Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.

Re: Sport

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm

WEll done Katie and Cuala. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby jabra » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Great win for Spurs against the mighty Real Madrid last night The glory glory days are back for a while anyway
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:03 pm

jabra wrote:Great win for Spurs against the mighty Real Madrid last night The glory glory days are back for a while anyway

Well done Spurs. I haven't followed them for years but when we were children it was a MUST to have a team and because I liked Danny Blanchflower I followed ~Spurs. Years later a pal of mine starred in a film The Glory Glory Days which was great fun and a very well made film. It might be on You tube ...worth a watch if only for the madness of teenagers in the 60's and of course my pal who played Toni.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:25 pm

It was a great win and fully deserved,by far the better team. I must admit that I thought Real who win but they ain't as good as I thought and the Spurs showed real class. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Didn't Cuala do well in the All Stars this evening!
Con O'Callaghan was certainly very modest in
his acceptance of the Young Footballer award.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby keeper » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Well done Cuala boys on their awards and another great win yesterday wuu
It was brought home to me yesterday how far down the pecking order domestic soccer is, I caught the early evening radio news and sport on Sunshine Radio, all the Premiership matches got full reports first, FAI cup final last and just the bare details at that, and, NO mention of the Women's FAI cup final :twisted:
keeper

Postby Toss » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 am

keeper wrote: FAI cup final last and just the bare details at that, and, NO mention of the Women's FAI cup final :twisted:

I agree with you Keeper, the LoI games are never given a good spot in the news.... but they only have themselves to blame. Soccer here is and always has been poorly run and allowed to limp along so long as the top brass got looked after. All you have to do is look at the way its structured ... the Premier Division is dropping from 12 to 10 teams next year and no imagination is used to develop the game and broaden its fanbase.

I remember talking to a LoI man at a Rovers game in the 90s and I suggested that the game needed a complete restructuring as there were too many teams in Dublin and none in some counties. I suggested that the GAA inter county model could be used as it would attract bigger crowds and they could look at shared grounds in the future ... he laughed and basically told me that the top brass woud never go down that road for fear of losing indentity and power. These myopic leaders of the game have driven it down a cul de sac and missed a great opportunity to see an Irish county team develop into a compeditive unit that would attract bigger crowds and in doing so, would almost certainly attract bigger sponsorship as it grew. Can you imagine an Irish county team making it to the Champions League, imagine the extra support a county team attracts .... fans would have inter county Soccer in the winter and GAA in summer.

As an example, I would suggest Bray Wanderers would not be in their current malaise if they were to have become Wicklow FC and moved to say Arklow and attracted supporters from all over the county as opposed to sitting on the outskirts of Dublin struggling to get by. Alas nobody at the top table is willing to look beyond their own self importance and do something that would bring the LoI football to the forefront, it needs major changes to enable it continue or we will be looking at a 6 team league in ten years.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby keeper » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm

True for you Toss, may not even have a league in 10 years !
keeper

Postby Toss » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Graet result for the egg chasers today, but SA are not the team they used to be.

As for the Denmark game .... the less said the better.
Toss

Postby Sinead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Toss, I am sure you are right, I know a little of 'Rugger' but nothing
of soccer. Having said that I was of the opinion the point of the
game was to score goals, there would be a lot of hungry players
if they were paid on goals scored.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Yeah South Africa were weak,not near as good as they use to be but as they say a win is a win is a win. I wish I could say that about the soccer, watching it was dire. Even the simple things like heading the ball to a team mate seems to be beyond them. BangHead
Denis Cromie

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Toss wrote:As for the Denmark game .... the less said the better.

:lol: Two deadly saves in a row near the start. That was more or less it. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Hard luck Northern Ireland, they really gave it their best and can hold their heads up high. Yet again, a controversial decision has cost the Irish ..... video evidence needs to come in right now.

As for Tuesday night's play off home leg, I think the 0-0 suited Denmark more that us .... they have the incentive to attack and get an away goal. I can't imagine the game can be as bad as the first leg... can it :roll:
Toss

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Have to admit I am not a sportsperson!! more a couch potato but I am blown away with the programme Irelands fittest family. Great fit young families working and exercising together. Oh, I wish my family had had the time and resources to involve us in sport or even in the outdoors we were all so busy with our heads down grafting for coppers. Well done the great new families of Ireland wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Great show Rocker. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 am

Denis Cromie wrote: I wish I could say that about the soccer, watching it was dire. Even the simple things like heading the ball to a team mate seems to be beyond them. BangHead

Sad to say, but we finally got what we deserved.

Martin O'Neill can be as belligerent as he likes in his interviews, but it was his tactics and his team .... and both were wrong for such an important game. His view of how the game should be played is never going to progress, they will get 1-0 wins and scrap for every ball ... but once they concede, its game over as they have no plan B and suddenly they need to out score the opposition. As for Roy the tea boy, I have no idea what he brings to the party other than his scowl.... easy money.
:(
Toss

Postby keeper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 am

Yes Toss ! You have summed it up perfectly, it was a tactical disaster to say the least, when we tried to play an open game we were shown up by lack of class and taking Myler off at half time was stupid. I can't see any player with a bit of flair getting a game under O'Neill, time to blood any youngsters we may have before the Euros commence :cry:
keeper

Postby jabra » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Yes Toss your right Roy the tea boy does'nt seem to do a lot he said a couple of days before the match he did'nt know howJeff Hendricks
injury was as he had not spoken to him about it but that he would probably be ok thats some statement for a an assistant manager on
big bucks. O'Neill got his tactics all wrong shades of Trappatoni I think.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Harjoe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 pm

I have to say everything wrong,the tactics were all wrong ,we went a goal ahead too early and nearly got a couple more and then we tried to match them giving them too much space and they took us asunder,what happened the back four who looked so good in Denmark ,they must have thought they were world beaters after Saturday ,Christe was brutal, Ward and Clark were like schoolboy players only Duffy showed anything midfield was very poor Arter ,Brady and Hendrick were they playing,Long and Holahan should have been in from the start Denmark were just too good .
I have to say standing in the centre of the pitch the singing of the National Antham was the loudest I have ever heard well done to all the fans if the players played with the same heart as the singing we would have walked the match
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

I have reluctantly come to the inclusion that O' Neill was being a little spiteful when he replaced Arter and Meyler, 2 defensive midfielders, with Mc Geady and Houlihan both in their 30's, and certainly in Mc Geady's case a long way beyond his best years just to shut up the critics who have continuously insisted that Houlihan should be always in the team. Maybe I'm being a little harsh but there is no other way I can understand such replacements at half time and we were only 2-1 down. Certainly take Arter off but Meyler as well, just makes no sense. Maybe he panicked because that seems to be the way the team play when they are at home. There is far too much fear in the team and that can only come from the manager. I know that we'll never be world beaters and we don't have many good players but lets play those we have in a way that football people can enjoy. Time for O' Neill/ Keane to go. BangHead
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm

The problem is not O'Neills or Keanes, they are just employees of an organisation that has no desire to do anyhing other than look after themselves first.
Toss

Postby Micheál » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm

I don't know anything about "the beautiful game" but . . . .

surely the fundamental problem for Ireland was, not what happened in the Aviva, but their failure to score in the first leg? It amazes me how fans who were interviewed after the first leg professed themselves pleased at a 0-0 result and looked forward to the qualifying party taking place on home soil. But by then the Danes just had to score ONCE in Dublin to win (an unfortunate stumble in the box would see to that if all else failed). It was humanly inevitable that when they did score, the Irish bubble would simply burst, heads would drop etc.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Previous

Return to GENERAL CHAT