Watson's Nurseries.

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Watson's Nurseries.

Postby johnstow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Thats right,

I think the land all around in the early days were shared by four houses, Johnstown house where Holfeld is, and Marlfield house which became, St Gabriels hospital, Kilbogett house which became the convent for the ursuline nuns, and ,Cabinteely house which owned a lot of the land up around cabinteely.
The Gallaghers bought a lot of the land in the early sixties including Watsons estate.
Last edited by johnstow on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnstow

Postby johnstow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Harjoe wrote:I lived on Watsons Estate for more than twenty years and also knew Watsons Nurseries they had a football team at one time there were so many people working there ,
I knew Jim Mahon and Christy Taylor from Sallynoggin worked there ,the nurseries went from the roundabout right down to Tescos taking in the church and schools.
At the time mid 1950s I worked in McClatcheys Nurseries beside the Sallynoggin Church where the old folks rooms are now .
At that time there seemed to be a lot of nurseries and market gardens around the area 2 or 3 in Cabinteely alone Sunny Hill , Le Martinare, people wanted fresh produce then more than fast food like now.

Harjoe,

Was Sunny Hill nurseries were the Sunny Hill estate is now, off the Dual carraigeway opposite Shanganagh Vale?
johnstow

Postby Sinead » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am

In the early 1900's there was a Ballybrack, Killiney Urban District Council, don't know when it ceased, I think
Kilboggat came under its duristiction. Kilgobbat Cottages are not far from Dunnes in Cornelscourt.
Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby johnstow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks Sinead,

I did not know there is still Kilbogett cottages,I only heard of O Sheas cottages in Cabinteely village.Where roughly are the Kilbogett cottages.?
Great bit of news.
After they changed Kilbogett to Cabinteely, I thought the only Kilbogett left was,Kilbogett house in shrewsbury lawn and Kilbogett lane,which is a short laneway beside shanganagh Vale and the esso garage,It is an itinerant site.
johnstow

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 am

Johnstow,

Sinead will know where those cottages were but, I put up a link to the OSI map on an earlier post and you can navigate around the area by using the Pan facility... it gives a little hand on the screen which moves the map for you. You can look at the various maps for the area just by clicking in to the selection in the lower box. I always find the historic 25 map great and then the best feature is... inthe lower black box there is an overlay bar .. go to the required area and slowly move the overlay to the right and you will see how the area looks today. Churchview Road comes right through the old Kilbogget Farm buildings. Happy map looking. Gulliver, our main map man will probably say I am navigating the maps all wrong.. but, it works for me!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby ibkeane » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 pm

keeper wrote:Harjoe has explained the location of Watson's very well, it ran along the rear of the now derelict bungalows and the nursing home down to the Protestant Church on Church Road, down to Tesco's (Gubay's) and across to the old Bray Road and back towards Cabinteely.
There were two right of ways, one went from opposite the golf course down past the yard and on down the valley and over to the Bray Road. The other ran down by the edge of the Protestant Church. The Valley became a dump when Watson's sold out and was completely filled in, Seapoint Rugby Club, and Cabinteely Boys AFC now play on that reclaimed land.
George Watson was the Boss, it was mainly a Rose Growing nurseries, the head Rose grower was a Scottish man named Tom Kelly and his wife was called Sadie, he was a hard but fair man. Further down the lane lived a couple called Nolan, he was involved with the big Clydesdale ploughing horses. The Nolans were allowed to stay in their cottage when the nurseries were sold, and were soon surrounded by new houses, the nurseries were a magical place and the smell of the roses in Summer was beautiful. I forget the name of the plough man, think maybe it was Greene from Cabinteely, but he would talk to the horses as he worked, it was great to listen to him as he worked behind them, they did have a soccer team, Pat Murphy played for them, he worked in Watson's, when the nurseries went he worked in a garden centre near Monaloe and then set up a place on Johnstown Road, it might still be there, further in than Hill's Hire.
My Parents and myself were great friends with Tom Kelly and the Nolans and we had many great Hogmanay's !!!

Just came across this post,I lived at the end of Auburn Drive in the eighties, there was an old cottage on some ground two doors up from me and a Mrs Nolan lived .As soon as she died the cottage was knocked and a few house were built. Must be the woman you talk about,nice old lady used to bring the kids in for biscuits.
ibkeane

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Gang,
I just picked up on this site..By an amazing coincidence I met a chap at the Duxford BUS/AIRSHOW in Cambridge last Sept. A fellow Dubliner and he was introduced to me by a mutual pal of ours from Tandragee, also at the show.. Like myself this guy is a bit of a BUS anorak and after a short few minutes it was clear that he was a fellow DUNLAOGHAIREITE...He is none other than Charles Watson son of the founder of Watsons Nurseries .
Charles has lived in Ipswich for many years and never went into the business except as a lad during holidays etc. Instead he became a teacher and we had a long chat about the 1950-1960s DunLaoghaire, He has taken many pictures of the area as a lad with a Konica Camera given to him by hid Dad and actually used colour film and wonderful quality too. Many of the pictures are now with the Irish Railway Record Society..even pictures of local D-L delivery lorries Albriight & Wilson, T.E.K. Wallace Coal etc, and the old wharf where is now Stena frontage etc.
I will contact Charles to see if he will allow me to pass on his email to the enquirer. I am sure he will be a mine of information. I will contact via p.m. as soon as I have detail
Enviro500
Last edited by Enviro500 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:16 am

Yes, ibkeane ! That's the lady, she was a very nice lady. Her husband used to sit on a chair outside the cottage, he loved to talk to people using the right of way, I used to sit with him for ages listening to all the old stories. They were allowed to stay in the cottage after the sale of the nurseries till they passed on.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Enviro,
Have sent you a PM re another "Busman".

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Enviro500 wrote:He is none other than Charles Watson son of the founder of Watsons Nurseries .

Wow that's an amazing coincidence! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby johnstow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Thats right ibkeane,

I remember that little cottage well.There was a great short cut through there, to get to Granville close and another way would get you back to Doonamana road.
The cottage pillars were the last to be knocked down,they wre left long afer the cottage was gone.
johnstow

Postby johnstow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Enviro500 wrote:Gang,
I just picked up on this site..By an amazing coincidence I met a chap at the Duxford BUS/AIRSHOW in Cambridge last Sept. A fellow Dubliner and he was introduced to me by a mutual pal of ours from Tandragee, also at the show.. Like myself this guy is a bit of a BUS anorak and after a short few minutes it was clear that he was a fellow DUNLAOGHAIREITE...He is none other than Charles Watson son of the founder of Watsons Nurseries .
Charles has lived in Ipswich for many years and never went into the business except as a lad during holidays etc. Instead he became a teacher and we had a long chat about the 1950-1960s DunLaoghaire, He has taken many pictures of the area as a lad with a Konica Camera given to him by hid Dad and actually used colour film and wonderful quality too. Many of the pictures are now with the Irish Railway Ecord Society..even pictures of local D-L delivery lorries Albriight & Wilson, T.E.K. Wallace Coal etc, and the old wharf where is now Stena frontage etc.
I will contact Charles to see if he will allow me to pass on his email to the enquirer. I am sure he will be a mine of information. I will contact via p.m. as soon as I have detail
Enviro500

Cant wait to see some of those photos :D :D :D
johnstow

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Johnstow,

When you posted this first I didn't think anyone would have any info. How wrong I was. It is turning into a great story.Get us thinking and start another topic.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Alan1 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Watsons Nuseries well known for roses. Worked there during the school holidays round about '56/'57. My job was pulling weeds for £1/2/6 a week. Later graduated to tying off the new grafts with raffia after the 'budder' had placed the graft into the old stem. Spent most evenings pulling thorns out of my hands!!

Alan1
Alan1
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Oh Alan, you might be sorry you told us. I am a frustrated gardener and always looking for advice. You will be most welcome on the gardening topic.....bugrock in Australia will love that!!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Alan1 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Rocker,

You lookin' for advice, you come to the wrong place!! Pulling weeds I was good at. Still can't tell the difference between flowers and weeds.(My wife will vouch for that!).
Alan1
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Aaaahhhaaa you lulled me into a false sense of security.....you are just like the rest of us then...you will fit in.... hellllo
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Alan1 wrote: Pulling weeds I was good at. Still can't tell the difference between flowers and weeds.

I learned the hard way too Alan. My dad was very proud of his garden and any misdemeanors on my part had me slaving in the garden, which was a lot. Worked St. Joseph's grounds too.
I'm good at weeds, and when you understand the difference, running a site like this helps you differentiate between the ones you should pull and the ones you should leave alone. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 am

But have you ever weed in the garden Stum? :) :)
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 am

Micheál wrote:But have you ever weed in the garden Stum? :) :)

Oh yeah, many. :D
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE