Now and Then

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Re: Now and Then

Postby Micheál » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Finally got around to getting up the tower to capture the modern view. (Its open all week for Heritage week)

Recall this was then - a hand-coloured print based on several images taken from the top of, and the grounds, of the Martello Tower in Killiney - the site itself is actually Tara Hill, btw.

And here's the now - darn trees everywhere - (note to self: re-do in winter). Very few elements appear clearly in both shots
Killiney Obelisk
Dalkey Semaphore Station
Sorrento Terrace
House in upper left quadrant (probably near Druids Chair)
gatepost in the middle of the image (should've gone to Specsavers)

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Navanman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:18 pm

OMG It was so much nicer years ago IMHO.

Well done on the shot. Where is it taken from?

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm

Like Navanman I liked it better without the trees...but, they do give a bit of privacy. Well done Micheál. Great idea to recreate the shot.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:02 am

Navanman wrote:Where is it taken from?
NM

Top of Martello Tower in Killiney - the one down the road from Druids chair on the way to Shankill.
http://www.photopol.com/martello/no7.html
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 am

Great idea Micheál wuu ,have to agree looked much better years ago.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Good one Micheal. Perfect positioning. :D

Great reading and photos on that site too. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:18 am

Here's some excellent "Now & Then" photos (of another place) using an interesting technique - the "Then" photos are overlaid on their wider "Now" counterpart

http://online.wsj.com/articles/d-day-deja-vu-wwii-photos-from-time-of-normandy-invasion-matched-to-present-site-for-startling-comparison-1401715482#eos
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 am

Powerful shots.... was around there some years ago and these now bring home the full horror to me.That is a great project.
Thanks Micheál for posting them.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:13 am

Good one Micheál
been watching a lot of the 70th anniv. of D Day on TV.this week.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

Good ones Micheál. Looking at the captured German soldiers they could change uniforms with the British soldier and you couldn't tell the difference. They probably came from similar backgrounds with similar problems and they end up killing each other,for what.To appease a megalomaniac or maintain an empire either way I doubt that the ordinary soldier got much benefit. In my view all wars are inhuman.
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:47 am

Denis just reminded me of a true life event.....a group of 12 boys met at school and started a club. they lived in a country in central Europe. They met every day after school and carried out the most dare devil feats. The second world war broke out and times were very fraught. It wasn't until a certain dictator started to invade surrounding countries that the now young men realised they were not only friends but, that they were various religions, ethnic backgrounds,etc which hadn't mattered till then.

Decision time...the lads met and shook hands they decided no matter what happened or who went which way they would brush it all under the carpet and meet in a certain city one year after the war.

It was a tough time for everyone. Some families were rounded up and met the inevitable end some managed to escape with the help of various underground societies.Some went to the Russian front to fight. The invading armies recruited those loyal to the dictator...those not so loyal were in forced labour camps for years, some interned in U.S ...lads became men and fought the most bitter battles losing families, friends, limbs, hope.

1946 dawned and in a city in the middle of Europe the 12 older wiser, battle torn, scarred and lost limbed met. They shook hands and agreed never to discuss the horrors but, to resume their friendship and meet once a year. They did until each passed. Friendship survived the real horrors.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:23 am

Think this slots in nicely here.

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:07 am

Yep Grammer, dumbing down the masses is working bigtime now.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:55 am

Brilliantly appropriate Grammer

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:29 am

Two great photos Grammer. That top one is fascinating. It shows how important the print medium was to the Public who had very little other contact with what was going on at home and abroad. I come from a family of avid newspaper readership and heads were buried in the morning and evening papers, but, we still folded up the paper and put it away when people arrived into the house and we chatted. That bottom photo is chilling, even though those people are all together in a line they are poles apart and wrapped in their cocoons. I wonder if the next generation will remember the art of conversation????
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am

Looking at that great photo of Seapoint which is on the Portal today makes me think of Seapoint then. We headed off most days from Blackrock to Seapoint. My mother had lived for a number of years in Trafalgar Terrace and swam in Seapoint every night after work so naturally when we came along seapoint was the only place to go. Some golden rules were observed...we never went on the weekend that is when a large crowd came from Dublin and you couldn't get near the water....we always brought the bottle of milk and bits of buttered bread.....we always brought a change of clothes because we always "slipped in" when we were still in our clothes....we always dried our togs on the slopy stones or on top of the wall...Ha ha we only had one towel and everyone even the dog got dried with it :lol:

Every family had the place they liked best to sit. We always headed for the curved bit and my mother sat at the base of the slopy stones and we lay out on top of the wall or on the railway side of the wall/ Those were the days. Whenever I walk by Seapoint now I can imagine the talk and the laughter.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Similar story here Rocker and it is for me an abiding memory of my childhood and youth right up 'til I got married and moved away!
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Lovely memories Rocker. Amazing what a single photo can evoke. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Great pic and great memories folks. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Previous

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.