A blast from the past...

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

A blast from the past...

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:27 am

Ahahahaha!

M.B.L. Premier Gold Top :D

Turns out that this "Garden" job on the Northside has developed into a complete renovation of the entire house interior and exterior aswell. (looks like my own front door needs attention judging by the top photo) :D
Nobody else has been inside this house for 35 years. :shock:

Ye ain't ever seen nothing like this folks. :shock:

Anyway I found the bottle in the shed and the cap under the sink. :cool:

What were Gold Tops anyway? I remember we couldn't afford them. More creamy or something was it? Cheers!
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:12 pm

thats super -strum -talk about throwbacks -

a whole way of life has gone -and a lot of jobs -centered around those same milk bottles-is now just a memory--------
grammer

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:46 pm

now look what you've started strum
had to go out and root in the shed for these= :D :D :roll: :roll:

dublin 1988 and italia'90

grammer

Postby jordo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Gawd, it's a life time since we saw milk bottles in here. I think they are afraid to leave too much ammunition out for the heads :D
jordo

Postby Harjoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:32 pm

Great photos Strum
God be with the days when there was five or six of those bottles outside each door on the street from all the daries
You have Merville, Dublin Dairies , Hughes , T E K , eteetc
And Grammer My two milk bottles from 1988 and Itilia 90 were converted into Lamps

Sorry I hav'nt posted for a while but I have been struggling withmy new scanner my old one broke and I got a new one for les than the price of repairs to the other one
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby KellyKid » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:11 pm

My father worked for Premier Dairies in Monkstown and then went on to be a self employed distributor. I used work there every school holidays from the age of 10 onwards and actually delivered milk from a horse and cart "Cinders" was the horses name and she was stabled down beside the TEK football pitch opposite Rockford Park. We then went on to use the three wheeled electric float, then the electric four wheeled "cab-back". I remember when I first started I used meet George Sutton in the mornings and he would quiz me about who I was, what I was doing in the yard, who was my father etc etc. When I turned 16 I was able to work as "part-time casual" directly for the dairy - this meant I was paid by the Dairy and not the old man. I used get £3.00 punts a morning regardless of how many hours we worked and I used work 7 mornings - £21.00 for the week and I had to hand some of that up at home too. There was some amount of characters working in the place, The Turners, "Nagser" Kelly, Alan Byrne, Giblets, Gooley, Jack Mernagh, Killer Fagan, are just some that spring to mind. I eventually left there to work in McCulloghs in Dun Laoghaire - £7.00 a day - in out of the weather and no auld wans complaining about the birds pecking the milk .....happy days
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
KellyKid

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 pm

welcome back Harjoe you were badly missed :D :D :D

KK wrote:
no auld wans complaining about the birds pecking the milk .....happy days

:D :D :D
remember you could buy little plastic caps to have left over the bottles
to stop the birds----
grammer

Postby Harjoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:23 pm

One of the thing about T E K was that a lot of the lads who played football for the team got jobs as milkmen in the dairy the Turner brothers , Eamon ,Joey ,and Jim , Gooly Gallaher, Eamon ( Mousey)Walsh ,Richie Whelan,
Dublin Dairies had their depot in Mountown beside the Mart Shop
and of course you also had Mick Lawlor in Monkstown who went around many years before with the milk churns on his cart and you went out with your silver milk jug and he would turn on the tap and fill the jug.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Re: A blast from the past...

Postby Snowhite » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:14 am

Strum wrote:Image

Ah jeez it just goes to show ye the things that bring ye back in time :razz: I remember when my dad was growing vegetable's in our back garden we collected the lids from the bottles for weeks and then thread them on to some twine to string across the newly grow shoots to keep the birds away. :cool: :D
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby spudseamus » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 pm

and now the young wans use cd's to do the same thing ;-)
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Hi

Postby Maria Little » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to this and was wondering if anyone could help me? My dad is from Deansgrange and is interested in any old photographs that people have up. How do i browse for old photos? Sorry, i know it's probably a silly question but can't seem to work this at all. thanks
Maria Little

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Maria and welcome to the site.
There are numerous forums here with old photos...I'll post some links here for you. :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Maria and welcome to the site. Hope you and your dad enjoy the photos. :D
jordo

Postby grammer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:20 pm

welcome Maria------- :party: :party:
grammer

Postby enviro500 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Kellykid,

I just picked up your June 5th posting reference "milkmanning days".You didn't mention me and Liam Roberts, Liam was also a self employed 'agent' for Merville Dairies not too many seen Southside as it was Finglas based... Sunny Connolly was also an 'Agent' for Suttons or Tel el Kebir Diaries..I statred with aLiam Summers Holidays 1958 when I was just ten and stayed with Liam, all holidays, Weekends 6years till I started my apprecticeship. I remember Peter turner Suttons, Plum Pearse with HB Seani Wallace also wth HB .In Mounttown there was two other Diary companies depots approx where McCormicks Pub is. One was Dublin Dairies and the other was Lucan Dairies. Lucan were horsedrawn with Carts that resembled Chariots, single axle affairs. Suttons were two axle larger carts and the HB, and Dublin Dairies were conventional Morris/AustinCommer/ Ford types Liam had Morris J4 types then went to new Ford Thames 800..flatbeds...Funny wipers were standard, air operated the quicker you went the slowere the wipers went, worked off the engine air vacuum... odd things indeed

I am sure we banged crates together...Incidently our milk in Buckinghamshire is to this day delivered in glass bottles!!!
Envir0500
enviro500

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Enviro, I had milk round job before school in the 60's. I did it because I loved the horse
(wow I just smelt the dairy truck writing this) but the driver always gave me dairy freebies and enough to buy a Trigger bar! (Horse, Trigger haha)
This mans Milk round was Royal tce, Crostwaite park, areas...
Any idea who he might have been? I'd imagine about year 67/ 68?
Was it you man??? :shock: That would be something else if it was???
Anyway who ever he was, was a lovely gentle man, who loved that Horse to bits aswell. :cool:
My fondest memories they are. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby enviro500 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Strum,

Sadly not, ours was a Ford Thames flatbed. I finished when I was 16 in 1964 and because Liam was ' an agent' our round was 56 crates of milk, bloody large and started in Stradbrook a lot of Monkstown village and environs, Monstwn Farm /Kill/Dun Laoghaire Hamiltons Ckes shop with soured milk, cream etc/ Ross's Hotel,/ Railway Station Shop old Lil Whelan there/ a few in the Noggin/ Clarinda/ Croswaithe/ Sandycove inc Michaels Scotts house/ He told me once that he designed the house to resemble a ships bridge, lovely man too/Then Dalkey/Glenageary and our big deliverty to the Barnhill Stores owned by the O'Shea family who built many houses in the area late 1950s 60s Tim O'Shea being the patriach... Your man was possibly a Suttons T.E.K man, one of the Gregorys or Bergin boys
Enviro
enviro500

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:39 pm

Yes Suttons.
Strum
Administrator

Postby FLATLAD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:24 am

Vaguely remeber Dublin Daries - it became Mc Cormick parking lot i think. Lucan closed must ahve been around 69' or 70' ? we found a dead horse in there after they left - after it rotted to skelatal remains the place was gradually "dismatled"

I used to do a milk round meself before school (out of sutons / premier) - I only remember the milkmans first name "Mick" and his horse "Sally" who used to try to bite me. And she farted something rotten LOL - Mick would never let me work if I was on the hop from school - but there was a another fell who would, can't remember his name tho' dark hair slicked back and he liked to stand on the wagon and make the horse gallop back to to the dairy, I had to hold on for dear life.

My favoite - Jersey milk with the green cap
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Remember the Millenium Clock???
The one that didn't work and they had to scap it before the year 2000?
It was in the Liffey submerged but I think it kept sinking?
Anyway here's my postcard souvenir! :D:D:D

Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:22 pm

hahahahaaa good one strum
was'nt it nicknamed" the chime in the slime " by the usual dublinese wits :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer

Postby grammer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 pm

does any one remember what a gladdle was or is --
I remember when I was young you'd hear someone say -its broken -its the gladdle -thats the problem ??????

gonna google it and see what comes up ?????
grammer

Gladdle

Postby brandy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Ye
It"s the thing a magig, that goes around the thing a mabob, that makes that yoke turn :woot: :woot: :wtf:
brandy

Postby grammer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 pm

haaa thanks brandy-I thought it was thethingamyjig that linked to the oval shaped whatchamaycalit :roll: :roll:
it just goes to show as you live you learn ;-)
grammer

Next

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.