Early 1950's, Miss Lang's school, Royal Terrace West....

The Town and its People past and present...

Early 1950's, Miss Lang's school, Royal Terrace West....

Postby Colin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Just been looking on Google Maps, trying to figure out which beautiful property housed Miss Lang's, a small independant school for kiddies! Overlooked a hockey (rugby?) pitch in those days....
I was there (from about '55) until I was old enough to move to St.Andrews College, then located in Ballsbridge.
I was raised just up the road, at the very top of the cul-de-sac on Beechwood Grove.
Some really happy memories : learning to ride my first two-wheeler on Beechwood and Holmston Avenue, ably assisted by my sister Carole.....she attended Glengara school on the Glenageary Road at that time.
Above 50 years since I was there, but I still have memories : a beechnut tree at the roundabout at the end of Holmston...there was Doctor Darling's house half-way down Beechwood...A lad called Herbert Sharman...The Fox twins....
Dot Cooper and her daughter, also resident in Beechwood's cul-de-sac....
Looking at the aerial shot, I see Greythorn Park and its cul-de-sac - all open fields there in my day!
Colin

Re: Early 1950's, Miss Lang's school, Royal Terrace West...

Postby Sinead » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Welcome to the site Colin. I don't remember the school but the
beech tree is still there in Beechwood Park. Glengara Park is
no longer in existence, I think it may have merged with some
others to become Rathdown School. St. Andrews is very much
alive.
Do give us some more of your memories.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby bugrock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Welcome to the site, Colin hellllo
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby jaytee » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Colin. You're very welcome aboard. hellllo
jaytee

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Welcome to the site Colin. Don't remember the school. Pity all the older generation has gone! An old friend Moira Moore lived at Holmston Avenue in the 50's sadly she passed away this year.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Colin, I walked to school from Sallynoggin every day to Dun Laoghaire via Holmston Avenue, Myrtle Park and Royal Terrace, but have no recollection of a private school. I remember Tom and Kathleen Smith who lived near that roundabout you mentioned. At one time Tom operated the wine counter in Findlaters, but later left to start his own business.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Colin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Good afternoon, all..... Thank you for your warm welcome, and courtesy of the date, let me wish you all a great 2014 as well!

Going to spend some time delving into the old mental scrapbook later, but in the meantime, Miss Lang's....

Definitely, but definitely, on the Terrace...her little schoolroom was in the basement, fully kitted out with little desks and so on, but we all - how many children? - used to troop out onto her back garden to have our milk at break time. I seem to also recall being "milk monitor" occasionally, but that was probably on a rota system rather than a reward for any academic achievement!
I'm assuming that she lived in the house above...whether she was actually unmarried, or whether we simply knew her as "Miss", I don't know. There may have also been her sister involved, but that could just be my memory playing tricks.
Young though we were, she taught us various words in French - I seem to recall some pictorial alphabet card system along the longest basement wall.

Right...that's it for the time being!
Sláinte!
Colin

Postby Colin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Nothing to do with the above really, but many years afterwards I worked for Thomas Cook travel in England. On one of their training courses, I happened to room with a great guy from their Dublin office, David Lowther.
We were the only two with Irish "connections", so we got on like a house on fire...a lovely, lovely man.
We met again some years later in London, he and his beautiful wife Shelagh....in fact, we all went to the opening gig of Jethro Tull's "Passion Play"....someone can probably date that!
I know he eventually went to work at Tommy Tobin travel in Dublin but then, as with most things in life, you move on....and what you mean to do tomorrow...well......
Colin

Postby Colin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 pm

As you'll have probably feared, memories are filtering back one by one.....and here's another.

Our next door neighbours at the head of the Grove were (perhaps) the O'Dowds?
There were at least 2 girls - Grainne and Fionnoula.
Grainne would've been about the same age as my sister, and had beautiful long and straight blonde hair....I've been a sucker for blondes ever since!
Colin

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 am

Colin,

I know from your postings that you are going to fit in here so well. wuu Looking forward to loads of news for 2014.
Oh if only I could remember the names of those lovely staff in Thomas Cook in Grafton Street...when I started out in the travel business as a green 17 years old Thomas Cook timetable was our bible. I was only a few days in the job and someone wanted to book a round the world air ticket...i had to take out my geography book at home and plan the route...no computers in the 60's but, we got them there and back!!The ABC !!...Thos Cook did all our foreign exchange, couchettes, world rail travel..amazing staff.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Colin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:03 pm

Morning!
Yes, Cook's...."The Sleeping Giant"....and how true that was.
They wiped the floor with every other agent at the time...their (pre-computer) information system was second-to-none.
The most unusual request I ever had concerned hiring a mule for transportation - somewhere in Peru, methinks - and believe it or not, the required information was indeed in one of their binders!
They prided themselves in knowing that you could walk out of your office in Grafton Street and straight into one anywhere else on earth and (overlooking language problems) you'd have the same system for reservations, accounts and so on....
Remember 7991s?
7996s?
MC99s?
I also remember our then manager returning from some high-powered meeting in London and having to announce that we, Thomas Cook, would finally have to book other operators tours! He was mortified! Up to that point it had been Silver and Golden Wing only!
And then there was the first-ever "coup" - The ABTA guarantee!!
I finally left in '71 after 7 happy years...and in truth have regretted the move ever since.
That said, look at TCs now....barely more than a "post office" for inclusive holidays.....
Heigh-ho....

Incidentally, my friend Dave Lowther was actually at Grafton Street, but think he left for Tobin's some time in the mid 70s...
Colin

Postby Navanman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 am

Colin
Thomas Cook is to the travel industry what Hoover is to the vacuum cleaner industry. Everybody must have used them at some stage. I remember travelling in from D/L to the office opposite Trinity College just to book our holidays and getting the Thomas Cook travellers cheques.

I don't think my daughter has ever book any travel through a Travel Agent - all internet now.

Navanman
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Bit late in my welcome Colin and i don't remember the school either. But I've good memories of Myrtle Avenue and Holmston, it was the route we took to play our football and hurling in the Noggin. I have a good friend who lived in Holmston,David Clynch smashing person but like your case with Dave Lowther haven't met him for some time.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Colin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi there Denis....
Ah...Holmston Avenue!
My main memory is being taught how to ride my first "proper" 2-wheeler bike around there. My sister was running alongside holding the rear of the saddle whilst I "got my balance". After some time, I suddenly realised that she'd let go, but I was hurtling towards those bollards stretching across the road!
Yes, I realise now you could drive a tank between 'em, but when you're about 6/7 and only just mastered the art of balancing, it was a scary thing!
No relation, I'm sure, but I had an uncle Billy Cromie who ran a farming hardware store in Hilltown, Co.Down for many, many years. Lovely man, sadly no longer with us....
Colin

Postby Strum » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:37 am

Hi Colin. I grew up around there 60- early 70's and yes I do remember some kind of private school up the top of the West side. They taught Piano and Ballet, (you could see through the front Bay Window) :D and probably more subjects but I don't know about that.
The same place was a language School years later.
Now I don't know if that's the same School you mean though, but I highlighted in yellow on the map below. One of those Houses. Was that it?

Strum
Administrator

Postby Colin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Morning....
Ballet? Er....no! At least, not in my time.
I'm going to have to ask my older sister about this...she's a few years older and might remember more detail, but I seem to recall "my" school being further along the Terrace...I'd say overlooking the then-hockey pitch.
That said, it's longer ago than I care to remember, and I was very young, so maybe my memory's playing tricks...
I'll see what her memory's like!

Well, that was a waste of time!
All she could do was repeat the knowledge I already have, except with the additional snippet of information that it was known as a preparatory school, with pupils moving on at age 7....
If she's right, this means that I was there until sometime in 1958, whereupon I moved to St.Andrews College (then in Ballsbridge), until the family moved up to Belfast in '61, with me then attending the Royal Belfast Academical Institution, where I was to shortly fail my 11-plus examination!
I've tried to find some archived education information regarding Dun L's schools, but it seems a bit of a lost cause.
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Colin my Father was born in Belfast and I suppose it's possible that Billy is a relation but i remember seeing a Northern Ireland telephone directory and there was 2 pages full of Cromies so it's pretty common up there. My Dad died when I was 7 so I don't remember him ever talking about his family.
Denis Cromie

Postby Colin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Colin my Father was born in Belfast and I suppose it's possible that Billy is a relation but i remember seeing a Northern Ireland telephone directory and there was 2 pages full of Cromies so it's pretty common up there. My Dad died when I was 7 so I don't remember him ever talking about his family.

I appreciate your point about the surname!
It wouldn't be easy finding a connection (if any) as, although he had two daughters, I haven't a clue as to their whereabouts these days!
Colin

Postby Colin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Not particularly exciting, illuminating (or helpful, frankly!), but my sister now suspects that the little prep school was headed/owned by a Miss LAING, as opposed to LANG.....
What is surprising is that I seem to be the only person that remembers attending all those years ago - there were other pupils!
Colin

Postby Fionnuala » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Colin - this is fionnuala o'dowd here from beechwood! Just came across your postings today and what a surprise I got to see all the memories of beechwood in 1950's!! Do I remember you used to come to Balls bridge with us sometimes in mornings when we were going to school in Pembroke road and you were in school near there also? Lovely memories of beechwood as we were there till 1966 and many of original people were still there. Was just looking at photos of those days recently and think you and Carole featured in!
Fionnuala
Stellar Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:33 pm

There you go,just shows how valuable this site is. Hope to hear more from Fionnuala and Colin after this. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:11 am

Denis Cromie wrote:There you go,just shows how valuable this site is. Hope to hear more from Fionnuala and Colin after this. wuu wuu wuu

I have enjoyed re reading all the posts. Hope to hear more.Welcome Fionnuala.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Welcome Fionnuala. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Colin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Fionnuala wrote:Hi Colin - this is fionnuala o'dowd here from beechwood! Just came across your postings today and what a surprise I got to see all the memories of beechwood in 1950's!! Do I remember you used to come to Balls bridge with us sometimes in mornings when we were going to school in Pembroke road and you were in school near there also? Lovely memories of beechwood as we were there till 1966 and many of original people were still there. Was just looking at photos of those days recently and think you and Carole featured in!

Hello, Fionnuala!
Well, that'll teach me to give up and not log in for months! Had to 'rejoin' the forum, with new username/password, and it took a few days to be authorised!
Just send Carole an email about your forum post, so it'll be interesting what comes back from her!
Was just trying to think of the other folk in the cul-de-sac....it's all so long ago....
From what I remember, there were two old spinster sisters (?) living opposite...then the Fox(?) twins and family...
On the opposite corner we had my mum and dad's friends, Harry and Dot Cooper and their daughter.
There was also an American widow (?) at the time...
Down the Grove I remember - I think! - a Dr.Darling. In fact, was it a man-and-wife doctor team?
On the opposite side lived Herbert Sharman and his mum.
Oh yes, I remember Herbert!
I vividly remember watching his mum march Herbert up our drive before banging on our front door.
She was livid....
I'd bitten poor Herbert on his back, actually drawing blood. A perfect set of teeth prints to boot...
Probably hurt as much as my calves did soon after, when my mum saw red and hit me a few times with a damp tea-towel!
It's a bit late, Herbert....56-or-so years...but I'm sorry!
Colin
Stellar Member

Postby Micheál » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Colin wrote:Not particularly exciting, illuminating (or helpful, frankly!), but my sister now suspects that the little prep school was headed/owned by a Miss LAING, as opposed to LANG.....
What is surprising is that I seem to be the only person that remembers attending all those years ago - there were other pupils!

It might be noteworthy that there was a Charles J LaYng listed at no 7 in Thom's Directory 1941
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE