Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Sport

Postby Holla » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:06 am

Up the Dubs,c'mon lads you can do it.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sinead » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Whew!!! I listened to the match until the last 5 minutes and then put on the TV.
I had several heart attacks in that few minutes. Perhaps a draw would have been
more fair. Mayo I think played better football.
Delighted Dublin got 3 in a row.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 pm

I agree Sinéad you have to feel sorry for Mayo,they are the only team at the moment that can give Dublin a game. 3 in a row is great and they will be favourite to make it 4. Your heart goes out to Mayo they put so much into the game and they are great sportsmen, I don't think that anyone would begrudge them an All Ireland.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Toss » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Do I feel sorry for Mayo ?..... about as much as they would for us if they won ;-) joking aside, it was a great game and both teams did themselves proud. UP THE DUBS, we want four ! wuu wuu wuu
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby keeper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Don't feel sorry for Mayo, they had their chances, although I thought they were on the wrong side of Lady Luck a few times, having said that if any team were to beat Dublin in the final I wouldn't begrudge Mayo the win.
keeper

Postby Toss » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm

WELL DONE PAUL DUNNE....... BRITISH MASTERS WINNER 2017.

Great performance by the greystones man and what a way to finish !

Denis must be like a proud dad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Taught him all he knows Toss particularly cursing. I'm delighted for him, as I said before,he's a lovely young lad and comes from a lovely family. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby masterblaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:30 pm

great news indeed many congratulations to Paul this one he will remember for years to come.Greystones will be so proud of him too. Hope its the first of many
masterblaster

Postby jabra » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Congradulations Paul Dunne great win
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Yes! Bravo Paul Dunne ! Big celebrations for Greystones wuu wuu wuu
keeper

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Heard the great news today about Paul Dunne. Thought of our Denis who brought Paul to our attention. Delighted for him, his family, friends and the whole of Greystones. wuu wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 am

Best of luck to the Irish football team tonight ...... not that it matters to O'Neill and Keane as they have just got another hefty slice of the FAI cake put into their retirement fund. I expect we will win easily, but I can only hope we play a few new faces and not use our standard hoofball approach.
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:38 am

I was a big fan of O' Neill and Keane but not anymore. They are far too afraid to let the players express themselves and are not much better than Trappatoni. They should win tonight but if Long is not fit, whose gonna put the ball in the net? maybe we'll get an O.G. As for playing hoofball, does he know any other way. I've got to a stage where if the other team are better I'm cheering for them, I never thought that I could ever feel that way. Sad. As for the renewing their contract it's very obvious that no other team are interested in hiring them. I know that we'll never be world beaters but at least let us try to play constructive football that people can watch and enjoy.
Denis Cromie

Postby keeper » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Agree Denis, but let's wish them well for the next two games. Watched England game last night, a dreadful game and England are woefully short of class, some nice tricky tacky passing but mostly going nowhere !
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:17 pm

I agree Keeper, England are very poor, the general standard of positive football is atrocious but tonight we played well in the first half but then the fear set in. We seem to have a lack of confidence in our own ability and that has to do with the manager. Monday is another day, my fear is we may get an early goal and then we'll retreat. I dearly hope we qualify but I'd like to see us play decent football so that young people taking up the game will be encouraged to develop the technical skills that are necessary to compete at an international level.
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Denis Cromie wrote: We seem to have a lack of confidence in our own ability and that has to do with the manager.

Too true Denis, O'Neill and Keane are old school tough love characters and it comes across in their press conferences. It was interesting that O'Dowda finally got his chance ..... as I have said, the talent is there but the two boys prefer the likes of Glen Whelan.

I thought we offered nothing down the right as Christie was on his own, Shane Long was having a nightmare and Duffy was getting away with murder as he went AWOL far too often. Wales will test our defence a lot more and I can only hope we take the game to them from the start, sitting back will see us concede.

All to play for, so fingers crossed.
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am

To be honest Toss part of me wants to see us win, the other is to rid ourselves of the negativity that O'Neill/Keane has brought. But because of the extended contract the second part won't happen soon enough,so it has to be the part that wants a win tonight. I suppose if we get through I'll enjoy the coverage and comment on the games in Russia. So c'mon you Boys in Green.
Denis Cromie

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Well we won,still don't know how,but it was hard to watch,and in my view it was a flukey win.We can't continue to play that style of football and hope to encourage young people to be interested in the game. You can never doubt the courage of the players but there's more to the game than courage.
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 am

Denis Cromie wrote:Well we won,still don't know how,but it was hard to watch,and in my view it was a flukey win.We can't continue to play that style of football and hope to encourage young people to be interested in the game. You can never doubt the courage of the players but there's more to the game than courage.

'Winning ugly' is the term they use for that type of performance and despite all the hype that will follow, it is a road to nowhere as Wales were very very poor. I know our lads worked hard and gave their everything, but it was painful to watch and I think we scored from our only chance in the game. There was hardly a decent passing move in the whole 95 minutes and the last ten minutes should be used as a prime example of what the game should never decend into .... 21 players in one half of the pitch and not a football brain between them as Wales kept feeding Duffy with high balls into the box and we just hoofed it back out.

We now have the pleasure of facing one of the seeded teams (Denmark, Portugal/Switzerland, Italy and Croatia) over two legs in November and from that lot probably Italy or Denmark would be my choice.... I would not be booking any flights to the finals just yet.
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 am

I agree but playing "ugly" is an understatement,if this is what the game has come to true soccer people will soon lose interest,if they have not already done so.
Denis Cromie

Postby Micheál » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Another great day for Cuala . . .

Leinster Ladies Junior Football Champions
Dublin Senior Hurling Champions (for 3rd consecutive year)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Well done Cuala wuu wuu

I'm also delighted for Katie Taylor WBA Lightweight champion. Katie you are a legend wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jabra » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes indeed well done Katie Taylor
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 am

Well done Cuala - Ladies and Men a great achievement for the Club.

Much as I dislike ladies boxing I have to congratulate Katie, what an
achievement. I wish the papers would refer only to her wins, she is
the sportswoman and forget about her father and his activities.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Cuala abu wuu wuu wuu

Its a pity Katies opponent failed to make the weight, very poor show given the preparations involved. Without sounding too negative, I thought Katie has seriously bulked up since turning professional and I sincerely hope it is a natural development as a few friends of mine have noted the same and commented on how the professional game is known to require boxers to take some unusual supplements in their diet.
Toss

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT