Camera Skills - after the click

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Camera Skills - after the click

Postby Gulliver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:02 pm

This thread is intended to deal with what you might do with your picture after you have taken it.
It is intended to complement the thread "Camera skills without photoshop", which deals with how to take a picture.

Grammar will be pleased that it is intended to keep it at a basic level.

There are 3 basic things which you might wish to do after you have taken your picture:-
(1) crop it... this is the electronic equivilant of clipping it with a scissors - you might use it to cut out unimportant parts of the picture
(2) resize it... If you want to email a stack of pictures, you can reduce the size of attachments you are sending. Your friends might nit like you if you sent huge files of pics.
(3) Adjust Brightness and Contrast

You can use Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to do these things..... or you can use any of the free photo software (e.g. Picasa), or you can use Microsoft Word or Powerpoint or many more tools to do these basic tasks. Photoshop and PaintShopPro provide a full range of tools far beyond what we might cover here.

1... Cropping a photo
Here is a photo from a bowling competition (I know it's not everyones idea of sport, but bear with it)

It's an action shot (at least the bowl is moving)
There is a lot of concrete in the background, and there is part of an opponent
And there is a lot of grass
Here is the same shot after cropping

It's a much more focussed picture. Your eye is directed to the player and the bowl and the relationship between them. And the fact that the bowl is off the ground - it should be rolling at this distance.

I crop most of my shots. To do this without loss of clarity, you must take your pictures at the highest resolution available in your camera
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Camera Skills - after the click

Postby grammer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:02 am

Great shot of the bowler and the ball in motion.
I crop most of my shots. To do this without loss of clarity, you must take your pictures at the highest resolution available in your camera

Now that I did'nt know Gulliver.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 am

Lovin' this topic already. Nice one Gulliver.

Just one thing, with such a beautiful shot, I'd love to see it with a little more green on the right - to highlight the potential of that bowl rather than appearing to have it bounce back off the frame (as it were). I don't claim this as my own idea. I read somewhere that its good to give action/motion appropriate space and this concept seems to work for me.

I'm delighted you've raise Paint Shop Pro as an alternative to Photoshop. Photoshop is so darned ubiquitous that it puts other equally good Applications in the shade. I use Photoshop for retouching & favour Picasa for cropping and red Eye Removal. For more repetitive work, I find myself reverting to an old installation of Corel Photo Paint which has a good macro function for applying same action to several photos.

Horses for courses.

M.

ps I'm off on holiers tomorrow. As a mark of respect to Grammer, I'm leaving my Canon D50 kit at home and packing my Canon IXUS 220 (in shirt pocket) and hope I can capture something worthwhile.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:44 am

Micheál,

Enjoy the holiday. Looking forward to seeing all the photos. I am loving this new subject too.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jaytee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 am

Micheál wrote:Lovin' this topic already. Nice one Gulliver.

Just one thing, with such a beautiful shot, I'd love to see it with a little more green on the right - to highlight the potential of that bowl rather than appearing to have it bounce back off the frame (as it were). I don't claim this as my own idea. I read somewhere that its good to give action/motion appropriate space and this concept seems to work for me.

I'm delighted you've raise Paint Shop Pro as an alternative to Photoshop. Photoshop is so darned ubiquitous that it puts other equally good Applications in the shade. I use Photoshop for retouching & favour Picasa for cropping and red Eye Removal. For more repetitive work, I find myself reverting to an old installation of Corel Photo Paint which has a good macro function for applying same action to several photos.

Horses for courses.

M.

ps I'm off on holiers tomorrow. As a mark of respect to Grammer, I'm leaving my Canon D50 kit at home and packing my Canon IXUS 220 (in shirt pocket) and hope I can capture something worthwhile.

Not goin to majorca with Mary & Pauline are ye ? :) :) :)
jaytee

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Jaytee

Now there's an interesting offer :)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 pm

grammer wrote:Great shot of the bowler and the ball in motion.

Now that I did'nt know Gulliver.

Well... it depends upon what you want to do with the picture. Show it on screen, email it, or print it. Cropping always reduces the resolution. In the example above, more than half of the pixels were removed by the cropping.
About resolution
Resolution is the number of pixels in the picture. It can be shown as dots per inch (DPI) or by the number of pixels on each side of the picture. The cropped picture of the bowler above is 800x600 (sized by imageshack)
If you want to show a picture on screen, then that picture has adequate resolution - it shows a large image and is clear and well defined.
If you want to print high quality pictures at that size, you need higher resolution - otherwise the print will not be as sharp as you would like.
There is a very excellent guide to resolution here http://www.urban75.org/photos/print.html
In summary, if you divide the number of pixels by 150, that will give you the maximum size of good quality print you can do. If you want excellent (professional) quality in your print, then you must divide by 300. In other words, if you were to download that picture above, the largest print of excellent quality would be less than 3"x2". (The original, still in Gullivers camera, has much higher resolution)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Navanman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:26 pm

I think lesson 1 should be don't leave your camera equipment lying around for seagulls to take.

Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Hahahahaha! I'm amazed he got his Camera back! :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:44 pm

great vid. :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Spent the whole weekend taking pics and working with them afterwards.
Compiled a photobook using Aldiphoto... It's very easy with very good software - far easier than with Blurb.com. Blurb is normally considered as the best for photobooks, but the software is very awkward to work with.

For those who have not seen a photobook, it's a full book of your photos, either laid out automatically, or custom laid out by yourself. It can include pictures at any size up to and including full 2-page spreads. It can include text. I have done my family history as a photobook of about 70 pages with full colour photos. It can be hard-cover or soft-cover, and the cover can be a set of wrap-around photo or photos. The limitation is whatever you want to pay.

My weekend photobook of the previous weekend is a 26-page book with photos of a friends birthday (a significant birthday). A total of about 45 photos including one or two 2-pagers. Cost was about €25 including postage. The book as delivered is about 10"x10". After photos had been suitably trimmed and selected, it took about an hour to create and lay out the book, including book title, title on the spine etc, and was delivered in 5 days.

It's by far the best way to keep photos that you are likely to cherish for years, and is likely to be passed on to future generations of the friend
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.