Newspaper Vendors

The Town and its People past and present...

Newspaper Vendors

Postby budgie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm

whatever happened to the little army of young lads who sold the evening papers on the main street.there always seemed to be someone on every street corner with an arm full for sale.even sitting in a bar one could rely on a visit from a paper seller.this was well before the "meteoric"rise of a mr davis.anyone remember scoop Johnson or Peader Kenny,well known elder vendors. :?: :?:
Last edited by budgie on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budgie

Re: Newspaper Vendors

Postby grammer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Hiya Budie nice topic -
I think there is a mention of most of these sellers in the famous dunlaoghaire-ites thread --
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Grammer,

You are probably too young to remember Mick McGuirk, who sold papers in the 40's and early 50's. a lovable eccentric who was very close to my heart. We were just recollecting paper selling/rounds the other day. I'd forgotten how dirty the print was, how dirty your clothes got, how heavy the bundles were. As kids we got up at 5.30 and collected our papers and cycled around the posher houses in Blackrock and had our rounds done by 7.30 had breakfast and off to school. After school we did the evening rounds if we could beat the other kids (first come got the gig) wecut the tops off the papers for returns and took home the remainder for family and neighbours.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
Never did the papers myself -
but Kays family used to do them when they were young and lived in Glasthule
house deliveries and outside the church on Sunday mornings - :D :D
I was too grand :D :D I'm originally from old Sallynoggin you know. :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby spudseamus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:46 am

grammer wrote::D :D :D :D :D
Never did the papers myself -
but Kays family used to do them when they were young and lived in Glasthule
house deliveries and outside the church on Sunday mornings - :D :D
I was too grand :D :D I'm originally from old Sallynoggin you know. :D :D :D :D

ROFLMAO!!!! oooooooooohhhhh stop me side hurts!!! ya devil!! :twisted:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 am

GANG,

Interesting question ref Newsvendors, remember Murrays in the Farm (I think that's the name) were they not the Mafia of the Farm,
I never did the 'papers' but many years as a 'milklad'...
I must go to Deansgrange and ask Davy Stevens his thoughts on news paper boys !!!!!!!!

Enviro..
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Enviro, are you on the 'to be sure, to be sure' route with postings? They seem to come in on the double.

Rocker, Mick McGuirk if I remember correctly lived in the lower part of Patrick Street. Another paper seller was Clinker Lynch, never knew his real name. Peader Kenny's father was a paper seller. Jimmy Rogerson was another seller. How did they all make a living? They all reared large families.
I think there is another topic on this site covering the paper sellers of Dun Laoghaire.
Most of the young lads who sold papers wore hats of some sort.

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Sinead, I do not know why it does that......is it the excitement of THIS SITE...?
Enviro, Enviro,Enviro,Enviro etc, etc etc,
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Sinead wrote:Enviro, are you on the 'to be sure, to be sure' route with postings? They seem to come in on the double.

Sorted.

Enviro, stick to the SINGLE Malt, or see your GP about that Parkinsons. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Do you remember Joe Jennings and Cyril McIntyre on the Radio in the mornings giving the traffic reports and their stock phrase was "buses are bunching" p.s I am nearly on topic as both were Journalists
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:55 am

Rocker,
Cyril McIntyre and myself have been old friends for over 35 years. I will be meeting him in May for lunch when I go to Dublin.. He has been retired from Broadstone for four years now.I knew Joe J. at 59 Upr O'Connell St too....

With regards to the news vendors , my parents bought their home after I left for England in 1967 and they were next door neighbours to EDDIE BROWN, the paper vendor in Dun Laoghaire, for years...The parents house has long since been sold after Dad died in 1992 and Mam lives in Dalkey now at the ripe old age of 90...
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby fusspot3 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:54 pm

i think i remember Scoop Johnson, dident he sell papers at the bottom of york Road , i also seem to recall he ran dances from somehall near by, correct me if i`m wrong :)
:oops:
fusspot3

Postby fusspot3 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:56 pm

hi guest, are u from glasthule pls ?
fusspot3

Postby fusspot3 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:03 pm

hi gulliver , ntmy.
fusspot3

Postby Harjoe » Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 am

Yes Fusspot Scoop Johnston whose name was O Neill ran dances in the Workmans Club and then in the rock & Roll era in the orchird Rooms over Burtons at the corner of Mulgrave St he also ran dances in the Town Hall during Lent when the parocial Hall was closed .
Scoop was my first employer I delerved papers for him around Lower Georges street and York Road for one shilling and a penny a week 1s/1 p.
Born in Avoca Square in York Road there is some photos of Scoop in my photos on the site.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby marylen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 pm

fusspot3 wrote:i think i remember Scoop Johnson, dident he sell papers at the bottom of york Road , i also seem to recall he ran dances from somehall near by, correct me if i`m wrong :)
:oops:

Scoop ran dances in the Orchid Rooms at the end of Mulgrave st. over Burtons tailors.
I was too young to go but my brother went on Thurs nights and brought home hats and streamers.
marylen

Postby doodledo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:15 am

Reading Newspaper Vendors in Dub Laoghaire I see not a word on George Davis, who came from Carriglea Gardens and as a kid wouldn't go to school sold papers for "Scoop Johnson". George Davis has done very well to-date and owns 3 pubs on George's Street ... guess that's why they called it George's Street (haha) He went to school at Harold's in Glasthule and word has it his teacher would say to other kids in the class who wouldn't do school work "do you want to be like George Davis selling newspapers on the street" - had they known then how well he'd do there would have been a race to the gate (lol). I wish George Davis the very best and hope to see him buy more pubs/shops on George's Street. Support the local lad!
doodledo

Postby Rocker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am

Hello Doodledo,

Great post. I am a Rocker so don't know the lads from DunLaoghaire but, even I had heard of George Davis. I thought he also owned the Noggin Inn about 30 years ago?.My Great Grandmother was a Davis fom Wicklow and I often wondered if he was a relation of mine...Ha Ha now I have my eye on the pubs in Georges St!!. Is that the old Weirs did he buy that ?. At one time I worked in part of that when it was Kilmartins the bookies.In my day too Kilmartins in Sallynoggin was attached to the Noggin Inn and we used their facilities! The teachers in the Harold School must be eating their hats!! look at Richard Branson he didn't shine at school either.
P.S just noticed we joined site around the same time, but...I am a bigger chatterbox than you OMGawd !!!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby johndle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Was in Harolds the same time as George He was nice Lad
Don't remember him missing that much school
But was always out the gate and up to Main St. D Laoire
Have met him a few times since
and He's still the same nice lad

PS Rocker All Women are chatter Boxe's
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm

George owned Weirs for a time I think, then sold it. Scott's, Walters, and the Purty which I think he sold aswell and of course the Noggin inn still.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 pm

George Davis also owens a pub up around the vevay in bray called Katie something or others a surname.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE