Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Sport

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Tough on Séamus,a real pro,hope he has a speedy recovery. Dreadful match,we set out to get a draw and that's what we got.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Toss » Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 pm

I see the mighty Tiger Woods is having trouble with his driving ....... all that money and he cant afford a taxi.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40087317

It just shows you how money cannot buy you happiness, he's a multi millionaire who has been indulged all his life and now its car crash TV as he falls apart while his agents and leeches disappear into the distance. Lets hope someone close to him has the guts to slap him back into reality and not just bleed him dry in the Betty Ford Clinic.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 am

This Mc Gregor/Mayweather circus is a great testament to how easily people all over the world can be manipulated.

How anyone can consider this as entertainment is beyond me, at its base level ... its promotion enables young kids to think that fighting is acceptable and in doing so it normalizes violence.

I know there are many fight fans out there, but as far as I can see ..... it comes from an era where the wealthy paid the poor to beat lumps out of each other for entertainment and that is wrong in so many ways.
Toss

Postby Micheál » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Toss wrote:This Mc Gregor/Mayweather circus is a great testament to how easily people all over the world can be manipulated.

How anyone can consider this as entertainment is beyond me, at its base level ... its promotion enables young kids to think that fighting is acceptable and in doing so it normalizes violence.

I know there are many fight fans out there, but as far as I can see ..... it comes from an era where the wealthy paid the poor to beat lumps out of each other for entertainment and that is wrong in so many ways.

Right on the nail there Toss

The same Sports journalist are having hissy fits about bad haviour in GAA, calling for further concussion controls in Rugby and then praising "a great right to the head" when it comes to Boxing.

Of course the defenders will tell you about "character building" which is exactly what the Brothers used to say about the strap.

If I had my way McGregor AND 'normal' boxing would be consigned to the same bin as Cock Fighting, Badger Baiting and Dog Fighting.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Back to real sport . . . .

Loved the way RTE Sunday Game Live chose the closing music for their GAA coverage this afternoon. For the uninitiated,
1. Dublin trounced a fancied Tyrone side - rendering Peter Harte ineffective and leaving his namesake Mickey Harte's tactical plans in ruins.
2. Mickey Harte still refuses to give RTE interviews because they overlooked his pet candidate for the role of Senior GAA correspondent
and recalling too, solar events earlier in the week . .

The music . . . Bonnie Taylor - Total Eclipse of the (Hartes)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Micheál wrote:Back to real sport . . . .

Loved the way RTE Sunday Game Live chose the closing music for their GAA coverage this afternoon. For the uninitiated,
1. Dublin trounced a fancied Tyrone side - rendering Peter Harte ineffective and leaving his namesake Mickey Harte's tactical plans in ruins.
2. Mickey Harte still refuses to give RTE interviews because they overlooked his pet candidate for the role of Senior GAA correspondent
and recalling too, solar events earlier in the week . .

The music . . . Bonnie Taylor - Total Eclipse of the (Hartes)

M.

wuu wuu wuu
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Couldn't believe the excessive coverage RTE gave the Mc Gregor/ Mayweather fight,it was just a big con. But about the Dublin/Tyrone game we must be careful not to be triumphalist, but it was great. Lets hope the trouncing that Tyrone got will stop other teams going down the negative route to the game. Up the Dubs wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby keeper » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:24 pm

While the Mayo v Kerry game did nothing to alter my view that GAA football err handball rugby hasn't gone to the dogs and the no contest between Dublin and Tyrone ( just going on highlights) I think that Mayo will give the Dubs a good test. Mayo, because of so many games look fit and more importantly are " match fit " and also have the experience from last year, so hopefully we will for once have a classic fairly fought " football" final. Maybe someone can explain to me why when a sub comes on he immediately runs to his opposite number and gives him a push or shove or a dig in the ribs to introduce himself dontknow
keeper

Postby Dancer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Great win for the Dubs . They played a great game . I agree they will have a tough game
against Mayo in the final but ......what a day out that will be ! Looking forward to it !
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Micheál » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 pm

keeper wrote:While the Mayo v Kerry game did nothing to alter my view that GAA football err handball rugby hasn't gone to the dogs and the no contest between Dublin and Tyrone ( just going on highlights) I think that Mayo will give the Dubs a good test. Mayo, because of so many games look fit and more importantly are " match fit " and also have the experience from last year, so hopefully we will for once have a classic fairly fought " football" final. Maybe someone can explain to me why when a sub comes on he immediately runs to his opposite number and gives him a push or shove or a dig in the ribs to introduce himself dontknow

Like the time Vinney Murray (Trinity Gaels ?) came on and "ricocheted" his way through half the Meath team - only to earn a yellow even before play resumed. Its a GAA Hakka thing.

M.
(actually, it irritates me too).
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:53 pm

keeper wrote: Maybe someone can explain to me why when a sub comes on he immediately runs to his opposite number and gives him a push or shove or a dig in the ribs to introduce himself dontknow

Ah sure its like the song ...... 'I sent her my love with a bang on the ear'.

Nothing better than letting your opponents know you are up for a fight and wont be bullied or intimidated. Personally I always felt it more effective to stamp on their toes as I introduced myself to them with a good dig in the ribs, but you had to watch for the tall lads, they would take the head off you with an elbow if they could get close enough. :lol:

Heres to the good old days ..... and the bally boys goalie's family :roll:

Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 pm

I met the next door neighbour on Saturday morning going off to the Kerry/Mayo match. She was all dressed up in her Kerry colours alongwith her 2 daughters and her husband who was bravely sporting the Dublin colours. I was doing the garden yesterday and she was hanging out clothes so I commiserated with her over Kerry 's defeat. And being the good neighbour I said, sure wasn't it better to have Mayo beat you than have Dublin slaughter you in the final. I'm not sure if she's still talking to me. 8-)
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:I met the next door neighbour on Saturday morning going off to the Kerry/Mayo match. She was all dressed up in her Kerry colours alongwith her 2 daughters and her husband who was bravely sporting the Dublin colours. I was doing the garden yesterday and she was hanging out clothes so I commiserated with her over Kerry 's defeat. And being the good neighbour I said, sure wasn't it better to have Mayo beat you than have Dublin slaughter you in the final. I'm not sure if she's still talking to me. 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:24 am

Hey Denis...we broke our hearts laughing about you and your neighbour....fabulous :lol: :lol:

Now this hurling match Up Galway wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:01 pm

I'll be shouting for Galway also Rocker. It should be a great match. Looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be a lot better than the Ireland match today we were appalling,the worst performance I can remember, it makes you wonder what the management team are doing.They seem totally bereft of ideas.
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:'m sure it will be a lot better than the Ireland match today we were appalling,the worst performance I can remember, it makes you wonder what the management team are doing.They seem totally bereft of ideas.

It was an embarrasing and pathetic performace, BUT not unexpected because that is the limit of Martin O'Neill's tactical nous. He is an old school 'frustrate the opposition' Manager, who prefers to see his team as underdogs in a two horse race. Hence we get the backs to the wall football and a team peppered with scrappers as opposed to players. The media have a huge hand in this as well, they have bought into the spin about not having the players to play any other way and the average fan now believes we have no options. Howevre the options are there and O'Neill just ignores them until such time as injuries force him to change.

What we watched last night was the Georgia players looking to play football by passing and moving, by running with the ball and by attacking the opposition. This is what the game is all about, but team Ireland have long decided that such tactics are not to be used under any circumstances ..... we operate like a boxer who just holds his gloves up to defend his face without throwing a punch and hopes his opponent gets tired enough to fall over. Martin O'Neill is perfect for the FAI, his cautious negative approach guarantee's expectations are never raised to the point where fans want success. Georgia are no great shakes in reality and I would compare them to a top championship team in England. As such we have more than enough good ball players to match them for skill, yet we persist with O'Neill's dogged approach that see's the likes of Glen Whelan still getting a game.

At this stage, I dont blame O'Neill or Keane ..... they do what they always have done, its the FAI who are responsible and thats one cosy organisation where its CEO is paid the equivalent of ten working mens salaries without question. We will continue to try and frustrate the opposition on Tuesday night, but rest assured Serbia are more like a Premiership team and if we sit back .... we will get mauled, so its in your faces from the off and hope for a free kick or a corner as a route to goal. :oops:
Toss

Postby Harjoe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:56 pm

We will get hammered on Tuesday if we play as bad as last night how many passes did we put together three ,Georgia had 15 passes before the goal and all we did was hope a set piece goal from a corner or free kick midfield Brady ,Whelan and Arther never in the game full backs Ward and Christe given run around forwards no service ,over all we did not turn up,if we play like that on Tuesday we can forget about World Cup so don't get your passports ready for Russia in 2018.
Looking forward to the Hurling today players who play with their hearts.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby jabra » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:41 pm

well I blame O'Neill and Keane having Shane Long as a lone striker is madness.when he does win a header there is no player to head it to.
Whelan in midfield is also madness and has been for a couple of years. O'Neill picks the team himself and Keane decide the tactics so they
have to take some of the blame the players take the rest.
By the way using the hit and hope long ball to a lone striker and hoofing it anywhere out of defence just does'nt work in the modern game.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Fantastic to see the Liam McCarthy Cup coming back to Leinster wuu

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 pm

I am a Dublin supporter and have been for over 50 years. Yesterday I was rooting for Waterford,
they have been without the cup for more years than Galway. Enjoyed the match. Always great
to see the supporters intermingled.
Haven't a hope in hell of getting a ticket for the Dublin v Mayo final. God be with the days when
you just rolled up to Croke Park on the day and paid.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:52 am

I don't think that there is anything else, than what has already been said about our recent International soccer performances. I'm reaching a stage where I find myself wishing the other team would score so as we could rid ourselves of this appallingly negative approach to playing football. You look at Northern Ireland, who have less resources than we, and they can play a brand of football that produces goals. I have to admit that I thought that we would do well when I first heard that O' Neill and Keane were going to be part of the setup,but now I'm just so disappointed. If there is no improvement on Saturday's performance tonight it's time they went. :cry: :evil:
Denis Cromie

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Well we were much better than Saturday which begs the question why did O'Neill not play tonight's team then. Once Wes went off tonight we reverted to type, hoof it up the middle. Sad.
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Well we were much better than Saturday which begs the question why did O'Neill not play tonight's team then. Once Wes went off tonight we reverted to type, hoof it up the middle. Sad.

Leopards dont change their spots..... it was like being at a tennis match at times as the ball rarely touched the grass. We huffed and puffed as usual, but never really created a clear chance and that is not good enough. When your opposition is down to ten men, its common knowledge that you push wide on both wings in order to open up the opposition defence. We went long and tried the left on occasion BUT Christie had the freedom of the park on our right and was ignored most of the time.

We will beat Moldova easily enough and then its on to Wales in Cardiff ..... I wont be expecting a classic as these two teams share a lot of traits. Bale is the only difference and if we can shut him out, then we have a chance. I am betwixt and between on this one as I want us to qualify but also want O'Neill out and a manager with a ball playing approach brought in.
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Like you Toss I want them to qualify but whose going to score the goals. He has Mc Clean running around like a blue arsed fly and by the time he has a chance to have a shot he's exhausted.It's caveman football and O'Neill is not for turning. BangHead
Denis Cromie

Postby Harjoe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Better display last but once Holahan went off that was the end, Myler did a better job than Glen Whelan ,Ward can't cross the ball can't lift the ball over the first man again Horicane when he came on he is a leftfooted player but still could not cross the ball he also had acres of space on the left but the two centre halfs were hoofing the ball up the middle ,we have no chance to qualify.
Harjoe
Executive Member

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT