenting book :lol: :lol: or they must :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Not sure I'm posting this properly, however, I've just finished a real good read for anyone interested in slavery in the good old USA." The Underground Railroad " by Colson Whitehead, I couldn't put it down.A Pulitzer Prize winner.
masterblaster

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Rocker wrote:Thanks for that masterblaster. I really enjoyed his "The boy in the striped pyjamas". It was very evocative.
I've been looking at reviews on this latest "The heart's invisible furies". Sounds unputdownable !!

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2017/0209/851431-john-boyne/

P.S we forget just how many decent Irish authors are around nowadays. I have been reading a load of chic literature and the Irish girls are way better than the rest.

On your recommendation I got "The heart's invisible furies" at Dubray. It was interesting. Sometimes I found it a little contrived everyone meeting at Amsterdam, at the Dáil café and in the States. But it dealt with a lot of hard hitting subjects.. illegitimacy, homophobia, bad parenting etc. but I liked it.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Just finished a very good read "I Read the News Today Oh Boy" by Paul Howard,a local lad from Ballybrack whose parents came from The Farm. It's about Tara Browne,a Guinness family heir and tracts his privileged life from his childhood living in Luggalla,Co. Wicklow to his tragic death in London at the age of 21. Tara was very much part of the "Swinging Sixties" London and the book is a great insight into what went on. Those of us who were teenagers then would have envied his lifestyle but in reading the book I would be inclined to think that it wasn't as great as it was cracked up to be.He was never sure whether his friends liked him for what he was, or for his money. I never had that problem as a teenager, like me mates, none of us had a make.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby skins » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Liar! You had everybody else's makes!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:04 pm

I don't remember getting many of your makes,you were always skint. :lol:
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:15 am

I never knew Paul Howard was from Ballybrack nor that his parents were from The Farm !!you learn something every day.

Some years ago he opened an art exhibition for a friend of mine and he was so good. He had done his research and made the evening for everyone. A gentleman...but now I know he is from Ballybrack he has soared in my estimation.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 am

Denis Cromie wrote:I don't remember getting many of your makes,you were always skint. :lol:

And here I am, 60 years later, still trying to escape the poverty trap. I was thinking of creating one of those crowdfunding thing-os in an effort to raise the price of a pint, but given the crowd that I associate with I'd be wastin' me time.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Listen if you're stuck for a pint,maybe Grammer, when he gets better, might just think that it's time to spend his Confirmation money. Failing that I'll just check if my investments since my Communion may allow me to buy you a glass. :lol:
Denis Cromie

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm

I have a few spare beer mats, if that would help? dontknow
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby skins » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Micheál wrote:I have a few spare beer mats, if that would help? dontknow

Well, at least I'd have something to nibble on!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:53 pm

skins wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 pm

skins wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 pm

Go way outta that lads babbby I bet yiz are loaded and not short of a few pints aawhip aawhip
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 am

keeper wrote:Go way outta that lads babbby I bet yiz are loaded and not short of a few pints aawhip aawhip

Hey lads with all your chat about pints and bobs...masterblaster went out and started a new topic on reading!! served yis right.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to GENERAL CHAT