Watson's Nurseries.

The Town and its People past and present...

Watson's Nurseries.

Postby johnstow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm

hi
has anybody got any history on watsons nurseries killiney.
johnstow

Re: watsons nurseries

Postby Strum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Is that the one at the roundabout opposite the Graduate Pub?

Welcome to the site. :D
Strum
Administrator

Re: Watson's Nurseries.

Postby grammer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 am

Its still there I think
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:04 am

Welcome to the site Johnstow,

Keeper one of the members might know the history of Watsons. He lived nearby. I can just remember the whole Watsons Estate being built in the early seventies? or thereabouts on the Nursery lands.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby johnstow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the welcome,great site.

The nurseries was before the Watsons estate was built,I think it might have been called,Watsons nurseries, Ballybrack.
Somebody else told me it was called watsons after someone called,Mr Watson was murdered there.Also there was a big house just off the churchview road,just passed the church on the right hand side coming down from Rochestown avenue,looking over, Our lady of good counsel girls school,and somebody said this was also part of Watsons nursery,and others said this was known as Beltons house,now it is where Auburn estate is.
johnstow

Re: watsons nurseries

Postby johnstow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

Strum wrote:Is that the one at the roundabout opposite the Graduate Pub?

Welcome to the site. :D

Thank Strum,

it was the one where wastsons estate is now.
johnstow

Postby Harjoe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:05 am

I lived on Watsons Estate for more than twenty years and also knew Watsons Nurseries they had a football team at one time there were so many people working there ,
I knew Jim Mahon and Christy Taylor from Sallynoggin worked there ,the nurseries went from the roundabout right down to Tescos taking in the church and schools.
At the time mid 1950s I worked in McClatcheys Nurseries beside the Sallynoggin Church where the old folks rooms are now .
At that time there seemed to be a lot of nurseries and market gardens around the area 2 or 3 in Cabinteely alone Sunny Hill , Le Martinare, people wanted fresh produce then more than fast food like now.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:25 pm

A family member worked in the Nurseries as a student. One day he came home and related how a distinguished visitor's helicopter passed over. He claimed he could see the main guest waving to him from the window. That puts a date on when the place was still operational - June 1963.
It was JFK.

M.

In the chopper that is - not my relative on the ground skiving off work.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:58 pm

johnstow wrote: Beltons house,now it is where Auburn estate is.

Johnstow,

I had a mosey at the old OSI map for the area and the only house I could find around Auburn is Kilbogget House,Cabinteely
map below,

OSI map
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Probably stating the obvious here!

In the 1800's all the lands around Blackrock, Stillorgan, Kingstown, Loughlinstown were either farms or large houses. Seem to remember reading that Ballybrack was noted for a big nursery (or nurseries?) in the area.

Kilbogget House was close to Cabinteeley and had a big farm behind it stretching back up to Rochestown Ave. I think a number of nurseries in the area originated from these farms.

I think Kilgobbet farm merged with Watsons Nurseries so they may have been 2 seperate farms at one stage.

Is Kilbogget house still standing?

I may be wrong in the above so don't take it as gospel but I am almost certain I read it somewhere.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby johnstow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Navanman wrote:Probably stating the obvious here!

In the 1800's all the lands around Blackrock, Stillorgan, Kingstown, Loughlinstown were either farms or large houses. Seem to remember reading that Ballybrack was noted for a big nursery (or nurseries?) in the area.

Kilbogget House was close to Cabinteeley and had a big farm behind it stretching back up to Rochestown Ave. I think a number of nurseries in the area originated from these farms.

I think Kilgobbet farm merged with Watsons Nurseries so they may have been 2 seperate farms at one stage.

Is Kilbogget house still standing?

I may be wrong in the above so don't take it as gospel but I am almost certain I read it somewhere.

NM

Yes kilbogett house is still there,it became the Convent for the ursuline nuns.
johnstow

Postby Sinead » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:25 pm

When I was growing up Watsons Nursery was always in Kilbogget. I think the land was owned by
a woman in Dun Laoghaire.
When the houses were built this area became Killiney!

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Johnstow,

You have me thinking and looking. I had a look at the history of the Ursaline Convent and they said they bought the house and lands from Broderick. I then went to the census for 1901 and Brodericks were living in the big house and most of the other houses were agriculture workers.
Here is a link

Ballybrack Kilbogget
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Did someone post a photo of the watson nurseries on this site before,I know I did see a photo of them somewhere :(
Holla

Postby johnstow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Rocker wrote:Johnstow,

You have me thinking and looking. I had a look at the history of the Ursaline Convent and they said they bought the house and lands from Broderick. I then went to the census for 1901 and Brodericks were living in the big house and most of the other houses were agriculture workers.
Here is a link

Ballybrack Kilbogget

Thanks for that rocker,

Kilbogett house was one of the four large houses in the area before the estates were built.The other Three were Johnstown house were the Collins family lived.Cabinteely house were Joseph Mcgrath lived.Marlfield house were the kennys lived.Actually kilbogett house is open to the public at certain times of the year.Is there a census for the other ones?
johnstow

Postby johnstow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Holla wrote:Did someone post a photo of the watson nurseries on this site before,I know I did see a photo of them somewhere :(

I hope so,would love to see it.
johnstow

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:05 pm

johnstow,

You really need to know the surname of the people in 1901 or 1911 otherwise it is just a matter of going through the returns. They didnt put in house names at the census. You would have to look through Cabinteely and Johnstown.

Ballybrack
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Johnstow,

The tithes applotments books are interesting for who was in the area in the 1800's

This could be portion and Pim was the largest owner;

Tithe applotments

this is another interesting one Comton Domvil

Comton Domvile
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:04 am

Harjoe has explained the location of Watson's very well, it ran along the rear of the now derelict bungalows and the nursing home down to the Protestant Church on Church Road, down to Tesco's (Gubay's) and across to the old Bray Road and back towards Cabinteely.
There were two right of ways, one went from opposite the golf course down past the yard and on down the valley and over to the Bray Road. The other ran down by the edge of the Protestant Church. The Valley became a dump when Watson's sold out and was completely filled in, Seapoint Rugby Club, and Cabinteely Boys AFC now play on that reclaimed land.
George Watson was the Boss, it was mainly a Rose Growing nurseries, the head Rose grower was a Scottish man named Tom Kelly and his wife was called Sadie, he was a hard but fair man. Further down the lane lived a couple called Nolan, he was involved with the big Clydesdale ploughing horses. The Nolans were allowed to stay in their cottage when the nurseries were sold, and were soon surrounded by new houses, the nurseries were a magical place and the smell of the roses in Summer was beautiful. I forget the name of the plough man, think maybe it was Greene from Cabinteely, but he would talk to the horses as he worked, it was great to listen to him as he worked behind them, they did have a soccer team, Pat Murphy played for them, he worked in Watson's, when the nurseries went he worked in a garden centre near Monaloe and then set up a place on Johnstown Road, it might still be there, further in than Hill's Hire.
My Parents and myself were great friends with Tom Kelly and the Nolans and we had many great Hogmanay's !!!
keeper

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Keeper,

What a great bit of history. Had a feeling you would know the inside track. Nowadays noone talks or exchanges stories and young lads around here couldn't care where they lived. We had an emotional bond to our place.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby johnstow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks keeper

Great bit of info there.Did the nuseries come under Ballybrack or Killiney?
Is there any photos of the house or nurseries on the site?
johnstow

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Johnstow,

It is Ballybrack and there are no photos on the site that I have seen.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:20 am

The address was always " Watson's Nurseries Killiney " !! Never could understand why, although Ballinclea Road was Killiney also.Ballinclea Road was the boundary between the County Council area and Dun Laoghaire Borough when I was growing up, I couldn't join the Library in Dun Laoghaire because I wasn't in " The Boro " I think Stillorgan was my only option for a while, until they relaxed the rules, I eventually could borrow books there, come to think of it, the bungalows on Rochestown Park were in Dublin County Council and across the road the houses were in the Boro' !!!!
keeper

Postby johnstow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am

Ye the address was always a funny one,considering Church road from the Graduate comes under Ballybrack,and yet it is between Killiney golf course and Watsons estate.
Was the large house which was near the top of Doonsalla drive and looked into the yard at the big community hall Watsons nursery also.?
johnstow

Postby patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Davy Lacy was a painter and decorator from Devitt Villas,Glasthule, and he worked for watsons Nurseries as a painter in the early years,and knew the Watsons very well.
He always refered to the nurseries as killiney and the other side where Johnstown estate is now, he always called it kilbogett.as the land was owned by the Brodericks from Kilbogett house.
patrick

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE