Shamrock Rovers & Dún Laoghaire

The Town and its People past and present...

Shamrock Rovers & Dún Laoghaire

Postby Derrindaffderg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Folks,
I am a Trustee of the Shamrock Rovers Heritage Trust. We collect historical memorabilia pertaining to the club and display it in Tallaght. (See here http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/history/heritage)

I would love to hear people's stories or see photo's regarding friends or relations from the borough who played for or supported the club down through the years.

Last edited by Derrindaffderg on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrindaffderg

Re: Shamrock Rovers & Dún Laoghaire

Postby Toss » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Derrindaffderg wrote:Folks,
I am a Trustee of the Shamrock Rovers Heritage Trust. We collect historical memorabilia pertaining to the club and display it in Tallaght. (See here http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/history/heritage)

I would love to hear people's stories or see photo's regarding friends or relations from the borough who played for or supported the club down through the years.

I spent many a day at Milltown in my youth and love telling the odd story about following the hoops. In th 70s, terrace chanting was at its peak and Rovers fans were no exception. Needless to say, whatever was belted out ... we all joined in and to this day I still laugh when I think of a few hundred of us terrfying the opposition with chants of 'We are the MUDJJA, THE MUDJJA - HADEEM' ..... and no a clue what the hell it was all about :lol:

We used to climb the trees at the back and drop down onto the terraces when Sherlock was not looking :oops: once in, you ran like hell to the shed :D

Kilcoyne killed Rovers for me, I did extract some revenge years later but never really went back as a regular fan. I am delighted they are doing well and love the fact that the fans are involved in the running of the club, best of luck to everyone out there.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby keeper » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Three of us were invited to take a trial with Rovers, always dreamed of playing for them, we went in the big double gates at Milltown to be met by a gentleman with a list of names, checked who we were and promptly sent us home because we weren't wearing a shirt and tie :shock: :cry: :cry: and didn't look respectable enough for Rovers, I mean we were coming straight from work :shock: :shock: We never went back !!!
keeper

Postby Rocker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Great idea DD and the best of luck to you ...I hope you get crate loads of memorabilia.In the early 50's my father was a great supporter. He loaded up his bike with me on the back carrier and my brother on the crossbar and cycled to Milltown ..hail rain or shine. I don't remember where the bike was stashed but, we were lifted over the turnstiles...a big bit of bunking went on!! The roars and the jostling...Happy days.....
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Harjoe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:28 pm

HI your subject will bring back lots of memories to older Dun Laoghaire folk back to the time when Workmans Club reached the semi final of the F A I Cup in 1956 when Rovers beat the Club 2 1 before going on to beat Cork in that famous cup final.
Many players from Dun Laoghaire played for Rovers like Tommy Kinsella, Eugene Davis ,Pat Whelan, Anto Whelan, Pat Devlin ,Des Kavanagh,and many others.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Toss » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 am

Harjoe ..... your mention of Pat Devlin has reminded me of Christopher 'Chippy' Devlin who was a Goalkeeper from Cabinteely, went to Leeds and if I am right he ended up back at Milltown with Rovers .... do you recall Chippy?
Toss

Postby grammer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:46 am

Good one Toss
your really shakin' the tree now. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
In a good way.
I remember a time when half the lads from the Boro were on the way over or on the way back from Engerland on trials with every club from the old 1st div. right down to the to the southern leagues --
A good claim to local fame back then. :D :D :D :D :D :D
but everyone forgot to mention that nearly all came back after a couple of weeks dontknow dontknow dontknow
I could have had a trial with Torquay but i did'nt even have a pair of boots -
oohhhh yeh and I did'nt even play for a team :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

there was never any mention of Scottish football clubs back then.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Harjoe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 am

Yes Toss I know Chippy well and played with him over the years later great goalkeeper who shared Youth international caps with Packie Bonnor,
he was a member of the famous St Josephs Boys team that won every league and cup frm under 13 to youth from from 1972 to 1978 and produced internationals at under 15 in Chippy, Lar Mahoney,Alan Campbell and John Murrey R I P plus seven youth internationals in Anto Whelan,Chippy Devlin,Dave Kane, Mick Shelly,Des Kavanagh,Alan Campbell ,Aiden Mc Cluskey most of the team signed for League of Ireland clubs including Tony Clack .
Chippy went to Leeds but returned to play with Shels, Anto Whelan went to Bohes and wes signed by Man Utd in 1981 but returned to play with Rovers ,Shels ,Bray still involved with Joes .
Alan Campbell broke records in scoring with Shamrock Rovers and signed for Real Santander in Spain.
All those players were part of Jimmy Whelans team and many of them got toghter this year at Rosie Whelans R I P(Jimmy's wife) funeral this year Roseie looked after the boys as if they were all her own and her house was open to all.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Derrindaffderg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:38 am

Great replies - Keep 'em coming.

I have had the pleasure of Chippy's company in McKenna's on the odd occasion. I only recall seeing him play once and that was at a Bray Legends vs. Liverpool Legends game out in the Carlisle in the last few years. A Gentleman.
Derrindaffderg

Postby Toss » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 am

I went to school with Aiden Mc Cluskey and Alan Campbell, both sound lads although I always thought Aiden was going to be the one that made it big when we were kids.

Harjoe's list is good but its not like him to omit my old golf teacher and famous Dun Laoghaire-ite Peter Farrell, who left Rovers for Everton.
Peter certainly deserves a mention as one of the greats if not the greatest that donned the hoops jersey.
Toss

Postby Harjoe » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:27 am

Toss I did not forget Peter a great friend of mine, I could write a whole page about Peter, alone I was just nameing ones that came into my head at the time and we were thinking about in the 70s & 80s . :( :( :( :( :( sorry

I organised the Peter Farrell booth in the F A I offices and gave a lot of memoribilea to the F A I for same and I could write a whole page on Peter.
Aiden McCluskey lives in U S A now
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Derrindaffderg » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm

In a bedroom in my Mothers house there is a framed picture of her Fathers cousin Sonny Hudson from Glasthule who was killed during the Civil War. On the opposite wall hangs a photo of Shamrock Rovers FC from the 1930's during the Mary Jane Cunningham era. Alongside the players and the Cunninghams in that picture sits Rovers' solicitor Mr. Michael Noyk.

It was only in recent days while re-reading old newspaper reports that a lightbulb went off in my head. Mr. Noyk was the legal representative for the Free State Army at Sonny's inquest in 1922. The two photo's have faced each other on the wall for some time and nobody in the family ever twigged there was a connection!

What a small country we live in :shock:

http://comeheretome.com/2013/11/07/jewi ... d-1916-23/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Noyk
Derrindaffderg

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for posting those articles. i had heard a few of those names but, never knew a huge amount. there were Briscoes living at Stradbrook in the late 20's when my mother moved there.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 am

Rocker wrote:Thanks for posting those articles. i had heard a few of those names but, never knew a huge amount. there were Briscoes living at Stradbrook in the late 20's when my mother moved there.

Would the Kennedy's of Stradbrook ring any bells ?
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:06 am

Sorry Spud..not to me...didn't spend enough time there...my mother would have known...she knew what everyone had for their breakfast, ;) :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:08 am

Ahhh ok all good !
spudseamus

Postby murphs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:14 am

Re. Peter Farrell
As you know he played for Everton. There was a strong connection between Everton and The Royal Liver Assurance Company.
When Peter returned to Dublin, he was given an insurance book by the Liver and as everybody knew Peter, he had no problem extending his book and made a good career for himself as a Insurance Man.
I later worked for The Liver out of Dun Laoghaire and used to call to Peter at his house off Foxrock Avenue.
Can you imagine any of todays "Pro's" coming back to Ireland and having to go Door to Door selling anything.
murphs

Postby Micheál » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Murphy's story reminds me -

Some years back, after Dublin won the Sam Maguire, the late great Mick Holden was touring local schools with the trophy. A teacher asked the pupils if they knew who their famous guest was. A young hand was instantly raised at the back of the class.
"Sir, thats me Gran's Insuance man"

(Mick, like his father Tom, was the local Royal Liver man)
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Derrindaffderg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm

The above mentioned Michael Noyk sitting beside Rovers legend William "Sacky" Glen.
Derrindaffderg

Postby keeper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 pm

Great story DD ! You set my memory into overdrive !! My late Dad's hero was Sacky Glen !! He told numerous stories of Sacky and how brilliant a player he was, and, now I get to see a photo of him !! my Dad used to say that was when the game was a man's game, nothing like a wet pitch with plenty of sliding tackles, nowadays you'd probably be sued for assault if you did one !! I remember seeing Noel Cantwell many times, now there was a "slide tackler" supreme.
keeper

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE