THE LAW ON PHOTOGRAPHY.

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

THE LAW ON PHOTOGRAPHY.

Postby Strum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:24 pm

THE LAW ON PHOTOGRAPHY.

1. You can make a photograph of anything and anyone on any public property, except where a specific law prohibits it.

i.e. streets, sidewalks, town squares, parks, government buildings open to the public, and public libraries.

2. You may shoot on private property if it is open to the public, but you are obligated to stop if the owner requests it.

i.e. malls, retail stores, restaurants, banks, and office building lobbies.

3. Private property owners can prevent photography ON their property, but not photography OF their property from a public location.

4. Anyone can be photographed without consent when they are in a public place unless there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

i.e. private homes, restrooms, dressing rooms, medical facilities, and phone booths.

5. Despite common misconceptions, the following subjects are almost always permissible:

* accidents, fire scenes, criminal activities
* children, celebrities, law enforcement officers
* bridges, infrastructure, transportation facilities
* residential, commercial, and industrial buildings

6. Security is rarely an acceptable reason for restricting photography.
Photographing from a public place cannot infringe on trade secrets, nor is it terrorist activity.

7. Private parties cannot detain you against your will unless a serious crime was committed in their presence. Those that do so may be subject to criminal and civil charges.

8. It is a crime for someone to threaten injury, detention, confiscation, or arrest because you are making photographs.

9. You are not obligated to provide your identity or reason for photographing unless questioned by a law enforcement officer and state law requires it.

10. Private parties have no right to confiscate your equipment without a court order. Even law enforcement officers must obtain one unless making an arrest. No one can force you to delete photos you have made.

These are my human rights by Law.
Strum
Administrator

Re: THE LAW ON PHOTOGRAPHY.

Postby keeper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks Strum ! First time I've seen it set out so clearly, very helpful.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks for this Strum - very encouraging. I was really anxious not to cause alarm or offence at that Glenageary property. I took particular care not to shoot in through windows and suchlike.

Just one thing - without meaning to dispute it - I cant help noticing that some of the phrases seem American - ("sidewalk", "washroom" and so forth.). Is this list based on US law or principles? Do all the principles apply in Ireland?

And do you happen to know of any applicable IR or EU statutes or is all this predicated on common law ?
I seem to recall that recent security-legislation has radically changed matters in the UK. I wonder has anything changed here?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Strum:

When was this law enacted and what is the Statute or SI number?

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 am

Hi All

Two interesting sites that deal with this thorny question. I offer them without any endorsment or recommendation. Frankly I have little or no expertise in this aspect of photography -

Digital Rights Ireland
http://www.digitalrights.ie/index.php?s=photography&searchbutton=Go%21

Malahide Camera Club
http://www.malahidecameraclub.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=321:where-you-can-take-a-picture&catid=24:other-news&Itemid=2
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 am

Sinead wrote:what is the Statute or SI number?

Sinead just because I said LAW you want me to go and find everything I know about the legislature that's in place? Statutes?
I have had many instances in the past with individuals when taking photos in public places and I have NEVER had hassle because I know I'm within my rights.
These are basic rights globally. Press, media etc etc etc.

Why don't YOU go and research it and come back here and refute it.

I just think you're nitpicking at my "facts" again.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am

Keep your hair on Strum and stop shouting. I just asked a question. If anyone says 'it is the law' another person is within their rights to ask for
confirmation and or source.
I was born questioning, that is how I learn, I shall go on questioning until I am dead. If people didn't have questions the internet would not be there.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 pm

I have been hanging on to this hair a long time...

Sinead, no offence meant but sometimes I think you think I make these things up.
No I don't have a direct source for this because I abridged an 80 page PDF document, (no I don't have than anymore) a few years ago into that concise bulletin list which I could print off on one A4 page, and it covers the very basics of Worldwide "law" on photography.
Sources that I CAN verify are a mate who was a Photo Journalist for Hotpress and the Irish Indo.
Also the Gardai who were baffled when I asked them to verify it, "spose so" was their response, so even they don't know. Try it, print it off and go into the station and ask them what they think and can they give you any certainties about any of it. Worth it just to see the dumb look on their faces.
These are general guidelines for global media.
Contrary to what people THINK, they are quite within their rights to do any of the activities listed as far as photography is concerned.
And what I posted should not be taken as legal advice so if anybody ever has a problem seek a solicitor.
I would be grateful if you came up with definitive sections of the law that can verify this because it still seems to be a grey area for people.
Same as copyright and they both cross over.
Strum
Administrator

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.