Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:24 pm

Navanman wrote:Very posh lot you all are.

I would make up a Ham and Tomato Sandwich and a can of Fanta and I am as happy as Larry siting down the seafront anywhere. Total cost €4.


NM


:lol: :lol: We do that as well, but, there is nothing like letting someone else do the preparation and the washing up and feeling spoiled in the process.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Dancer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Navanman wrote:Very posh lot you all are.

I would make up a Ham and Tomato Sandwich and a can of Fanta and I am as happy as Larry siting down the seafront anywhere. Total cost €4.


NM


See, I couldn't do that. The ham and tomatoes sandwich is ok but a can of Fanta to wash it down......nooooooooo!
I would have to have a hot coffee.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Beside the seaside :))

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Strum » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 am

Dancer wrote:See, I couldn't do that. The ham and tomatoes sandwich is ok but a can of Fanta to wash it down......nooooooooo! I would have to have a hot coffee.


Funny you said that. I read recently that it's a bad idea to drink cold drinks with hot food. The article compared it to pouring hot oil down a drain and trying to wash it down with cold water. That make sense?
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9564
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Sputnik » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 am

Good thread.
Whenever I go home I always like to eat out. I usually find it good value, except for the wine prices.
Last year we ate very well in Mao and found it good value. Also, ate in Toscanas a few times and enjoyed it.
On one beautifully sunny day we had a light lunch sitting outside a small eatery where Ann’s Hot Bread Shop used to be. Nice toasties and great, friendly service. Good coffee too. It was the first time I had eaten outside in the middle of Dun Laoghaire and it was almost Mediterranean in feel.
Also had a great seafood meal at The Purty Kitchen. Again, great service, and the Guinness was a bigger attraction than the wine.
And, for old times sake, you can’t beat a Batterburger and chips at the Miami.
Waken me for meals.
User avatar
Sputnik
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:16 am

Great to hear from you Sputnik.

Great selection of places there. When we ar here all the time we get complacent and only eat out the odd time then it is a scramble asking people "what is good". When you are visiting you are trying out all meals breakfast, snacks, lunch, etc and get to just drop in on what looks nice.

I was down the town yesterday and saw the Giddy Goose reopened and a new place on the corner of York Road. I hadn't time to stop but, they both had a fair number of people in them. Nice to see my end of the town starting to smarten up.

The Miami still holds a special place in my heart...we used to sneak out of school between classes and meet the lads from Eblana...a cup of tea was a date...my heart still pounds...Ahhh the innocence of it all.....
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Micheál » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Sputnik is right about that place opposite Axa Insurance, where Anne's Hot Bread Shop used to be - the Gourmet Cafe.
Nice coffee and cake pit stop.

M.
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Dancer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

Strum wrote:
Dancer wrote:See, I couldn't do that. The ham and tomatoes sandwich is ok but a can of Fanta to wash it down......nooooooooo! I would have to have a hot coffee.


Funny you said that. I read recently that it's a bad idea to drink cold drinks with hot food. The article compared it to pouring hot oil down a drain and trying to wash it down with cold water. That make sense?

NO! :lol: :lol: :lol: If that were true can you imagine how many people would be doubled up in pain because of intestinal blockages :roll: The intestines extract water and nutrients from food as it passes through thus creating poop :D and some people are full of the stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Beside the seaside :))

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Toss » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Dancer wrote:NO! :lol: :lol: :lol: If that were true can you imagine how many people would be doubled up in pain because of intestinal blockages :roll: The intestines extract water and nutrients from food as it passes through thus creating poop :D and some people are full of the stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Its amazing what a day in hospital can teach you :P

Image

Image
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby grammer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Micheál wrote:Sputnik is right about that place opposite Axa Insurance, where Anne's Hot Bread Shop used to be - the Gourmet Cafe.
Nice coffee and cake pit stop.

M.

Yep I agree with both of you .
I was in there today -it always seems to do good business.
As a matter of fact most of the cafes were doing good business today including the new bread shop-
Always a few bob floating around D/L.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby grammer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Dancer wrote:
Strum wrote:
Dancer wrote:See, I couldn't do that. The ham and tomatoes sandwich is ok but a can of Fanta to wash it down......nooooooooo! I would have to have a hot coffee.


Funny you said that. I read recently that it's a bad idea to drink cold drinks with hot food. The article compared it to pouring hot oil down a drain and trying to wash it down with cold water. That make sense?

NO! :lol: :lol: :lol: If that were true can you imagine how many people would be doubled up in pain because of intestinal blockages :roll: The intestines extract water and nutrients from food as it passes through thus creating poop :D and some people are full of the stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Holla » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 pm

We had a nice Fish n Chips and mushy peas in the Club Bar Dalkey the other day.
User avatar
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: The borough

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Micheál » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Holla wrote:We had a nice Fish n Chips and mushy peas in the Club Bar Dalkey the other day.


The Lamb Shank is new to the menu - delicious.
And if you want somthing really filling - Panfried Chicken
And the piping-hot Sheperds Pie never fails to please.

M.
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby grammer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:48 am

Sadly :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have never had the pleasure????
I prefer to hunt for my own food. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would class myself as one of the last great white hunters
I set off most mornings and head out into the great backwoods and beyond.













@esco
@unnes
@upervalu
@ldi
@idles
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Micheál » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:14 am

grammer wrote:
...

@esco
@unnes
@upervalu
@ldi
@idles


You should try these too . .
@entra
@par
@orner @hop

M.
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Micheál » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:15 pm

M&S Meal for Two
Main Course: Pork and Beef Meatballs with Pata Bravea, Garlic Alioli and baby boiled Potatoes
Desert: Tiramisu
Bottle wine: Puglia 2014

Total bill €14


(Ok - technically it wasnt bought locally, but it was consumed here.)
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:39 am

Jaaaaaz that's expensive.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 am

Micheál wrote:M&S Meal for Two
Main Course: Pork and Beef Meatballs with Pata Bravea, Garlic Alioli and baby boiled Potatoes
Desert: Tiramisu
Bottle wine: Puglia 2014

Total bill €14


(Ok - technically it wasnt bought locally, but it was consumed here.)





:roll:
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9564
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Rocker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:45 am

Check out Camile Lower Georges St Down near York Road. Thai food. Ate at the one in Pearse Street on Monday and the food was fabulous. They do on line ordering. Must check out Dún Laoghaire outlet asap.

https://www.camile.ie/
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Sinead » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Had a meal last night in KERZ in Blackrock, fantastic Moroccan
food. Quite a small place only 22 seats but it is also take away.
No drink licence so you can bring in a bottle of wine - no corkage
charge. I had lamb, with dates and apricots, my companion had
chicken with veg and potatoes, we had one very large dessert
the bill was 40 Euro, staff were very nice. I would definitely go
there again. It is on the Main Street near the Bank.

Sinéad
User avatar
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm
Location: Co.Dublin

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Zirco » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Yum! Sounds very tasty Sinéad! wuu :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
User avatar
Zirco
Stellar Member
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Rocker » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Sounds great Sinead. Thanks for the tip off.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby spudseamus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:04 am

Me heart wants a Whimpy and chips after a night at the Lismara or the Carney Arms :shock:
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:42 am

spudseamus wrote:Me heart wants a Whimpy and chips after a night at the Lismara or the Carney Arms :shock:


:lol: :lol: You and me both, Spud......They don't do that after drink food the way they used to....but, then again I don't drink that much now :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Dancer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:37 am

Rocker wrote:Check out Camile Lower Georges St Down near York Road. Thai food. Ate at the one in :o Pearse Street on Monday and the food was fabulous. They do on line ordering. Must check out Dún Laoghaire outlet asap.

https://www.camile.ie/

:|
They have a branch in Sutton. I thought they were way overpriced for what you got !

I wonder what is the best Indian restaurant in Dublin? Haven't found a "to die for " Thai restaurant yet either :|
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Beside the seaside :))

Re: Eating out in Dún Laoghaire..Highs and lows

Postby Micheál » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:01 am

Brunch at the Gourmet Food Parlour - "Farmhouse Plate" €10.
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron