The Down Survey maps - Dun Laoghaire

The Town and its People past and present...

The Down Survey maps - Dun Laoghaire

Postby Gulliver » Thu May 16, 2013 12:15 pm

The Down Survey (1656-58) was the first survey to actually measure the land of Ireland to produce proper maps - indeed it was the first such survey in the world. It was managed by William Petty, and it transformed map-making. As a collector of old maps, I have maps dating from the years before the survey and from the years soon after, and the improvement is extraordinary.
Cromwell had done his worst in Ireland in the preceding years and had installed many of his fellow countrymen in vast estates in Ireland. Maps were needed to know the extent and ownership of such estates.
These maps have now become available online at http://www.downsurvey.tcd.ie.
The maps are in various formats.
There are Google maps, county maps, barony maps and parish maps. In addition, there is an information system which indicates who owned the land before the survey (1641) and after the survey (1670)
To find your way through these, you must know the barony and parish names.
If you are looking for the Dun Laoghaire area, the relevant parish is "Kill and Moncktowne"
If you are looking for the Dun Laoghaire area, the relevant barony is Rathdown.

You will find that the vast majority of the area from Booterstown through to Dalkey was owned by one Walter Cheevers(1605-1678) of Monkstown Castle. He may also have owned Dalkey Castle. He came into possession of these lands about 1634, lost possession of them for a time during Cromwells period, but was restored about 1660 after Charles II came to the throne. The Cheevers estate was broken up in the 1700s, and some of Cheever's descendants can still be found in the UK, where I contacted them some years ago. Eventually, much of the land came into the possession of the De Vesci and Longford/Pakenham families.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: The Down Survey maps - Dun Laoghaire

Postby Micheál » Thu May 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Delighted to see Mikey Brien's stream (aka Ballinclea stream) was there back in the day.

I'll never forgive Cromwell for ignoring Dun Laoghaire when arriving here. He chose to land at Ringend. Come to think of it, maybe it was just as well. Ask anyone in Clonmel or Drogheda.

Many years back, there was a lovely gentleman from the Farm by the name of John Cheevers. He acted as a caretaker in Monkstown Community Centre just up the road from "Wheelers" aka Monkstown Castle. (Navanman, it was never known locally as Widow Gambles, her's was the Hill (now bizarrely called Upper Mounttown). I often wondered might that Mr Cheevers have been connected with his ancestoral neighbour.

Incidentally, I have an intimate connection with Wheeler's Castle myself. Specifically, a lasting indent in my skull - the remains of a brick-sized rock that was dropped from the summit onto my 12-year old head. Those were the days when there was an A&E in Monkstown so I has not far to stumble. No good Lawyers in them days.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Re: The Down Survey maps - Dun Laoghaire

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 am

Hi and welcome to sunny Dun Laoghaire
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE