Kingstown

The Town and its People past and present...

Kingstown

Postby jordo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:04 am

Canon Murphy. I think this is the man Mr Merrigan mentioned in his article on renaming the town's streets?

The next three are of someone arriving at and leaving the Harbour.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image
[/URL] Image

This one is of a very large funeral and I would love to know what it is. The police are wearing the London Bobby type helmets. Two of the lads have made suggestions but I will leave it open for the moment and see if anymore in.
jordo

Postby grammer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 am

hi jordo they are super ----

they are really old ones

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
grammer

Postby St Columba » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:37 am

I suspect the arrival/departure at the harbour is the Papal Legate - here in 1932 for the 31st International Eucharistic Conference.

I can't remember saying anything about a Canon Murphy? Unless I have it wrong and you're talking of a different Mr Merrigan!
St Columba

Re: Kingstown ?

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Wow that reminds me of Sunday afternoons when the pier would be packed with people waving at the Mail boat.... Great photos.
Ah, you're a mine of info Justin. :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:37 pm

yes strum
twenty to nine the mailer went out and during the summer evenings we'd be down the east pier waving like we knew everyone on the boat
and the pier would be packed -like the crowds in the old photo

ahhhhh the old innocent days of youth :cry: :cry: :cry: ;-) ;-)
grammer

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Brill photos Jordo, where did you find them?

:D Toby
Toby
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby jordo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Chiropodist mentionedd the Papal Nuncio Visit in 1932. On the radio recently there was talk about a second visit in 2012 and it was asked whether it would attract the same crowds? Certaintly the same amount of effort could never be repeated as these photos might show. I don't know how some of them will turn out as they seem to be photos of photos. I also had to take them off a C D so fingers crossed.

First one the Victoria Monument. It seemed to be a bright enough day, can't understand all the umbrellas!

The arrival at Dun Laoghaire

This is on the Merrion Road, the two towers were built to represent the 'City Gates'

jordo

Postby Strum » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Wow amazing photos Jordo...couldn't resist enlarging the one below. A squadron of bi-planes over the lighthouse. That's just class! :cool:
Where on Merrion rd were the towers built I wonder?

This would make a great poster! :cool:

(in the smaller one above, the marks look like they're dropping bombs on the Harbour!) :cool:

Strum
Administrator

Postby enviro500 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:01 pm

I wonder if the turnout will be as huge as the 1932 Eucharistic Congress, somehow I think not.... Different times different thinking.

Regards the Garda wearing "Bobby" style helmets. I think this was a carry over from the old "DMP" days until the advent of the Free State in 1922. The DMP or Dublin Metropolitan Police, if you like were different from the R.I.C (Royal Irish Constabulary) in two ways, the R.I.C by and large were Provincial Police and looked after the cities of Cork, Belfast, Limercik, Waterford, Galway.
In addition the Dublin Met guys had to be 6 ft tall minimum whereas the R.I.C were 5ft 10in. regulation.
I can actually remember a ruddy faced police officer regularly directing traffic at Marine Rd, before the lights, as a very youg boy of three or four. The Officer on point duty outside Trinity also had a 'Helmet'. They also had the tunics done up to the neck covering shirt, ties etc, all very formal then.
Great pictures of Kingstown or DUN LOAGHAIRE in the 1932 period, I wonder how many in the photos were our grandparents, uncles etc.. If only we could recognise them. Incidently my Ma was ten in 1932 and she went with the school (Domo Convent) to welcome the Papist Legate...
76 years ago eh... eh it does bring it home when one counts the years!!!
Enviro500
enviro500

Postby jordo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Strum, you did a great job. Just been talking to my brother and he thinks the Merrion Road photo was taken the city side of Booterstown?
jordo

Postby Snowhite » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Jeez they are fab Photo's Jordo. ;-)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby jordo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks Snowhite, this is the last one that I can definitely identify as coming from that time.
It is the 'final blessing' on O'Connel Bridge. If it turns out small like the others I hope Strum enlarges it because the amount of people up O'Connel Street and the Quays is unbelieveable.

jordo

Postby ted » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:59 am

ted

Postby jordo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks Ted, really a great job.
Last edited by jordo on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jordo

Postby Snowhite » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Wow! there are some amount of people at that. :cool:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby grammer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm

hey thats agood one jordo
grammer

Postby farmboy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:36 pm

They are just great photos. I was only the other day looking at that altar or is it alter??? :roll: Jeez, I,ve confused meself now! :D The altar or alter ...no, it is altar, well its up at Cappagh hospital and I posted a pic of it a long time ago. I think I deleted the pics of it from my hard drive.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:56 pm

A face in the crowd. :shock:
Jayzez Grammer they've been here quite a while...

Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Spooky Strum, real spooky! :shock:
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Yeah weird. The only one looking at the camera...those eyes? :shock:
Strum
Administrator

Priest

Postby Chiropodist » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:24 pm

I do believe I have seen this Canon Murphy while growing up in DunLaoghaire. I dont remember the planes though or the crowds on the pier. Gerat photos though and revoke many happy memories. Thank you for them.
Chiropodist

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:36 pm

hahahahaha

sorry strum ive only seen it now

A face in the crowd. -brill :D :D
grammer

Re: Priest

Postby jordo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:04 am

Chiropodist wrote:I do believe I have seen this Canon Murphy while growing up in DunLaoghaire. I dont remember the planes though or the crowds on the pier. Gerat photos though and revoke many happy memories. Thank you for them.

Glad you liked the photos Chiropodist. The one of the funeral on Marine Road is still causing me problems I have checked the Irish Times site with no luck. One of the members said it might be that of John McCormick. If I could put a year on it it would help to narrow it down.
jordo

Postby farmboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:48 pm

farmboy wrote:They are just great photos. I was only the other day looking at that altar or is it alter??? :roll: Jeez, I,ve confused meself now! :D The altar or alter ...no, it is altar, well its up at Cappagh hospital and I posted a pic of it a long time ago. I think I deleted the pics of it from my hard drive.

I did delete the pic I had and I was in Cappagh hospital last week so took this one of the altar from the Eucharistic Congress.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 pm

farmboy
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE