Dirty Old Town

The Town and its People past and present...

Dirty Old Town

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 pm

One of the downsides of Gulliver's Walk was the constant reminder that, despite much good work being carried out to improve the town, there remains a constant - the failure to look after the little things. I particularly referring to a creeping shabbiness from failure to maintain premises and public areas and keep them free, not just from litter, but also from nature.

Here's one for starters -

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Re: Dirty Old Town

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:56 pm

This is what greets foot passengers alighting from the ferry

Last edited by Micheál on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 pm

If they can be sprayed, could someone at least clamp them . . .

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Navanman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Micheál
I am in the Local Chamber of Commerce and have mentioned that (weeds) on a number of occasions but they do nothing about it - that I can see anyway.

Another problem here (my pet hate) is chewing gum on the footpath. Blobs of it all over the place.

By the way I believe the walk was excellent.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:31 am

Oh Micheál one of my BIG MOANS........everything is done half heartedly and grudgingly. No pride in their job. I just can't believe the shopkeepers either...the only one I see washing and sweeping outside his place is O'Connor the Jeweller it is a credit to him the rest have everything from dog pooh to human blood trails outside their premises and don't think they owe it to their customers to present a clean and decent pavement into their premises...always when we opened the shop we got a big bucket of hot soapy water and wiped down the doors and scrubbd the entrance....now the shop staff find it hard to take the money for purchases...too busy on their phones talking to their friends!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:29 pm

I live in Ballybrack and frequently walk the environs thereof.
Often my wanderings take through Kilbogget Park,where I've often observed what appears to be a team of maintenance people.Or at least I think that's what their function is...they wear big yellow HV jackets with really deep pockets where things appear to get lost...'cause the people wearing them always have their hands in them, searching. I don't know for certain who employs them or what their specific function is...there are about half dozen of them and they seem to get very long tea breaks and have really lots of time to stand about in their ' containers ' ie work sheds talking and joking. Now!if these people are being paid by some local authority or by social services why could a supervisor not be appointed to help them find whatever it is that's lost in their pockets and when that's done,could transport not be provided to ferry these people to the various places in our borough...especially the town and seafront...where their services could be better utilised in keeping nature at bay??? BangHead BangHead BangHead
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Hmmm. . . . sounds like Community Service.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Umm sounds like the Parks Dept.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Ah Slipper, sure the supervisor is there with them dontcha' know !!!! and the supervisor's supervisor is with the Manager playing golf, if not, they are at a meeting to plan a meeting to organise a "fact finding and educational" visit to California to see weed control at street junctions and litter control on Golf Courses, weather great over there, might as well have a round or two while we are here !!! meanwhile the lads in Killbogget are like U2 as in They still haven't found what they're looking for BangHead BangHead
PS Slipper, tell them you've just lost 5x€20 notes somewhere in the Park and observe from a distance :lol: :lol:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby slipper » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:54 am

Stop it keeper....don't get me going on the "makey up" little conferences and meetings that the councils countrywide organise so they can all move around and claim their expenses........ :shock: :shock:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE