How would YOU improve society? +++

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

How would YOU improve society? +++

Postby Zirco » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 am

In this special year of 2016 and it being a general election year I guess a topic such as this could be helpful, well I hope so anyway :D .
On DLC.IE there are very intelligent and knowledgable folk, well able to express a point of view. It would be great to hear how these good folk would improve our 'lovely little country'.
This topic is 'solutions' oriented. So, a) identify a societal issue, b) provide your solution.
We all have pet peeves, but can we provide a solution or two? :lol:
The '+++' in the topic name is to allow a broad scope....so ingredients of jokes, banter, music, videos, fun etc....all allowed. :lol:
Health, Education, Economy, Ecology, Law, Finance, Politics etc....all areas ripe for improvements?
Also the next door neighbour, his cat, his grandchildren, his habits.........improvements welcomed :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: How would YOU improve society? +++

Postby Zirco » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:48 pm

One thing that comes to my mind is the inadequate state services for children in care in particular. We are so bad at looking after children!!!
I heard a social worker on the radio discussing the terrible child abuse case in County Wexford and she made the point that there needs to be an adult representing the child when in court, so the child 'has a voice'.
I thought this was already happening, with the 'guardian ad litem' (usually a social worker) system. So what's going on there?

Solution: Beef up the social worker system (which was promised but it appears hasn't happened) so that each child has a social worker assigned immediately, not waiting for one for years!

:roll: :roll: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:01 pm

A more personal one, but may resonate with some is.....
My neighbour got rid of all the grass in his back garden, replacing it with stone flags. I have a detached garage/workshop in my back garden, whose floor level is below my neighbours garden. We share a garden block wall and some of this wall is part of the garage.
All was fine until he put in the flags.
So now, about three times a year, when it rains for days, the garage gets partly flooded with water that runs off his flags and into my place. He has put in drains of sorts since I brought it to his attention last year but the flooding still occurs.
It's frustrating BangHead BangHead BangHead

Solution: a) I guess I need to have another chat with my neighbour :roll: :roll: :D
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Toss » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:47 pm

where do I start :lol:

Kids are the future, so lets reward childcare, give parents more childrens allowance BUT pay it based on the childs attendance and behaviour at an educational institute. So, you only get paid when little Johnny attends school and behaves himself ..... this will do two things, firstly Johnny will rarely miss a day and secondly he will behave in class and show respect to the teachers as suspensions will cost money (terms and conditions apply). Ps dont expect a hand out from the taxpayer if your child is causing havoc in the community.

Adults .... nobody gets money for nothing would be my approach, again increase some benefits but no pay for anyone who is not working on a community service scheme .... these schemes can be used to maintain community facilities, help old folk, maintain public areas, support public bodies, work on community events, support local sports initiatives etc etc etc as as usual T&C apply 8-)

Politics ..... lets cut the crap and start again, are we that dumb that a new constitution and political structure cannot be drawn up (prob some law against it, eh GT) and politician numbers calculated on a pro-rata basis .... ie 1 elected representative for every 100k people. That gives us 40 politicians to run the country and basically elect them on the basis of voter numbers in their areas. So Dublin would have most seats and the likes of Leitrim and Cavan only have one seat between them .... this would ensure that the incoming politicians represent and have to answer to equal numbers of voters.

Courts ... as a Judge recently discussed .... why are we giving free legal aid to people who can pay X thousands of euros for bail in cash ? why are we paying out MILLIONS of euros in relation to claims against the state every year? hellllo GT

Charities ... they should only get charitable status on the basis of an open books policy full transperancy in relation to spending on wages inc perks etc
I could go on, but theres probably enough there to get me branded a dictator :lol: :lol: :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Toss wrote:where do I start :lol:

Kids are the future, so lets reward childcare, give parents more childrens allowance BUT pay it based on the childs attendance and behaviour at an educational institute. So, you only get paid when little Johnny attends school and behaves himself ..... this will do two things, firstly Johnny will rarely miss a day and secondly he will behave in class and show respect to the teachers as suspensions will cost money (terms and conditions apply). Ps dont expect a hand out from the taxpayer if your child is causing havoc in the community.

Adults .... nobody gets money for nothing would be my approach, again increase some benefits but no pay for anyone who is not working on a community service scheme .... these schemes can be used to maintain community facilities, help old folk, maintain public areas, support public bodies, work on community events, support local sports initiatives etc etc etc as as usual T&C apply 8-)

Politics ..... lets cut the crap and start again, are we that dumb that a new constitution and political structure cannot be drawn up (prob some law against it, eh GT) and politician numbers calculated on a pro-rata basis .... ie 1 elected representative for every 100k people. That gives us 40 politicians to run the country and basically elect them on the basis of voter numbers in their areas. So Dublin would have most seats and the likes of Leitrim and Cavan only have one seat between them .... this would ensure that the incoming politicians represent and have to answer to equal numbers of voters.

Courts ... as a Judge recently discussed .... why are we giving free legal aid to people who can pay X thousands of euros for bail in cash ? why are we paying out MILLIONS of euros in relation to claims against the state every year? hellllo GT

Charities ... they should only get charitable status on the basis of an open books policy full transperancy in relation to spending on wages inc perks etc
I could go on, but theres probably enough there to get me branded a dictator :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant Toss, I'd happily sign up to all you say. I see you put the kids first....brill. A good education for all young kids is the gateway to a better future for them and a more equal society which is good for everyone. And tying the children's allowance to attendance/progress at school is genius. wuu wuu wuu This would be a great mechanism for getting disinterested parents.....interested!. wuu
Adults....totally agree. If you get social welfare for being unemployed, do something positive for society.

Politics: It's a great year for a revolution. :lol: Fewer politicians, divorced from parish pump politics, concentrating on the best policies for the whole country and the PEOPLE! Party politics no longer an issue. Not sure what mechanism would keep these politicians 'clean'.

Courts: I agree. Major reform required here such that the four gold mines or whatever they're called become accessible to ALL citizens and we're not being ripped off.

Charities: Transparency in this field and everywhere else. I hate the way the HSE / State Claims Agency is very secretive and put parents through the legal wringer causing great distress...parents who are already in a bad place because of negligence or whatever. They do NOT act in my name when they do this.....just get on and help the parents!

Very good start Toss wuu wuu wuu
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:55 pm

It's my understanding that if you change the Government you can change society. People need to be reminded that the government is there by the people for the people. We vote them in on the understanding that they are simply Civil servants elected with our best interests at heart.

Sorry that should be in the joke topic. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was gonna say that too.Strum.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Toss » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Strum wrote:It's my understanding that if you change the Government you can change society. People need to be reminded that the government is there by the people for the people. We vote them in on the understanding that they are simply Civil servants elected with our best interests at heart.

Sorry that should be in the joke topic. :D

Indeed ....

Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby slipper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Gulliver » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 pm

My issue is enforcement of regulation - yep regulation in general.
I want to see a personal criminal offence called "Breach of Regulation" prosecuted regularly in the Criminal Courts

As currently set up most breaches of regulation are regarded as having been done by companies, institutions, or other entities - never by individuals.
Thus if your new house falls down, the building company is blamed - it has probably gone out of business, and the purchaser suffers
If your bank collapses it is most likely that the individuals will suffer (that is very slightly changing) but the whole community suffers.

In reality, all breaches of regulation are done by individuals, who should be personally accountable. If a bad mix of concrete goes into a house, the site foreman should be personally held responsible. If the design is faulty, the architect should be personally responsible. If a bank breaches prudential rules, the Financial controller or other person responsible should be named and held responsible.

A few high-profile jailings later, a very much higher standard of regulation would emerge
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Dancer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:32 am

xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Toss » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Excellent Dancer (welcome back btw), life could be one long musical....

Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:55 pm

I'd do away with political correctness and this obsession with diversity.
- it is the new way of keeping sheeple down.
"look, the Emperor has no clothes"- no, you cant say that. The Emperor is just different from the crowd and he is entitled to everything the state has on offer and more. dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:02 pm

grammer wrote:"look, the Emperor has no clothes"

Aha I was wondering who that naked man was wandering through Tescos in Ballybrack the other day. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:47 pm

Parents/guardians should be responsible for their children as long as they live together.
Any person giving a false alibi should be liable for Community Service.
Severance pay for politicians should be abolished.
Politicians pensions must only be paid at the age of 66.
All students in receipt of grants must give at lease 4 years service to Ireland in the field they have studied.
(this would give us more Social Workers and Nurses instantly, other professionals would obtain valuable
experience which will help them).
No hand-outs to anyone without thorough checking. Too many on the Social can afford to take off on a
couple of holidays a year.

That's my lot for now but there are a lot of savings to be had from this list.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:31 am

You have my vote Sinead wuu
I have long argued that there is enough money to run the country properly, its just wasted on populist treats and self promotion by the politicians.

I would ban election posters / leaflets etc etc and restrict those running for office to either public speaking or canvassing.... make them face their employers if they want the job.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 am

Sinead wrote:All students in receipt of grants must give at lease 4 years service to Ireland in the field they have studied.
(this would give us more Social Workers and Nurses instantly, other professionals would obtain valuable
experience which will help them).

Sinéad

Agree wholeheartedly there Sinead.We are training our doctors to have them go abroad the minute they qualify. Then we are paying again to retrain doctors from far countries some with limited qualifications and even more limited grasp of the English language and little empathy with the foreign Irish whom they can't be expected to understand.One big mess and noone calling halt.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 am

I was listening to more horror stories from our hospital emergency depts......patients on ambulance trolleys in the corridors ....ambulances and crews outside waiting to retrieve their trolleys...logjam in e.d.
How did we end up in this mess?
Solution:
Overall Aim: The hospital output in terms of patients leaving the hospital has to equal or be greater than the number entering the hospital (hospital input). The onus is on management in cooperation with the medical staff to achieve this.
Medical staff sufficient to achieve this aim recruited.
A simple set of key performance indicators is established and maintained to monitor performance.
Not meeting reasonable targets has consequences.....re-training, firing.
Hospital Input:
Establish primary care centres around the country to minimise hospital input.
Closed wards are re-opened to maximise capacity.
The total capacity of the hospital is set such that no patients are on trolleys in corridors. In other words, the hospital admits patients up to this max only and does not allow patients in corridors etc. Apparently, in the States the hospitals make sure all incoming patients are attended to promptly FOR FEAR OF LITIGATION!
Hospital Output:
Sufficient step down beds provided in nursing homes and convalescent homes. These facilities get built asap. This assists with maximising hospital output.
The money follows the patient. The days of hospitals getting a budget irrespective of patient numbers processed are over.

This is pretty much a rehash of what is supposed to be happening.......as a nation we should have this SORTED decades ago! BangHead BangHead BangHead
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby grammer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:00 am

Apparently, in the States the hospitals make sure all incoming patients are attended to promptly FOR FEAR OF LITIGATION

Good post Zirco-but that only applies if you have the cover or the money otherwise it's charity hospitals -if you are lucky enough to have one in your town or city-no cover or money no treatment. dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
I may be wrong -but I dont think so.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby bugrock » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:31 am

Soylent Green
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Rocker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 am

Just googled that Bugs. Nevere heard of it nor saw it....sounds gruesome. Things are really not that bad here. Just inefficient and no idea of work ethic.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:27 am

bugrock wrote:Soylent Green

"You can not be serious!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Toss » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Zirco wrote:I was listening to more horror stories from our hospital emergency depts......
Overall Aim: The hospital output in terms of patients leaving the hospital has to equal or be greater than the number entering the hospital (hospital input). The onus is on management in cooperation with the medical staff to achieve this.

Zirco, despite all your good intentions.... the hospitals situation is the nightmare of nightmares scenario. The wastage is beyond belief from top to bottom, there is no unity with staff fractions and unions everywhere. All the while litigation is an industry within an industry ... over €100 million is paid out annually and thats before you count the cost of lost hours, expenses etc etc. I've said it on here before, I know a taximan who gets regular calls to bring an electrician from his home in Crumlin to St Vincents at weekends to press back a trip switch !!!!! BangHead. The hospital staff all know the solution when a trip switch flips, BUT no one is allowed touch it thanks to a myriad of laws both legal and unionised. The hospital scenario is a classic example of what happens when you start down the road of business advisors / consultants (non med), common sense goes out the window as the solutions are more than likely to be agenda driven and eventually lead to more of the same and ulimately chaos. Fortunately we still have some great doctors and staff at our hospitals BUT the strain is telling and successive governments have not had the balls to shout STOP..... its all talks after talks about more talks.

Personally I believe we threw the baby out with the bathwater (pardon ther pun:roll:) when sub-contracting key areas under the guise of savings ... short term gains for long term loss. I think the classic example is buying (or leasing) a large expensive piece of equipment that has an expected lifespan of say six years. The process in buying it involves many meetings, research and quotations, the machine is bought and of course the annual service contract arrives with it (its an XYZ machine and alas only XYZ staff are qualified to service it !). Once installed and up and running, this machine will never be used 24/7 as per its designed use ... we structure our hospitals to operate on a high/low peak system, this creates waiting lists during the day and expensive machinery sitting idle at night :oops:

So basically, we need a complete restructuring of our hospitals BUT nobody is willing to step up and do the dirty work.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Toss wrote:
Zirco wrote:I was listening to more horror stories from our hospital emergency depts......

Zirco, despite all your good intentions.... the hospitals situation is the nightmare of nightmares scenario. The wastage is beyond belief from top to bottom, there is no unity with staff fractions and unions everywhere. All the while litigation is an industry within an industry ... over €100 million is paid out annually and thats before you count the cost of lost hours, expenses etc etc. I've said it on here before, I know a taximan who gets regular calls to bring an electrician from his home in Crumlin to St Vincents at weekends to press back a trip switch !!!!! BangHead. The hospital staff all know the solution when a trip switch flips, BUT no one is allowed touch it thanks to a myriad of laws both legal and unionised. The hospital scenario is a classic example of what happens when you start down the road of business advisors / consultants (non med), common sense goes out the window as the solutions are more than likely to be agenda driven and eventually lead to more of the same and ulimately chaos. Fortunately we still have some great doctors and staff at our hospitals BUT the strain is telling and successive governments have not had the balls to shout STOP..... its all talks after talks about more talks.

Personally I believe we threw the baby out with the bathwater (pardon ther pun:roll:) when sub-contracting key areas under the guise of savings ... short term gains for long term loss. I think the classic example is buying (or leasing) a large expensive piece of equipment that has an expected lifespan of say six years. The process in buying it involves many meetings, research and quotations, the machine is bought and of course the annual service contract arrives with it (its an XYZ machine and alas only XYZ staff are qualified to service it !). Once installed and up and running, this machine will never be used 24/7 as per its designed use ... we structure our hospitals to operate on a high/low peak system, this creates waiting lists during the day and expensive machinery sitting idle at night :oops:

So basically, we need a complete restructuring of our hospitals BUT nobody is willing to step up and do the dirty work.

wuu wuu wuu
Toss, What you say has a ring of truth about it, no doubt. Extraordinary wastage, archaic demarcations, staff worn out through constant high stress, equipment lying idle, not patient focussed. A bit like the NHS in the UK, only worse.

Did you see that TV series years ago where Gerry Robinson went into a NHS hospital with all the above problems....he visited the hospital several times....talked to the staff..surgeons were going golfing on Friday afternoon...it was tradition or something..he came up with guidelines.....he turned the hospital around, clever man that he is.
So Toss, I'd love to hear your solution...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Next

Return to GENERAL CHAT