Kingstown

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Kingstown

Postby jordo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:13 pm

This photo is taken from the 17th July 1937 edition of the Irish Press of a building just before it was demolished that had a 300 year long association with the town. There is a fairly long article attached to it and I will type it out and post it tomorrow.

Anyone care to guess where it was.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 pm

No idea Jordo but the top of it looks just like Fitzpatricks hotel, same sort of style.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby grammer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am

good one jordo no idea -really but a mad guess-
part of the old Salthill hotel??????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
Moaner

Postby jordo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Ahhhh, me aul two reliables :D

I think the photo is a first on the Site and although I read of the buildings existance in many books about the Town it is the first time I saw a photo of it.

Here's the article.

300 – Years – Old Dun Laoghaire Landmark

(IRISH PRESS Special)

Dun Laoghaire, creating a new outlet to the main road in furthering its town – planning scheme, is to forfeit its most historic landmark.

Corrig Castle, the town’s oldest building, which, tradition says, is one of the ancestral halls of the Dukes of Northumberland, and where, on the night of March 24th, 1688, James II slept, when he arrived from Kinsale to begin his war against William III of Orange, is to make way for the new housing plans.

The extending of Northumberland Avenue to the Corrig Road will result in the razing of the 300 – year – old castellated keep, standing eerily against the sky on the most dominant position above the seaport.
Down in one of its cellars a rock juts up through the floor, the highest rock on the hill to the west of Dun Laoghaire.

TUNNEL TO THE SEA.

From these cellars winds an underground tunnel , leading, the people say. “somewhere to the sea”
I verified the existence of this passage yesterday, writes an IRISH PRESS reporter, when, through an old doorway, I was led through a crazily built dark tunnel that wound downwards beneath the castle.
Some scores of feet below the building it resolves itself into several passages. No one of Dun Laoghaire’s inhabitants has ever ventured further than this junction.
Torches and maps would be necessary, my guide stated.
The present owners of the castle are Lord Longford and Lord de Vesci, who have arranged with the Town Planning Committee regarding its short future.
In the offices of Messrs J. and R. Stewart, agents for the property, I was shown a latter seventeenth century map of dun Laoghaire, on which Corrig Castle is the building marked.
Very Rev. Herbert Brownlow Kennedy, Dean, was the last resident of the castle. It was used as a Red Cross Hospital during the Great War.
Dean Kennedy, who was then Chaplain to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and Minister of Mariner’s Church, Dun Laoghaire, and who was later Canon and Chancellor of Christ Church Cathedral, lived in the castle for 16 years.
He told me he had vainly endeavoured, for many years, to obtain the definite history of place. The belief was that it was built for the Dukes of Northumberland, he said, is strengthened by the fact that various street- names surrounding it are called after the family.

JAMES'S VISIT

An old tablet which was attached to the wall of one of the spacious rooms, stating that King James of Scotland, Ireland and England, had slept there, is now vanished, only the mark of its attachment remaining.
The Northumberlands, whose family name was Fitzroy, were, according to the histories of the Peerage, of the Catholic Faith and stalwart supporters of the Stuart cause.
They took part in the wars for the enthronement of Mary, Queen of Scots, and in later years, after much persecution on the part of Elizabeth and the Tudors, they aided James against William.
George Fitzroy was created Duke of Northumberland in 1683, and King James, lavish with titles for his supporters, made him Baron Pontefract and Viscount Falmouth.
He asked from England when the Orangeites gained control and is then said to have come to Ireland where he waited to carry on the campaign.
By a curious coincidence, it is related that he was created “Gentleman of the bedchamber” in 1688, the year in which it is said King James stayed in Corrig Castle.
The castle with its huge bulk completely bars the way between Northumberland Avenue and the main (Corrig) Road.
The demolition will be given in private contract. Modern dwellings will cover the site and the secret of the tunnel will never be known.
jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby Holla » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Well i would never have got that a great bit of local history
very intersting . keep up the good work
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Brilliant Jordo. Now that clarifies a lot for me. I remembered some story from my childhood that a famous landmak had existed behind the House
I grew up, in Corrig Park, and I always thought it was the site of the original Dun/Fort but Sputnik put me right on that one a while back.
So that's what it was, Corrig Castle. (obvious now, Corrig Pk, Corrig Ave, Corrig Rd,)
It is the highest point in the town before Sallynoggin and would have been the perfect vantage point to observe the Town and Bay.
Very rare photo I reckon.

Cheers Jordo. :D

The laneway to the site from Northumberland Ave.

Image Image
The best cure for Sea sickness, is to sit under a Tree.
Strum
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Northumberland Park now stands on the site of Corrig Castle Terrace. The Terrace had five or six houses each of which were in flats, the people were all housed in Sallynoggin when it was built. People I remember living in the Terrace were Kavanaghs, Argues, Handys Kenifix. In front of the Terrace was a large green with hugh trees, playing in the area was just great, lots of places to hide, play rounders, climb etc. Corrig Park (I think built by Cooneys) is also built on some of the Castle land. The cut shown in the photo was created for people walking from Dun Laoghaire to Sallynoggin.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby grammer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:41 am

great info re the castle ------jordo/Strum/Sinead
is'nt it a pity the tunnells were filled in /buried -what secrets would have been revealed -
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
Moaner

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:18 am

Great info folks,I remember the Cut very well,use to use it when going to the St. John Bosco's in Crosthwaite Park.
Last edited by Denis Cromie on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby jordo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:00 pm

I think this is a new one?

jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Its certainly new to me Jordo and a great photo it is too, great find. ;)
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby johndle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Jayus DC will go mad when He sees all that Smoke
His poor Ozone Hole will get Bigger
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But a Fabulous Pic Jordo
johndle
Grumpy Biker!

Postby jordo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:02 pm

HAHAHA, BRILLIANT Johndle, yer best yet :D :D :D
jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Good one Jordo,brings back great memories. :D :D
Denis Cromie

Postby grammer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 pm

JD --brilliant
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thats a new one alright jordo -great find
grammer
Moaner

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Great photo Jordo, Nothing like a Steam loco..it is living !!!!!
Enviro500
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 pm

A couple of newones I think !!!

grammer
Moaner

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Great pics Grammer. :D :D
Denis Cromie

Postby Strum » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Kingstown? :P
The best cure for Sea sickness, is to sit under a Tree.
Strum
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Great pictures, I have just re read some of this thread, I love your picture of the train from DWWR. I recently found out that my grandfather worked for this company. In the 1911 Census he is recorded in Dun Laoghaire, he completed the form, and he is also recorded in his Wicklow lodgings along with other railway men.
The Cross is still to be found in the Main Street in Blackrock.

Thanks Grammer
Sinead

Postby farmboy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Love the pics Grammer. ;)
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Guys/girls

Looking at the Kingstown pictures, I notice that two churches do not have Spires, Blackrock and Glasthule, both Roman Catholic and all built Victorian era..any reason.. perhaps run out of money maybe?

Enviro
Enviro500
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Mariner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 am

Enviro500 wrote:Guys/girls

Looking at the Kingstown pictures, I notice that two churches do not have Spires, Blackrock and Glasthule, both Roman Catholic and all built Victorian era..any reason.. perhaps run out of money maybe?

Enviro

Interesting - no idea

when Mariners was built it didn't have a spire either
they only built it after Michaels was built with a spire
Mariner
Stellar Member

Postby spudseamus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 am

wouldnt have anytin to do wit "mine is bigger dan yours" :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Re:

Postby *stargazer* » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm

jordo wrote:A couple more of the old town, the second one is the best I've seen of Gresham Terrace

The cabbie in that picture could be my grandfather or granduncle...what year was it taken, do u know? and where did the pic come from?
Do any of the Keegan clan know anything about it? They lived in 51 Patrick Street and the stable for the cab and horse was at the back of the house accessed from I think Tivoli Road. I have a memory of a white horse in the stable. I know there is a pic of my grandad in the Peter Pearson Book but I hadn't seen this one before. Funny thing, the family are still picking up fares on Marine Road...history repeating !!!!
"It does not take many words to speak the truth"
Heinmot Tooyalaket (Chief Joseph) of the Nez Perce Native Americans
*stargazer*

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE