Camera Skills Without Photoshop

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Re: Camera Skills Without Photoshop

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Dancer,

Just put up on somewhere to chat. HID has a tripod which he doesn't want. Free. Can meet in DunLaoghaire to pass over
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Rocker wrote:Dancer,

Just put up on somewhere to chat. HID has a tripod which he doesn't want. Free. Can meet in DunLaoghaire to pass over

hellllo Rocker , I replied to you on that thread.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Micheál » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:32 am

Rocker wrote:Dancer,

Without his Tripod, I'm guessing HID could have trouble with "Rocker" :D
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:05 pm

I need your help please. I'm having a terrible time with indoor shots without flash, I just cannot seem to get the ISO right. I go to Manual focus and the dial to M. I have an option to go between 100 and 1600 or the AWB can go from 4000 way way down to 30'' or "BuLB" (whatever that is)
I can use flash no bother but now the club has a new lighting rig and the flash negates all the colours hence manual. There is also a bit of dry ice (smoke) which doesn't help much.
In the club setting there is almost no light behind me apart from the bar if that helps.

Here's one a while back. Sorry it's huge but you see what I mean, grainy and out of focus. I had to use a lot of PS contrast to bring the shot out as it was much darker. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers. :D

q6.JPG
q6.JPG (40.62 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:03 pm

Strum wrote:I need your help please. I'm having a terrible time with indoor shots without flash, I just cannot seem to get the ISO right. I go to Manual focus and the dial to M. I have an option to go between 100 and 1600 or the AWB can go from 4000 way way down to 30'' or "BuLB" (whatever that is)
I can use flash no bother but now the club has a new lighting rig and the flash negates all the colours hence manual. There is also a bit of dry ice (smoke) which doesn't help much.
In the club setting there is almost no light behind me apart from the bar if that helps.

Here's one a while back. Sorry it's huge but you see what I mean, grainy and out of focus. I had to use a lot of PS contrast to bring the shot out as it was much darker. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers. :D

Setting the ISO to 1600 will be best for low light. Also, open the aperture as far as you can, typically 5.6. But I can't say whether that will be enough. Does your camera indicate correct exposure at all? The problem may be that even at optimum settings, there is not enough available light for the camera. At 1600, and 5.6, adjust the shutter speed to get a correct exposure. You may have to go quite low, maybe 1/15 or 1/8 of a second which will need a steady hand. This will also be a problem for a moving subject as you will get a blurry shot. But you could also under expose a bit as well. So if you can get a correct exposure at 1/15 of a second say, adjust the exposure to 1/30, 1/50 and you should be able to correct the exposure on the computer. Bulb is for long exposures and tripod only.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:11 pm

That's brilliant Ger much appreciated. Four bands tonight so I'll have to experiment a little and I'll let you how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again for taking the time. Cheers. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:21 pm

If at all possible, try to keep direct stage lights - even peripheral ones - out of the frame. They confuse the hell out of camera exposure systems. This will obviously severely limit your viewpoint and frame size but should help you better exploit Geralds sound advice.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Cheers Michael, just heading out the door now. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Incidentally, Bulb shutter setting lets you determine the start and stop of the shutter opening. You click down to open the shutter and release it to close it again ( all other settings close the shutter automatically after a set time).

As Gerald says, this is used for long exposures e.g. where the exact period might not be determinable in advance or might depend on how the scene is going to emerge. It is often used in Astro photography for capturing shooting stars or star trails.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:55 am

Micheál wrote:Incidentally, Bulb shutter setting lets you determine the start and stop of the shutter opening. You click down to open the shutter and release it to close it again ( all other settings close the shutter automatically after a set time).

As Gerald says, this is used for long exposures e.g. where the exact period might not be determinable in advance or might depend on how the scene is going to emerge. It is often used in Astro photography for capturing shooting stars or star trails.

M.

wuu wuu Thanks Micheál......good to know. wuu
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 am

Some recent photos and thanks for the great tips from Michael and Ger. Much better but still too dark, had to do some ps on them.

These guys the Acoustix were brilliant. ;)

This was taken from further back and cropped and sharpened a touch and a touch of contrast but I can never get a crispy clear shot. :roll: :|
Manual mode, not sure the settings I had because I was experimenting with a few.

mmmmm.JPG
mmmmm.JPG (37.28 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

n3.JPG
n3.JPG (64.03 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

n9.JPG
n9.JPG (5.42 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:29 pm

What ISO were you using Strum?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Micheál wrote:What ISO were you using Strum?

M.

Cheers Michael ISO was 200, WB was around 8-10 but I fiddled a bit with the white balance.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:48 am

In those conditions, Id be calling up an ISO in the region of 1200. The "noise" associated with this setting would hardly be that noticable.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Dancer » Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 pm

My Canon 40D has finally given up the ghost so I am in the market for a new camera .
I am looking at the DSLR cameras on the Canon site as I have Canon lenses so want to use them .
I'd be most grateful to all the photographer's on here if you could give your opinion
and advice as to what model to choose . I shoot mostly landscape / portrait shots but am working towards
being more creative . Anyone wanna help me choose a camera . I want to stay under €600 if possible.

Many thanks hellllo dnc1
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Strum » Sun May 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Many cameras on Adverts.ie Dancer. A friend of mine picked up a Canon 1000D for 90 quid recently. Good luck. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sun May 13, 2018 7:52 pm

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Gerald » Sun May 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Dancer wrote:My Canon 40D has finally given up the ghost so I am in the market for a new camera .
I am looking at the DSLR cameras on the Canon site as I have Canon lenses so want to use them .
I'd be most grateful to all the photographer's on here if you could give your opinion
and advice as to what model to choose . I shoot mostly landscape / portrait shots but am working towards
being more creative . Anyone wanna help me choose a camera . I want to stay under €600 if possible.

Many thanks hellllo dnc1

Try here, https://www.camera.ie/digital-cameras-d ... and_list=3
The 2000D or 4000D are within budget. You can buy with or without lenses. Plus you get full warranty buying new.

This on adverts.ie is a 60D which is 2 models on from 40D. Good shutter count, only a bit over 5000, so hardly used. As Strum says, plenty on that site to browse thru..........https://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/ ... y/14972068
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Dancer » Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 am

Wow guys , thanks for the replies . I wouldn’t know enough to buy a second hand camera
so I’ll stick with a new model . I’m going to go and compare the models suggested by you
wonderful folk , on the Canon website . I’ll let you know how I get on or come back with a shitload
of questions .....see ya later dnc1
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Dancer » Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Ok, so I'm torn between two models at the moment. The 2000D and the SX730 superzoom.
The latter appeals to me because it is much easier to carry around but it doesn't have
a viewfinder or RAW shooting . How important is the viewfinder for landscape / portrait ?
I don't want buy something that can do the same as my phone but the idea of not having to carry around a backpack
filled with lenses and accessories is somewhat appealing..................... Hellllllllllllllllllllppppp !!!!!
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Strum » Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 pm

The 2000D sounds great Dancer, wish I had the money. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 pm

So many possibilities, especially if you are also looking at compacts, etc. Best thing would be to go to a camera shop and look at a few, see how they feel in your hand. I think there are a few models I would put ahead of the 370. There are a few bridge cameras here within budget:
https://www.camera.ie/digital-cameras-dslr-mirrorless-bridge-compact-action-cam-video-camcorders/digital-cameras/bridge-cameras-super-zoom

Here's an article with an intro and a couple of the models reviewed are listed in the above link
https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/gadgets-tech/cameras-accessories/best-bridge-camera-under-250-for-wildlife-reviews-2017-a7749261.html
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Great info folks. I was surprised the prices in Argos are so high.

Ger a question please. I've made an offer on a lens, no interest in the Camera, lens only "Canon 500 film camera with 35-80mm zoom lens"
Will that lens work on my Canon Rebel, 350D? Thanks.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Strum wrote:Great info folks. I was surprised the prices in Argos are so high.

Ger a question please. I've made an offer on a lens, no interest in the Camera, lens only "Canon 500 film camera with 35-80mm zoom lens"
Will that lens work on my Canon Rebel, 350D? Thanks.

Should work fine Strum. The EF lenses used in the film cameras are compatible with DSLR's. Do bear in mind that the 350D effectively converts that lens to
55-130mm approx as it has a cropped sensor.

If I were you, I'd be plugging one of those compacts to Dancer, so you can have her lenses. ;)
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Gerald wrote: If I were you, I'd be plugging one of those compacts to Dancer, so you can have her lenses. ;)

Thanks Ger the offer was declined, apparently people are getting back into film, I like that, these apps on phones are annoying, :D 75 quid for that camera on adverts.

If I were you, I'd be plugging one of those compacts to Dancer, so you can have her lenses.

Sounds like a scene from a Bond Movie. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.