Harbour through the Years

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Harbour through the Years

Postby Strum » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Walked the pier last night and then again tonight weather just fab and the amount of people all along the seafront, great to see. Was gob smacked tonight though to see the amount of rubbish around the pier, I thought it was bad last night but I couldn't believe the state of it tonight..........Disgusting.... bins were overflowing rubbish all over the place, they need more bins down there and for them to be emptied on a regular basis, also along the pier there are free poop bags for dogs but still these so called animal lovers still let their dogs crap all over the place....ffs, if I had my way there would be a dog warden and if your dog poops and you don't pick it up it would be a 100e on the spot fine. :evil: :evil:

But on the upside I got to hold this on the Pier last night

The Sam McGuire Cup :P wuu

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:30 am

Just passed Dún Laoghaire on the DART a few times yesterday and the crowds were a joy to behold. Seapoint was like old times with the amount of people in the water and as for Killiney it was jammers. As you say Snowy the bins are not being emptied quick enough and then you have the gobbaloons who don't think bins are for them and just throw the stuff inches from the bin.It is becoming a very "someone else will do it" society. Last night coming up from Killiney station there were empty drinks boxes just strewn along the road and there are two bins within easy reach.

Have to say the sun seems to drive the average person mad. The usual mess out our way with people parking and double parking so residents cant get in or out of their houses and blocking roadways and lanes so that an ambulance (if it was needed) could not get access.

Don't start me on doggy do......

The Sam Maguire looks great. Lucky you to get your hands on it.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Snowhite » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Well the Bin situation by the pier even got a mention on Joe Duffy today, seems I wasn't the only one that was disgusted with it, no need for it to be like that in this day and age............cutbacks :roll: :roll: :roll:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby cambria49 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:44 am

I think what we're seeing is the result of the loss of income of having a regular shipping service in the harbour. No income, cut costs, reduce staff. All those who protest against the provision of cruise facilities need to understand that the port needs revenue to survive. Income from marine leisure is simply not enough to maintain the harbour in the way it was in the ferry years.
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Fully agree with the sentiments of the previous post. When will PBP ever wake up to the fact that
Cruise ships generate business locally. Was in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and it was full of people
of the Celebrity ship. Pity Dun Laoghaire is so down at heel for their arrival.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 pm

Sinead wrote:Fully agree with the sentiments of the previous post. When will PBP ever wake up to the fact that
Cruise ships generate business locally. Was in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and it was full of people
of the Celebrity ship. Pity Dun Laoghaire is so down at heel for their arrival.

Sinéad

Probably need it to fund the €248,000 that is paid to golden circle in the Harbours Board of Management as of 2014, see page 26 of 37 =

http://dlharbour.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Dun-Laoghaire-Harbour-Company-Financial-Statements-2014.pdf

nice money if you can get it :(
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby gingertom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 pm

It must be noted that the Green Party appear to have a problem with the arrival of these huge ships too. The issue is that Dublin port may be too close to secure another ferry company to sail the Irish sea as a transporter of cars and people to the UK. Again i would mention Brexit as a possible interfering entity in terms of the disembarkation of tourists into this jurisdiction...maybe or not. Will the tourists avail of what Dun Laoghaire has to offer? i would like to think so. We have a lot of history to be listened to but most of these holidaymakers want entertainment of a lighter kind and I fear that they would merely jump on a bus into Dublin or travel on to Glendalough by bus. Why? For example, there isn't any late night venue in DunLaoghaire to even entice them from their comfortable vessel. Unfortunately, there are too many attractions outside of Dun Laoghaire that are widely publicised and visited. Instead of the monies being paid to directors in this state company, they should be culled and the resultant savings should go to aid programmes which assist entrepreneurs in creating "start ups", to make the town an interesting and tourist friendly venue, enticingly attractive to the tourist to visit and spend. I think that as it stands,I hate to say this, but Dun Laoghaire does not have the full range of attractions to entice these tourist off the ship to spend their money in the way the town needs to proliferate and grow. The businesses need help to attract them.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 pm

gingertom wrote:It must be noted that the Green Party appear to have a problem with the arrival of these huge ships too. The issue is that Dublin port may be too close to secure another ferry company to sail the Irish sea as a transporter of cars and people to the UK. Again i would mention Brexit as a possible interfering entity in terms of the disembarkation of tourists into this jurisdiction...maybe or not. Will the tourists avail of what Dun Laoghaire has to offer? i would like to think so. We have a lot of history to be listened to but most of these holidaymakers want entertainment of a lighter kind and I fear that they would merely jump on a bus into Dublin or travel on to Glendalough by bus. Why? For example, there isn't any late night venue in DunLaoghaire to even entice them from their comfortable vessel. Unfortunately, there are too many attractions outside of Dun Laoghaire that are widely publicised and visited. Instead of the monies being paid to directors in this state company, they should be culled and the resultant savings should go to aid programmes which assist entrepreneurs in creating "start ups", to make the town an interesting and tourist friendly venue, enticingly attractive to the tourist to visit and spend. I think that as it stands,I hate to say this, but Dun Laoghaire does not have the full range of attractions to entice these tourist off the ship to spend their money in the way the town needs to proliferate and grow. The businesses need help to attract them.

Well said and lets not hide away from the fact that those directors are possibly on more than one board (I say possibly, but ...I would wager they are on more than two or three).... profits before people ??? possibly but not enough people want to go there so lets say nothing :roll:

Sadly there is NO motivation to change the status quo in Dun Laoghaire ....... same clique operate across the boards and thinking outside the box is not allowed unless it promotes their self interests. Think about it, if a person has an out of town business, why would they promote visitors staying in town?

Personally speaking, I would suggest Dun Laoghaire needs to purge itself of vested business interests and money orientated overlords.... start afresh with free parking (loads), more open markets, artisan butchers/bakers etc, rickshaws, art promotion zones, gardai on the beat, festivals and a ban on DLRCCs top administrators being paid over €65k p/a :twisted:
Toss

Postby gingertom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Toss, look at the way the wonderful market on Sundays takes place in the Peoples Park. These entrepreneurs should be encouraged do regular business in the many vacant structures around the town. The Council and Councillors should be innovative and lobby central government to provide a nationwide programme to incentivise good business ideas.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 pm

gingertom wrote:Toss, look at the way the wonderful market on Sundays takes place in the Peoples Park. These entrepreneurs should be encouraged do regular business in the many vacant structures around the town. The Council and Councillors should be innovative and lobby central government to provide a nationwide programme to incentivise good business ideas.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda ................................. your last line will never happen, there is no incentive for it as the sheeple vote in the same dynasties on the basis of party politics and too many of those elected are only interested in self preservation and not the general well being of the town.

The way the system works is simple, the local Councils fund / support local initiatives until it becomes successful. Then they pull the funding and take it over and run it under another name, only to make a complete balls of it because they themselves couldnt organise a p/up in a brewery. So they run community awards to get more ideas and the cycle goes on and on :lol: I have to say, the tidy towns awards has to be the best ...... getting people to do the councils work for a token trophy as they lay off council workers and it saved the Government millions. However nobody ever asked what happened to they local street cleaner with his cart, who kept an eye on the goings on around his area, knew everyone by name and kept crime down by his mere presence.
Toss

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:55 am

Ahh Toss your very cynical---no need for that - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sadly the modern way is to take in cash -The almighty dollar--spending -leave that to the government to sort out--
Yet the is no shortage of cash for as you say pet projects-like 10 k all inclusive runs -
Street cleaning is now on a Wednesday certain dates -Truck flies up and down the street -later followed by one of the councils mini sweepers
I suppose we should be thankful for that :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
-
GT-the Sunday business in the park
-really great as you say-but in most cases -I cant see how they could turn a Sunday business into a mainstream 6 day a week enterprise-
-
OK I'm back just trying to get back into the moaning business -very hard after being on a break--
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Toss » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:05 pm

grammer wrote:Ahh Toss your very cynical---no need for that - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: -

Oh I'm sorry grammer, I wonder why ?

lets say I get on a state board ...... average number of meetings is 6 per annum and that gets me €12,000 (although I've heard €15,000 is the going rate nowadays). Then I wonder how long each of these meetings last, so I guess say 3 hours ..... 3 x 6 meetings = 18 hours and that works out at €666 per hour !!! and this is where the cynic in me asks the obvious question : do these people all arrive on time every time and stay till the end OR are they so busy that they arrive late and leave early ? and who can we compare their hourly rate to ?

€666 per hour,
€26,640 per 40 hr week and
€1,385,280 for a year.

silence is golden ;)
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Heres one that has been annoying me all day. When we used to be on the Sealink boat and she was approaching Holyhead your man called out "South stack abeam" to alert the staff that they were going past the South Stack. What was the announcement coming into Dún Laoghaire??? it is wrecking my head trying to remember. :?: :?: :?:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby cambria49 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:36 am

"South Burford, South Burford Buoy abeam!"
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:47 am

Thank you Cambria....I still don't remember it ...it was long gone.
I loved those old Sealink boats, even the rough crossings and sleeping on the floors or the deck. The boats had that certain smell of wood, oil,salt, people....I can smell it now. I must have taken thousands of trips and each one was exciting.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:19 pm

cambria49 wrote:"South Burford, South Burford Buoy abeam!"

What did that mean? South Burford?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi Strum, the South Burford Buoy is a marker Buoy situated to the South of the Burford Sand bank which is roughly in the middle of Dublin Bay. It is a fairly shallow sandbank that does not interfere with small craft, however it poses a risk to larger craft due to the shallow nature of the water depth. Subsequently it is marked by The Burford Buoys which mark the dangerous bank to aid shipping navigation. The Burford Buoys were maintained and placed onsite by the Commissioners of Irish Lights when I worked there. I presume they are still done by the Commissioners of Irish Lights. Hopes this answers your question and that I didn't cross over on cambria49.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Cheers Jem, was just curious. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:27 pm

Jemser wrote: . . . The Burford Buoys were maintained and placed onsite by the Commissioners of Irish Lights . . .. Hopes this answers your question .

But hey? Why "Burford"? Where did that name come from?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 am

Micheál wrote: But hey? Why "Burford"? Where did that name come from?
M.

The makers of the Buoys?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 am

dontknow
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby cambria49 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:48 am

Spot on Jemser.
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 am

Now yis have me googling Burford while I am at it I came across this INFORMAR site, very interesting

http://www.infomar.ie/surveying/Bays/Dublinv1.php
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 pm

I also was trying to Google Burford, to see where the name came from. Had to laugh when I came to a Lonely Planet guide entry: "Things to do around the Burford Bank, Dublin". That would make for a pretty limited choice, no doubt!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE