Annals of Dun Laoghaire

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Annals of Dun Laoghaire

Postby Navanman » Fri May 23, 2014 12:08 am

Gulliver I am having trouble trying to edit it. Will contact you.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby grammer » Fri May 23, 2014 12:32 am

After being all for the idea originally I dont think this is a good idea---
Im not saying this just to be a knocker but
I think it's gonna be a hoovering operation of all the info that people put on this site and other sites .
I think it's just going to be a local version of fkbook.
I reckon it will be controlled by a select small group of people who think they own the history of Dun Laoghaire.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Fri May 23, 2014 8:07 am

Grammar
Of course it's a hoovering operation - but the main source is not Facebook, or even this site, as you think.
It is hoovering up in many cases from original source material, from directories, from archives etc. But most of all it is hoped that it will hoover up from yourself and others.
And if indeed it does hoover up from Facebook, etc, it will put the stuff in an ordered and structured fashion, which Facebook (or this site) does not do. Even if it did that alone, it would be worthwhile.
Don't be cynical - just try it!!!

Gull
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri May 23, 2014 8:55 am

I think that it's a fantastic idea. To think that you could have one place were the views, and or,experiences of ordinary Dun laoghaire people would, in my opinion, be a great asset to local history.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Fri May 23, 2014 10:11 am

Denis Cromie wrote:I think that it's a fantastic idea. To think that you could have one place were the views, and or,experiences of ordinary Dun laoghaire people would, in my opinion, be a great asset to local history.

I'm with you there Denis. I don't mind people hoovering up info as long as they present it unbiaised. As Grammer says there will always be an element of people thinking they are the oracle...every club and society has the know all...but, all opinions are valid ...remember the man on the corner selling the papers sees and hears everything and is more tuned in than the history professor....I should know he was my Da and my uncle...brilliant minds.

I'm going out there to add my bits to the annals....I owe it to my family who were in Dún Laoghaire way before technology and who led simple lives but, contributed to the lives of hundred of people in the town. Every family has it's history and it should be written and linked to place and time.

It was only when I started doing my family research that I realised how important it is to record historical and everyday facts. Remember the journal you are keeping today will be a piece of historical evidence in one hundred years.

Keep up the good work Gulliver.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Fri May 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Gulliver
I think it great to have a STRUCTURED history of D/L.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Fri May 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Gulliver wrote:it will put the stuff in an ordered and structured fashion, which Facebook (or this site) does not do.

I agree. It's a good page. This site on the other hand will always be a chat forum and for that reason it goes askew somewhat as in continuity. I hope to add some content to the Wiki page when I get my head around it. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sat May 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Of course I'm being cynical-
just thought my post might stir up a little bit of interest -but that does'nt seem to be the case ----so far dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Sun May 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Maybe a few of us might get together for a pint in Dunphy's some evening and try a bit of collective editing, just to see how it's done. Bring along a few laptops. There's wifi there.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Gulliver » Mon May 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Really lovely page on The Annals of Dun Laoghaire about Bolands, provided by a certain member of this site who did not put his name to it (You can add it!).

I have added a couple of photos from this site - hope that is OK??? This is the real stuff that I want to see.

Find it on http://localwiki.net/dl/Bolands_Bakery

Anybody else prepared to write like this?
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Really enjoyed that Denis. Great memories.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE