A blast from the past...

If your photos or images do not fit into a specific catagory, please post them here.

Re: A blast from the past...

Postby Bicycle Bill » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Well Where did that go,, I just typed a big one and it disappeard....

Well Our Milk came from cows, remember Johnny Lawlor,, down the lane in Monkstown, beside the church. at our old school. Miss Ward, Mrs Moore, Mrs Gassparrow...AHHHH

And Mr Healy the Cobbler, he also had a littleshop in the lane, he was from the Farm I think Oliver Plunett Ave,,

What about Hewetts Shop :?: :o The match box shop, wherebold boys would steal the toys.......and the church accross the road...... :twisted:
Bicycle Bill

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 am

Bicycle Bill wrote:Well Where did that go,, I just typed a big one and it disappeard....

If that happens again BB, use the EDIT at the top left and then UNDO.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Chiropodist » Sun May 16, 2010 11:36 am

I learned to read by trying to read the labels on the milk bottles of that time. We used Lucian Dairies milk and I got to know the logo off by heart or nearly. Lucan Dairies,Finglas No 9, cleanliness and purity.Does anyone remember the drink called Vimto which was very popular in those days together with Gur Cake. !
Chiro
Chiropodist

Postby Chiropodist » Sun May 16, 2010 11:42 am

There was a family called Gasparo who lived in Glasthule on he main road up above "Da" Robinsons. They were thought of as Italians and one of them could make an accordion talk. ! It was also said that the made their own "Hooch".
Chiro
Chiropodist

Postby Micheál » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 am

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 am

For some reason the Irish Times site freezes my computer and I have to turn it off scry .Is this your man who used to take the photos on O'Connell Street. These are the only photos we have of various family 'cause we didn't have a camera and relied on relations visiting from England to take photos..sounds unbelievable now!!

The late Chiro mentioned Gasparro family in Glasthule. i remember Tony Gasparro who went to school with us and lived on the Monkstown Road at Temple Hill opposite the U need shop.

Another blast from the past..I met a lady in the Farm yesterday and she was telling me that there would be some celebrations next year to mark the 60 years of the statue. Hard to believe where all those years have gone.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby bugrock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 am

That was on of the great post I've enjoyed, and looking forward to more of The Man On The Bridge. :D :D :D
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Rocker wrote: i remember Tony Gasparro who went to school with us and lived on the Monkstown Road at Temple Hill opposite the U need shop.

I went to school with the younger brother Rocker. His name escapes me right now. I think they owned the corner shop beside the car park in Glasthule. Butchers? That was late 60's - early 70's. They must have moved then or maybe a different family altogether but related?

That was great Micheal, great find. I remember him well. I used to have one of his photos taken under Cleary's Clock on O'Connell St with one of my first girlfriends wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:42 pm

I remember a Nicholas Gasparro, Strum. I thought the shop that they had was between Burdett Avenue and Ballygihen Avenue.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby jwdalk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 pm

skins wrote:I remember a Nicholas Gasparro, Strum. I thought the shop that they had was between Burdett Avenue and Ballygihen Avenue.
hop

You're right Skins. The Gasparros had a grocery shop between the Spar and Eamonn's Bookshop in Sandycove. They lived across the road beside Fitzgeralds. I still see Brendan Gasparro around. Maybe some relations had a shop in Monkstown?
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Yeah. thought so, thanks JW.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 pm

jwdalk wrote:
skins wrote:The Gasparros had a grocery shop between the Spar and Eamonn's Bookshop in Sandycove. They lived across the road beside Fitzgeralds. I still see Brendan Gasparro around. Maybe some relations had a shop in Monkstown?

Sorry that's it. The O' Briens owned the block beside the carpark. Any idea of the youngest sons name?
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 pm

No, sorry Strum, Nicholas is the only one I remember.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Remember the Man on the Bridge well, have several photos taken by him somewhere in a box !!!
I played football with one of the Gasparros, we were on a club tour in 1979 to Germany and a trip on a cruise boat was arranged on the Rhine, it was a public holiday and the boat was packed very merry day trip Bavarians, mind you we were a little merry ourselves, anyway they a had accordions with them and the craic was mighty, we knew Gasparro (sorry, can't remember his first name) played the accordion and prevailed on the Germans to let him play, they did, even we were left open mouthed, we had no idea he was so good, he was brilliant, and to the Germans surprise he could play all their tunes as well !! I know he lived nearly opposite Fitzgerald's pub.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sputnik » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 am

Youngest Gasparro son was Colm (about 55 now). He had a silver front tooth. His brother Declan was about a year older. I went through school with Colm and later worked with him..
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am

That explains it, the Monkstown gang must have been relations of them because I think there was only Tony and maybe two others. Funny how a name evokes memories,this fellow would be about 63 and was in the crowd my brother palled with. I remember him as great sport.

I watch the children in this estate and they go about ignoring each other, can't understand that...when we were small we played with anyone with two legs and whether we like or loathed them they were in the gang. we ran from house to house with swaps and once anyone went out with a ball there was two teams and a field of supporters in a few minutes.You never had a minute to be bored.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 am

I'm posting this for somebody not on the site.
Do any of you recognise these Girls. Mid 70's. Photo say's D/L but that terrace doesn't look familiar from the town.
Looks more like the Farm maybe. :?: :?: :?:

Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 am

Just sent you a pm on FB about this photo, it was posted on here awhile back but for the life of me I cant think who it was. I know the girls in it and it was taken in St Patrick Cresent, Monkstown Farm.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Snowhite » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 am

Snowhite

Postby Strum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks Snowy. Should I mention the names on FB then after the query from somebody?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:47 am

No I dont think they'd be that pleased about it, I know one of them wasn't happy about it being put on here at the time, dontknow
Snowhite

Postby Strum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 am

No worries. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sparrow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm

keeper wrote:Remember the Man on the Bridge well, have several photos taken by him somewhere in a box !!!
I played football with one of the Gasparros, we were on a club tour in 1979 to Germany and a trip on a cruise boat was arranged on the Rhine, it was a public holiday and the boat was packed very merry day trip Bavarians, mind you we were a little merry ourselves, anyway they a had accordions with them and the craic was mighty, we knew Gasparro (sorry, can't remember his first name) played the accordion and prevailed on the Germans to let him play, they did, even we were left open mouthed, we had no idea he was so good, he was brilliant, and to the Germans surprise he could play all their tunes as well !! I know he lived nearly opposite Fitzgerald's pub.

I remember the trip well and I did blast a few tunes out I cant beleive someone remembers. This was a pretty famous trip as I remember we met Pele on the plane and a certain Paul Mc Grath was playing on the Dalkey team, great times great trip.
Sparrow

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome to the site Sparrow,

Don't be surprised what we remember. We will be looking to you to tell us loads of stories.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Welcome Sparrow. I think I was in Pres with you. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to ALL PHOTOGRAPHS.