The Binmen in the Borough.

The Town and its People past and present...

The Binmen in the Borough.

Postby johnstow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi All,

Has the subject of the binmen come up before. They were great guys and hard workers.Just thought about them this Christmas, when they would knock on your door to wish you a happy Christmas, and they would get a couple of quid in an envelope.Nowadays youd be lucky to have your bins collected if the lid isnt closed fully.Has anybody got any photos of any of them?
johnstow

Re: The Binmen in the Borough.

Postby Holla » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:51 pm

When the corpo guy's emptyed our bins we always gave a few bob at christmas once you gave a christmas box you could put anything out for these guys,those were the days when we just piled everything and anything into the aul steel bins with the rusty bottom hanging out of them garden rubbish, clothes, DIY rubbish, household bits not much recyling done then they must have been a ton weight we also had the refuse sacks for the dogs to rip asunder.I also think of a local Binman tiddler Meighan rip from Glasthule accidentally killed when hit by the bin lorry a few years back.we used meet these lads when heading out in the mornings and get a nod or hello,I never see our present binman mister panda I just hear him at about 630am on a Thursday and every so often he sends me a little letter looking for a few bob (all above board of course)
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:02 pm

No photos Johnstow...but had lots of binmen in the family over the years. DunLaoghaire Council was a great place to work and my great grandfather and grandfather did everything from sweep the roads, build the roads to empty the bins. There were hard chaws and stories to tell but, I never saw any tales put to paper. We knew everyone on the "lurry" when we were kids and the lads would come into the house and give the ma a hand dragging out heavy old objects. we had a bit of a covered lane at the side of the house and lads would stop there for a cup of tea and some of me ma's cake. Nowadays they look at you as if you have fifty heads if you ask then to give you a hand with the bin! The foreign lads have a different sense of humour ...it is just a soulless job now not "the job" where you worked for thirty or forty years cause all your family worked for the council!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm

The binmen in Dun Laoghaire were great. The one I remember most was known as The Bull Williams, a giant of a man
who seemed to be able to lift any weight and just heave it into the lurry. Mr. Williams lived in Sallynoggin.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE