Camera Skills Without Photoshop

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Re: Camera Skills Without Photoshop

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Navanman wrote:Micheál I am really glad I mentioned it was the picture I wanted you to make bigger - sorry!

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Great Topic Michael and great reading, thanks for starting it. Now I'm still bewildered.
I'm using Farmboy's great photo as an example. Hope you don't mind Farmboy, BUT I have tried this many times with a similar Camera and same zoom lens 300, on a Tripod but whatever settings I use in manual mode, I get an orange blur or it can't even focus when there's clouds about, and yet I see many photos about the internet with the clouds around it.
My question then is what shutter speed, ISO, white balance etc etc etc because I have used them all experimenting etc...

Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 pm

Strum,
Thanks for that however It was the other picture I wanted to see bigger.

But now having seen what is in the picture I am glad I just asked could you make the picture bigger rather than say could you make it bigger.

Anyway my "joke" is lost now.

Incidentally we have no blue moon yet up here.
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:12 pm

Navanman wrote:Incidentally we have no blue moon yet up here.

That's because it's only once in a Blue Moon you see one. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Ha! Ha!
Navanman

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks Strum

Something I didnt mention in my earlier post is that Auto focus may be unreliable when trained on stuff in the night sky - so its probably best to focus manually . In the case of the Moon, infinity is pretty close - or to paraphrase Buzz Lightyear, "to Infinity but not quite"

Ive tended to leave ISO as low as possible. Although the higher you set it, the more sensitive the camera becomes and this lets you close the aperture (use less light), produce a deeper DOF (increasing your chances of the moon being within that focused band) ther'es a down side (to high ISO)- there's more 'noise' (graininess) in the final image.

I never bother much with White balance. (meaning I no little or nothing about it)

If you are using a long lens, say 300mm, Id start with ISO 100 and Shutter Speed 1/1250 . Check your histogram to see how your exposure is looking, If its skewed to the left, you've too little white light (from Moon) and you should reduce speed to let more in, maybe 1/1000 and so on. If shutter speed goes below, say 1/500, I'd stop reducing it (to avoid exposure to camera shake) and start increasing ISO instead and accept some degree of noise

Even with a tripod, shake can be problematic (at low shutter speed). The physical pressing of the shutter release (the button) can be a source of shaking. A remote control helps here.

Happy snapping.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Okay - so you never could see the moon last night with all the clouds and you're too busy to take the camera for a walk and the garden is not fit for pictures. Well then, relax , stay right where you are and visit this useful site.

Here you can mess with all the controls and see how various tweak affect your picture. No batteries required

M.

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/
Last edited by Micheál on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:34 pm

That's great Micheal, much appreciated, plenty to go on there. :D

Incidentally folks the Tripod I have is lightweight aluminium that folds into itself and is easy to get around in a backpack. It was only 19:95 in Argos a few years back. It also has a spirit level mounted into it to make sure you're level when taking shots.
I also have a plug in remote (handy for no shake as Micheal pointed out that even the touch of the button can shake the camera) and a battery operated remote one aswell.

Cool link that too Micheal. Thanks again. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Oh, by the way, if you dont want to photograph it, you can always draw it . . .

http://vimeo.com/42635813

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Printing your pictures
It's all great fun taking great pictures and showing them on screen..... but the good photographs should be printed.

Look at all the fun on this site looking at old pictures. Remember that the technology will move on, and it is likely that in 10 years, a new technology will have replaced .jpg. and it may be as difficult to look at your 2012 pictures as it is to look at a Betamax tape. Printed photos are the only medium which is suited for long-term storage.... either for your own benefit or for the benefit of future generations.

You can sometimes produce reasonable results by printing with your own ink-jet printer, but they will never compare well with those which are properly printed. And there are doubts about the long-term colour quality of the inks in such printers

Printing them in self-service booths or devices can produce reasonable results, but tend to be expensive.

Many people have favourite website-based photo processing, for example foto.com, snapfish.ie, or photobox.ie. All of these have their own online systems for uploading photos, and they are easy to use. Typical turnaround is 3 days (maybe an extra day or two from overseas suppliers). Quality of print is usually excellent.

Personally, I tend to crop most photos. Sometimes I do it to remove clutter. Sometimes I do it to direct the viewers intention more closely to the subject. Other times it just produces a more pleasing effect. This causes a problem for some print processors - if some of your pictures are square and others panoramic, for example. Should they force the picture into a standard 5" x 7" format, by enlarging/cropping.

http://www.aldiphotos.ie (as in Aldi supermarkets) is an excellent photo printer which provides the right combination of price/service for me. You can choose its classic format which crops the picture to a standard shape/size, or original format, which keeps the users format. Prices range from €0.08 for 9x13cm (3.5"x5") to €0.55 for 20x30cm (8"x12" approx), plus €1.99 for delivery (Gulliver has no connection with Aldi).

If you have a collection of good pics, then by far the best option is to do a photobook. It will ensure that your best photos are kept together. You can add text too. I have done a full family history book in this way - about 100 pages, and it worked out very well. All of the major processors offer a photobook service. Photobooks are charged by the page, regardless of whether they have 1 or 10 pictures (or none) on the page. An A4 size hardcover book of 26 pages is €27 from Aldiphotos, and €3 extra for every additional 8 pages (plus €1.99 for delivery). So a 98-page book with wraparound photos on the cover costs €55.99 including delivery. (Good price if you want one copy, but don't consider it for your best-seller biography
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 pm

great topic gang -
I have downloaded the manaul for my camera so I can try and get to grips with all this ISO and whatye may call it :D :D
so I will be reading up on the manual and reading the topic
taking photos will never be the same again. :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Very thoughtful contribution on Printing, Gulliver.

Another print option (that I've used occasionally) is our local Fuji Shop - they all have websites where you can upload your pics and drop down to collect them at your leisure. and they facilitate printing on non-paper media - canvas, t-shirts mug, etc. Just mentioning them for completeness but I think your ALDI option is more competitive.

Personally, I've lost the print habit. I now deploy a nifty Wifi photoframe that presents endless images from designated folders in my Google Account (Picasa).

I agree too with your speculation that some new technology will overtake jpg, tiff, png & the like. Its inevitable. But I would suggest
- digital storage is still the best time-proof option (witness paper Census 1911) not only for storage but also for limitless sharing.
- whatever technology emerges will only succeed if its "backwards compatible". In other words, for people to adopt it, it will have to be able to convert jpg or png to whatever new format/medium emerges.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 am

As the complete novice I am realy loving this topic. Micheál you make it so clear for the tech idiot and I am getting more confidence about taking photos. I only have the little camera since March.
Have to say that Gulliver has a point about the printed picture. My family would have been quite poor and with few possessions, definitely not a camera, but, recently I got a copy of the only photo in existance of my grandfather and grandmother from about 1920's and the utter joy of seeing their faces and the huge family likenessness. I have had it copied for every relation. As I write I realise I am surrounded by fifteen framed photos of loved ones.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Just completed my latest portfolio of photos . . .
of my unoccupied parked car that was hit by a passing vehicle so hard it moved almost a metre.
I say a passing vehicle because it did just that - passed - and kept going.
Grrrrr.

If only I could repair the pictures in photshop and somehow translate the outcome to the jalopy.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh no Micheal. What a bummer man. :roll: :|
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:09 am

Micheál,

What a dreadful thing . There are sh**s out there. I think they are on drugs. Are there any cctv cameras nearby. I'd love you to get them.
The other night I was on the Military Road at a spot where two cars can't pass and I was just about to drive onto the pavement to avoid the oncoming car, but your man coming towards me at 100 took no prisoners. He hit my wing mirror so hardit jammed into the window but didn't break off. He didn't blink!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Ahhh c'mon gang -
this is supposedly a topic on camera skills. :? :? :? :? :?
JD is right
yis are brutal......
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm

OK back on topic, I took this photo some time ago and would appreciate Micheál's "professional" opinion and comments. As well as all you learners out there like me. It was taken early in the morning with a UV filter fitted to the camera. Can't remember any shutter speeds, ISO, or F stop info.

Also I used photobucket to post this and found it much more user friendly than Imageshack.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby shelsforever » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Can't see much wrong with that shot Jemser.What is it? and where is it?
shelsforever

Postby Jemser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:35 pm

It is the Obelisk on top of Killiney Hill near Dun laoghaire, it is a popular local landmark. Really my purpose of posting this was to firstly say, as a newcomer to this posting lark, that I found Photobucket more user friendly than Imageshack. Also I neglected to mention my photographic tip. That is to get out early in the morning or late in the evening to capture more intense colours particularly in the skies. This is because the low angle of the sun to the earths surface bends the light in a less harsh way than at say noon time. Get nice intense blue skies in the morning and soft sunsets in the evening.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Nice photo Jem. That must have been quite a while back. It has been renovated since. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Strum » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Nice photo Jem. That must have been quite a while back. It has been renovated since.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Here's a different Angle from years ago and a Painting I made of it. The Painting is Sand, Glue, Wood and Acrylic. :D

Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Now that would have been a photo for "know your town do ya?"
Navanman

Postby Jemser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Strum, great juxtapositioning of photos and media. I love photos taken from unusual angles. :D
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.