Waspcam Monkstown 2013

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Waspcam Monkstown 2013

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 am

We have a new resident in our Bluetit nest with Nestcam...... but it's not a bluetit. It's a squatter.

We have had our nest ready for residents for months and had given up hope.
We had contemplated putting an advert in the Bluetits Gazette to say
No rent, No household charge, No LPT
First letting after complete refurbishment
Tenant must accept constant surveillance

This morning I first noticed some activity around the nest, but nothing was visible on the nestcam - not even an empty nest.
Was the camera working???..... were my connections broken???...... all checks proved positive but still no picture
Then I opened the hinged roof. This was the view I was confronted with.

Now, to put things into context, the camera as shown is less than half the size of a matchbox, and the nest under development is just a bit larger than a golfball. You can see how it has rendered the camera useless.

I'll let it run for the moment, but not too happy about the idea of a wasps nest so near the house, particularly when the grandchildren come around. Will report developments as they happen.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Waspcam Monkstown 2013

Postby jaytee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Jeez is that what it is.. a wasps nest. Its like a candy floss, they'd get in anywhere. johndllle
jaytee

Postby Micheál » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Mooney would go wild if he saw that Gulliver

Dont tell him this bit though . . .

If there's not something suitable there already, try to add a 'patio' near the door of the premises - something the'll use as a landing pad. Ideally with a rim.
Sprinkle the pad with Ant Killer. (the rim is to stop the 'answer' blowing in the wind)
They'll be gone(rs) overnight (they never wipe their waspish feet)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:31 pm

That's Jemser's lot ! They had nowhere to go after being flung out of town, they are only asylum seekers :(
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 pm

We'll contact the local asylum so.
Will they need a passport?
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Be careful though. A few years ago I opened the boiler house door and found a huge nest. I stupidly bought a spray wasp nest killer or something like that ....went into the boiler house and sprayed...the blooming thing exploded and gazillions of bees flew out...thankfully out the door but, I never saw so many in my life.... there were piles on the ground.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Rocker wrote:Be careful though. A few years ago I opened the boiler house door and found a huge nest. I stupidly bought a spray wasp nest killer or something like that ....went into the boiler house and sprayed...the blooming thing exploded and gazillions of bees flew out...thankfully out the door but, I never saw so many in my life.... there were piles on the ground.

Wow you were lucky Rocker. Those lads don't like being messed about with. Good topic! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Gulliver how long did it take them to build the nest?

I have never seen a nest like it before.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 am

Dunno, NM
I just looked yesterday morning and it was there
Like it dropped out of a spaceship...!!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Dancer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 am

WOW!! I've never seen a wasps nest before either 8-)
Did they create that white (as Jaytee said) candy floss cone ?? what is it made from?
It looks amazing but I shudder to think what might happen if a little bird flew in there to investigate :shock: :shock: :shock:
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby spudseamus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am

It's made out do digested wood ! = paper
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Jemser » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm

A few years ago I had a wasps nest in behind the fascia board on a flat roofed kitchen extension. I noticed them from the kitchen window one day and found where they were gaining access through a small gap in the fascia board, all day wasps were coming and going. There was no evidence or extra incidence inside the house but I decided to serve them with an eviction notice. So I asked around in work and sure enough a friend told me he had a problem before and had this powder type spray that would get rid of them. So I gor dressed up in overalls, hat, gloves, face net and climbed the ladder. I sprayed the entrance gap with lots of this powder and quickly went indoors, shutting the door tightly behind me and took up an observation position in the kitchen. It took about five minutes and what seemed like thousands of wasps began flying out of the gap and I never saw them agasin. I quickly filled the gap in the fascia board and all is well. So if I were you I'd tell them wasps to Buzz off.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Micheál » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Jemser,
Were they flying straight after all that "White Powder"?

All
I'm intrigued by the 'whiteness, of the nest. The ones ive come acoss in attics and other indoor area are usually grey. Ive seen white ones too, but only out of doors in hedges and ditches. Must be different breeds of wasps. It hard to imagine the same species would use different materials to suit the site.

M
Bet their site has more visitors ( this is called a sting in the tail)
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:10 pm

This is interesting. It might chase all those Wasps away. ;)

Zip Lock Bags.
We went with friends to a restaurant on Sunday for lunch and sat in the patio section beside the store. We happened to notice zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious!The owner told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! This morning I checked this out on Google.
Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer!

Zip-lock water bags: #1 Says: I tried the zip lock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer. The flies were bad while I was camping. I put the baggies with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer.The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!

#2 Says: Fill a zip lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and are threatened.

#3 Says: I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on porch and basement. We saw these in Northeast Mo. at an Amish grocery store& have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection& won't come around.

#4 Says: Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Brilliant Strum.

Ive heard of a similar trick thats supposed to deter Cats and Dogs. Fill a large plastic 7-up bottle (or similar) with water and just leave it lying on the grass. Never tried it.

I have had the experience of seeing "zillions of Disco balls" in my day but enough said. I had usually sobered up the next morning. No flies on me then.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Micheál wrote:I have had the experience of seeing "zillions of Disco balls" in my day but enough said. I had usually sobered up the next morning. No flies on me then.

M.

:lol: :lol: You must have gone to the South County too :lol:
Just as well there weren't any Waspscams there :oops:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Micheál wrote:
Ive heard of a similar trick thats supposed to deter Cats and Dogs. Fill a large plastic 7-up bottle (or similar) with water and just leave it lying on the grass. Never tried it.

Yes apparently that works well. They see their reflection, get threatened and run.
Hanging CD's from trees apparently also works.
Strum
Administrator

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.