Blackrock My Hometown

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Blackrock My Hometown

Postby masterblaster » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:04 pm

As a lad I lived in Blackrock, went to school in Carysfort Convent and, finally in (Blackrock) to the "Masters" aka St. John the Baptist boys school.We lived in that lovely named "Sweetmans Avenue" with my paternal grandparents.Number 42 as I recall.
However,in all of the years spent there, it was never known as anything other than, 'Chapel Lane' Any of you "Old Rockers"able to suss that one out?. Happy memories of the 'Old Forge', Katie Moores lane,Pipe Band practice evenins to mention a few.
Those were the days my friends, when a rope around a light pole gave all the amusement we ever needed.
masterblaster

Re: Blackrock My Hometown

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:16 pm

masterblaster, anyone who is anyone had roots in Sweetman's Avenue. It must have been crammed with people.
We always called it Chapel Lane too. I think it got that name because the earliest chapel was the one in the Carmelite Convent,

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,721495,729228,12,9

At some stage my paternal side of the family lived at No3 and No 40 and No 56. There was a lot of moving in with relations and friends and a lot of "helping out".I have been doing the family history for a few years and the poverty of the early Rockers is the saddest part for me.

I remember those old Pipe Band practices. We called it Mooney's Band because there were a lot of Mooneys in it. It was rousing when they played on the bandstand in the Park.
Now I don't remember the Forge or Katie Moore's lane. I really think I went around in a bit of a dream as a child as a lot of my memories are blurred.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for that Rocker! Reason I didn't think of that is because I'm......stupid.Whatever happened to the Carneige crowd who also had a garage on the left-hand side?
masterblaster

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:34 am

There are Carnegie undertakers in Monkstown. Are they originally from Blackrock? Don't remember a garage. I'm going off at a tangent now but, there were very few people with a car when we were children. I remember standing at the corner of our road recording the car numbers that passed in a day. Imagine trying to do that today! :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:31 am

Hi Rocker (again)! The Carnegie people I am referring to used to garage their big trucks in a large building on the left of the avenue as you went in. There was a family home just before you came to it if memory serves me correctly one of the men of the house may have been blind. The Carnegie building was where their trucks were left at night but it wasn't a repair garage as such.
masterblaster

Postby Gulliver » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 am

Sweetmans.JPG
Sweetmans.JPG (27.76 KiB) Viewed 816 times

From the Thoms Directory 1969
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:11 pm

That is great Gulliver. I think those Carnegies were into the building and stone business. I remember that man with Mr Dagg who had a place on Carysfort Avenue.

Gosh the amount of people you forget.

This morning I was in Blackrock meeting friends near the church on the Back Road and I had a flash back to all the paper sellers who used to be there in my childhood. Of course the shops did not open on Sundays so that was the only way of getting a paper.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to GENERAL CHAT