Happiness is.......

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Happiness is.......

Postby Zirco » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

Any thoughts or ideas about what constitutes happiness...post away :D :lol: Open to all ideas etc, simple, complex, profound, quirky, funny....the more the merrier. :D :lol: :D :lol:
There used to be a cartoon series on this topic years ago ....was it a caption under Charlie Brown ?

Happiness is.......being cosy warm in bed when it's blowing a gale outside. :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: Happiness is.......

Postby Zirco » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 am

Happiness is.........Enjoying your perfect cup of coffee....oh yes :D :D
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 am

Snowhite wrote:A great note for all to read it will take just 37 seconds to read this and change your thinking

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back. The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.
Every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.
The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and colour of the world outside.
The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every colour and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.
As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene.
One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by.
Although the other man couldn't hear the band - he could see it. In his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.
Days and weeks passed.
One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.
Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside.
He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed.
It faced a blank wall. The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.
The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall.
She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."

Epilogue:
There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.
Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
"Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present."
:hayla: to All.

Came across this Snowhite...it's a very powerful story. Hope you don't mind me re-posting here. :D :D
Happiness is .........helping others. wuu wuu wuu
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Dancer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 pm

For me, a hug constitutes happiness. It's something I never experienced as a child and had to
learn to give and accept as an adult and it is the most wonderful exchange of affection between two people.
Sometimes when words are not enough , a hug is just the ticket !
And of course music is for me the root of happiness . I love music and couldn't imagine life without it.
Dancing to an upbeat tune or holding someone close and moving to the rhythm of a soft romantic song
is definitely a source of happiness . Sitting around a table with lots of friends and enjoying a bite to eat and
a few drinks and just having the craic . Having the right people in your life is a major happiness factor and of course
the most important one of all......being happy in yourself ! dnc1 dnc1 dnc1
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks for reposting that Zirco.

Happiness is being well.

Had to rush with an old pal to St Michaels this morning and the amount of very ill and upset people in A&E made me think just how lucky we are to be on our feet.Staff are amazing there.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes Rocker ! It's everything, for me ,being well and mobile and seeing my Grandchildren grow and flourish is happiness.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Helium » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:17 am

Dancer wrote:For me, a hug constitutes happiness. It's something I never experienced as a child and had to
learn to give and accept as an adult and it is the most wonderful exchange of affection between two people.
And of course music is for me the root of happiness . I love music and couldn't imagine life without it.
Dancing to an upbeat tune or holding someone close and moving to the rhythm of a soft romantic song
is definitely a source of happiness . Sitting around a table with lots of friends and enjoying a bite to eat and
a few drinks and just having the craic . Having the right people in your life is a major happiness factor and of course

I agree Dancer about happiness being the people in our lives. Hugs were very scarce in childhood years ago, restraint was the order of the day. Praise was also in short supply but criticism was everywhere, children should be seen and not heard was the norm. I made a point of doing the opposite with my own children on the basis that the world would get to them soon enough. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Helium
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 am

:( :( :( :( :(
I have said it before on a couple of occasions -
I had a very happy childhood
So it looks like I'm the odd one out here. dontknow dontknow dontknow
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Toss » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:02 am

Happiness is what you make it...... its vital that we all recognise what is important to us and what makes us happy.

For me its family, friends, laughter and song, so sing along -
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby grammer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:21 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A fruit 6 phone????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby bugrock » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:35 am

Happiness was, when youse were all takin' the piss outa me an' Dancer evillaugh evillaugh evillaugh
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Helium » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:34 am

grammer wrote::( :( :( :( :(
I have said it before on a couple of occasions -
I had a very happy childhood
So it looks like I'm the odd one out here. dontknow dontknow dontknow

I did have a very happy childhood Grammer but hugs and etc. were not on the menu :roll: :roll: :roll:
Helium
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:10 pm

bugrock wrote:Happiness was, when youse were all takin' the piss outa me an' Dancer evillaugh evillaugh evillaugh

I used to work with a carpenter many years ago and he used to love singing his own 'special' versions of famous songs ...... on Happiness, he used to change the title to "ha-penis, ha-penis, the greatest thing that I possess" :oops: His version of Walk the line was a killer that I never got out of my head as he sang : I keep my fly wide open all the time, I keep my trousers tied up with twine ...... because you're mine, just pull the twine :o what can I say, little things mean a lot - whatever makes you happy :lol: :lol: :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:23 pm

:lol: :lol: Toss...he should have got together with my mother who had a great voice but not one correct word of any song...She looked like Marlene Dietrich and her version of underneath the lamplight (Lily Marlene) would make your cat laugh.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:44 pm

I too had a very happy carefree childhood. My Dad died when I was young,
Mam was the provider - there was always food, clean comfortable beds and
heat. My Mam was great to bring six of us up!

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Helium » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:38 pm

Sinead wrote:I too had a very happy carefree childhood. My Dad died when I was young,
Mam was the provider - there was always food, clean comfortable beds and
heat. My Mam was great to bring six of us up!

Sinéad

Your Mam sounds great Sinead especially to have to bring up six alone. Not much help around in the past either except from family. My Mam was strong too after my Dad died she still had two of my brothers still in school. Great strong Wimmen as Bugs would say! wuu wuu wuu
Helium
Advanced Member

Postby Zirco » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 am

Dancer wrote:For me, a hug constitutes happiness. It's something I never experienced as a child and had to

There's a lot to be said for a hug alright,..... as you say Dancer, a hug is just the ticket! dnc1 dnc1
More hugs in the world = a better world. dnc1 dnc1 :D
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Snowhite » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 am

Happiness .....For me is remembering having a cuddle with my hubby (RIP) and listening to this man's Album, this one song has special memoires for me dnc1 dnc1 dnc1 dnc2

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:45 am

My favourite "Happiness" Song EVER! ;)

Strum
Administrator

Postby Zirco » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Toss wrote:
bugrock wrote:Happiness was, when youse were all takin' the piss outa me an' Dancer evillaugh evillaugh evillaugh

I used to work with a carpenter many years ago and he used to love singing his own 'special' versions of famous songs ...... on Happiness, he used to change the title to "ha-penis, ha-penis, the greatest thing that I possess" :oops: His version of Walk the line was a killer that I never got out of my head as he sang : I keep my fly wide open all the time, I keep my trousers tied up with twine ...... because you're mine, just pull the twine :o what can I say, little things mean a lot - whatever makes you happy :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's brill Toss,
Do you remember Joseph Locke, the Derry singer... he sang operatic and popular songs...had a really powerful voice.
One of his songs had the lines. "My heart is broken, but what care I", sung powerfully.
Well, a guy I knew, when he was a bit cold, changed this to
"My ass is frozen, but what care I"
Or if he was in the loo for a loooong time
"My ass is broken, but what care I" , sung with gusto, a la Joseph Locke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Sinead » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Joseph Locke lived on Merrion Avenue for many years. A fantastic
singer who could swear for Ireland!

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Every time I see Mickey Finn of Irish Nationwide renoun, I' reminded of Joseph Locke.

The Derry native had his own special relationship with the State. In his case, Her Majesty's Inland Revenue helped clarify matters.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 pm

I had a happiness day today. Five of our 6 grandchildren were with me,we went down to the little playground in Greystones and just to see them interact was magic. The joy written in their smiles was all the happiness I would ever want and hugs were in abundance. Lucky me.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Sinead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Now Denis, that is happiness in abundance.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Nice one Denis. :D
Strum
Administrator

Next

Return to GENERAL CHAT