Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Sport

Postby keeper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Well deserved success Cuala after last years heartbreak wuu wuu wuu
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Cuala Hurlers have gone a step closer to glory. They've just booked their place in the All Ireland Club Hurling Final in March.
For those of you who may not be au fait with the ways of GAA, this is simply stunning. There's going to me a magic day out on St Patrick's Day. Book your diaries now. The atmosphere in Croker will be electric.

Their achievement is particularly impressive when you consider
1. the cultural backdrop. A minority sport competing with Soccer, Rugby, Tennis, Hockey, Sailing, etc. . . Very few Clubs face this competition.
2. The family connections - 99% Borough born and bred. ( & The rest work locally)
3. Contrary to popular GAA mythology, the club has no significant resources. It gives more than it get to GAA and DLRCoCo. All this success is funded by voluntary subscriptions, local sponsorship, fundraising etc.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:21 am

Great stuff Cuala,tremendous achievement. wuu wuu wuu

Great performance by Ireland in the Rugby yesterday. Brave men all, I thought Sexton and Murray were top class.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Harjoe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Brilliant performance by Cuala yesterday great day for the Boro' well done to all concerned , not a G A A man by any means but delighted with the effort by all at the Cuala club a win on St Patricks Day will cap it all congratulations .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Yesterday was a great day for amateur sport and Cuala in particular.
Well done Con for getting them off to a good start and to all the
others who played their hearts out to give their club this fantastic
achievement. The supporters also deserve to be mentioned, they
turned out in good numbers.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Cuala abu wuu wuu wuu
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:52 am

Toss wrote:Cuala abu wuu wuu wuu

I'll second that.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Barcelona 4-0 down and end winning 6-5 in the last second of injury time ......great game, great belief, the stuff that champions are made of.

wuu wuu
Toss

Postby Harjoe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I have to say the match last night restored my faith in football because all the hype of big name players getting millions of euros and not caring about the tradition of the clubs they are playing for was shown when playing for the people who pay your wages and believe in you then you must put in the effort that they deserve and all Barcelona players gave their all for the cause ,and I thought to come back from 4 0 down was a bridge too far .
The P S G players who are all internationals and get high wages forgot the first thing that football is about 25 percent skill and 75 percent heart you can have all the skill in the world but without heart in no matter what game you play you are on the road to defeat, I thought in the first leg P S G were great and Barca played very poorly, but with 4 goals up P S G thought they only had to turn up and progress to the next round but Braca had the heart and to see the joy it gave to the 100,000 who were there and the millions of fans all over they are more than just a club .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:40 pm

I agree with you Harjoe but I think the referee made some dreadful decisions against PSG, Mascherano admitted he fouled De Maria, the first peno where Neymar fell over the defender's head was disgraceful but as you say it's never over till the final whistle.
keeper

Postby Micheál » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:32 am

I'm sorry to say that, when it comes to (all) paid sports, I simply cant believe what I see anymore.
"Thrillers" like last night's no longer impress me.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 am

Micheál wrote:I'm sorry to say that, when it comes to (all) paid sports, I simply cant believe what I see anymore.
"Thrillers" like last night's no longer impress me.

M.

I know what you mean Michael, but its hard to get away from the fact that money is everywhere in all sports. Whether its Champions League super money or your local team offering a side benefit to a lad from another parish ..... winners are fed better, treated better, trained better and generally looked after better, its always been there and it costs money to do so. The administrators are operating in the lap of luxury these days ... all you have to do is look at how much the Irish Olympic Committee spent to bail out their head snake !

I may not agree with the huge money in some sports, but I would be the first to admit that there has been a huge progression in sports facilities and that is down the the money generated. Time and tide wait for no man and I much prefer money to be spent on winning in sports as opposed to war mongering madness.... the industry around sports is now huge and it enables the money to go around, creating employment ranging from the humble cleaner to top paid professional players and everything else in between.

Fancy having the Sam Maguire visit for a photoshoot ? money, money money ... https://www.facebook.com/Maguire4Hire-1849130298697117/
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Watched the match and I can't say I was impressed with Barcelona resorting to such blatant diving tactics. I agree with Keeper the ref was very poor and it was a very sad day for soccer to see such a great club like Barcelona behave in such a manner. It sets a very bad example to all the young people who may try and copy such cheating behaviour. For soccer to survive this type of cheating must be addressed. I watched Tipperary play Kilkenny tonight and it was terrific to see such skill, honesty and sportsmanship, a great example of what sport should be all about.
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 am

Denis Cromie wrote:Watched the match and I can't say I was impressed with Barcelona resorting to such blatant diving tactics. I agree with Keeper the ref was very poor and it was a very sad day for soccer to see such a great club like Barcelona behave in such a manner. It sets a very bad example to all the young people who may try and copy such cheating behaviour. For soccer to survive this type of cheating must be addressed. I watched Tipperary play Kilkenny tonight and it was terrific to see such skill, honesty and sportsmanship, a great example of what sport should be all about.

I can't say I was surprised, after all ..... Barcelona signed one of the biggest cheats in the game in Louis Suarez, he was well known for cheating :

and lets not forget, it's not just soccer either:

It is down to the sports authorities to deal with such gamesmanship and basic cheating, unfortunately not many in soccer seem to be bothered as they sit in their ivory towers ..... I think the ultimate example of that was our very own FAI took the money after the Henry hand ball incident
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:20 pm

I agree Toss,it is down to the sporting authorities to deal with it. And it's good to see that the cheaters are being lampooned as they are in those videos, pity more tougher penalties are not taken against the cheats, like banning for a considerable time. But then as Micheál says when money is involved in sport there is a tendency to look the other way.
Denis Cromie

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 am

Did you ever think you'd see the day when the Borough would be the home of All Ireland Club Hurling Champions?
Cuala Abú!

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Harjoe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:22 am

Congratulations to CUALA on becoming All Ireland Club Champions 2017 great acheivement for the "BORO" ,all sporting clubs in the area should be proud,WELL DONE TO ALL
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Tremendous achievement for Cuala, brilliant win, well done to all, would love it if my two uncles were still alive to witness it
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Great day for Cuala and The Boro. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Well done Cuala, best wishes to all in the Club for their dedication over
many years. This win makes it all worth while.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am

What a weekend .... I was in Dalkey on saturday night and it was buzzing thanks to Cuala and the egg chasers winning, so big bualadh Bos all around

(if only the Dubs had not left it so late ;) )
Toss

Postby Toss » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:47 am

Shocking to see Ireland captain Seamus Coleman suffer a double leg break last night, a nicer more genuine guy you could not wish to meet.
I hope his recovery is swift and complete, he is a rare gem in the modern sports world .... a man who has never forgot his roots.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:59 am

Toss wrote:Shocking to see Ireland captain Seamus Coleman suffer a double leg break last night, a nicer more genuine guy you could not wish to meet.
I hope his recovery is swift and complete, he is a rare gem in the modern sports world .... a man who has never forgot his roots.

What a mess! Hope he can overcome such a dreadful knock. It is going to be tough on him.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 am

Micheál wrote:Did you ever think you'd see the day when the Borough would be the home of All Ireland Club Hurling Champions?
Cuala Abú!

M.

Only heard about this today. I wondered what all the red and white flags were hanging from all th epoles.
Wow!! well done all.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jabra » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I wish someone in R.T.E sport would tell both George Hamilton and Ronnie Whelan that the name of the Wales soccer player is
Ben DAVIES and is pronounced as such and not Ben Davis a totally different surname.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT