Dun Laoghaire, recession, costs, failed representation

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Dun Laoghaire, recession, costs, failed representation

Postby grammer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 am

I forgot to mention that lady from dlrcc I'm sure answered in a question from Joe

that there are over a 1000 staff in the county hall :shock: :shock: :shock:
maybe I heard it wrong.
the thought that struck my mind was a 1000 staff but probably only a small number of these peopple are productive.
the rest are probably tiered management and paper pushers

dont forget the tea lady who is gonna have her salary cut to help pay off the bank debt :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 am

Grammer,

I heard that too and she went on to say they walked up and down Marine Road and bought their sandwiches and bit etc (but they have free parking) and Joe said he thought the Town would need more than these staff to keep it going. :evil:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

grammer wrote:I forgot to mention that lady from dlrcc I'm sure answered in a question from Joe

that there are over a 1000 staff in the county hall :shock: :shock: :shock:
maybe I heard it wrong.
the thought that struck my mind was a 1000 staff but probably only a small number of these peopple are productive.
the rest are probably tiered management and paper pushers

dont forget the tea lady who is gonna have her salary cut to help pay off the bank debt :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You heard correctly, what will not be asked is how many others are working there ........ because if you look at the way the DLRCC run things, its a certainty that they outsource the cleaning / catering etc. The twisted logic is that they are 'saving money' by buying in services, the reality is they have got a very good salary package that includes add ons and pensions etc and they have protected themselves by outsourcing (if they employed a cleaner, that cleaner would have the same entitlement to benefits as them and we cant have than now, can we). :roll:

The trick is ask the right questions and not listen to the bluff ....... ie how much do you earn as an elected representative? oh and what about expenses ? and what about medical checks? and what about Ipads? and what about phone allowances? and what about getting free tickets? and what about dinner invitations? I think it was revealed somewhere recently that each councillor has a training budget and a seminar / conference travel budget - budgets that they have to expend by the end of the year in order to maintain the same level of support for the next year.

I doubt if we could really calculate the true cost of an elected representative in this country to be honest, but rest assured its a lot more than the basic figure put out there.

I am not saying that some dont reserve or earn it, what I am saying is that we should be demanding to see the real costs of all public expenditure. Only then can the taxpayers tell if its value for money or not.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:10 pm

One of the signs of recession is the number of places offering to do alterations of clothing. In Cumberland St, Sussex Street, Patrick St (more than one), Upr Georges St to name some and I know I've left some out. There is even one which is part of a chain around the country. Time was when they were turning up brand new jeans etc. I think it's now a different story.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Navanman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Gulliver
I was saying exactly the same thing today in Navan.

They seem to have sprung up from nowhere.

A few years ago if you wanted that type of work done you went to one or other of a couple of people that worked from a room at their house.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Navanman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:21 pm

What are they playing at in America?

Between the Democrats and Republicans it seems to be a game of power as opposed to working together for the sake of the country.

No doubt it will be resolved at the last minute.

NM
Navanman

Postby grammer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:48 am

Let me reassure you people there is no recession -
it is a smokescreen -
the shopping centres in and out of the cities have been packed for the last couple of weeks
people grabbing armfuls of stuff with plenty of euros in their grubby little hands
the off- licences' could not keep up with stock -
I think there is a lot of acting the thick and ijeeett going on ;) ;) ;) ;)

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 81762.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/20 ... sales.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-af ... oonan.html
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 am

grammer wrote:Let me reassure you people there is no recession -
it is a smokescreen -

Grammer,

I found the whole Celtic Tiger thing a bit of a smoke screen. I just beavered along in my two bit job and the only difference was friends and relations bragged and boasted about how much they had and how big their car was while they lost the run of their earning and spending capabilities. When we tried to warn the youngsters not to get the big mortgages they just looked at the craggy cavepeople and sighed "what would you know"?. well what we ..the arse out of our trousers generation .. did know was .. we were hungry then and we were not going to be hungry again and etched into our hearts was the slogan "have it yourself or do without" learned the hard way.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Rocker wrote:I found the whole Celtic Tiger thing a bit of a smoke screen.

Excellent comment on Journal.ie concerning whether the economy is over the worst...

"Not at all. We will never ‘recover’ from this as the Rothschilds’ interest alone exceeds what extra money we have at the end of the year and since we use other peoples money to run our country, the only option for us is to sell every last asset and natural resource we have to try and make up the difference.
The problem there is our politicians have given these resources away for next to nothing so that avenue is also out.
It still amazes me that people think that we were ever rich or well off in the first place..Since the foundation of the state, we were poor, barely making ends meet. Right up to the start of the 90′s.
The we are lent billions (lent at interest) to which we bought and built all around us. Let self serving successive governments pay themselves insane salaries while we ourselves were too blind with other peoples credit (that became our debt) to either care or have the cop-on to do anything thing about it.
So when someone asks to when do we think we will recover? You need to ask them do they really have a clue about what they are asking..

We are still in the 80s except now, instead of having very little and no debt, we have a lot but are in debt for the rest our and our future generation’s lives.
To top it all off, the very people who own the banks that lent us this credit, are the very same who now effectively own everything we once did and we have to borrow off them some more just to pay the interest on the original money the lent us in the first place."

You see, this is the reality few people want to accept. We were never rich. The Celtic Tiger was just a funded splurge and with it, property prices soared to heights that WILL NEVER REACH AGAIN. People need to tell themselves this over and over and over until it sinks in. We will never see a recovery like that of the Celtic Tiger again so if you are somehow hoping for it, you are in for a rude awakening...

~Belenus
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Strum,

Couldn't have put it better meself. The whole Celtic Tiger thing was the smoke screen for the boys to feather the big nests. They didn't fool me then and they don't fool me now. Die poor, but, with your principles is the pauper's slogan.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 pm

We are still in the 80s except now, instead of having very little and no debt, we have a lot but are in debt for the rest our and our future generation’s lives.

the one thing I always object to is being included in the "we"
I borrowed -kfc
I owe-------kfc
but I am expected to pick up the tab for the arrogant "we"
who have endless money to spend on their quests for worldly goods and pleasures (sounds good :lol: )
but yet expect me -mise -to bail them out -cos their mansion on the hill is now worth kfc-
so they will not pay their morgages -but still go on 3/4 holidays a year-
but still help make it a bumper year for stores and business's-Xmas takings and sales are up this year.

Once upon a time not very long ago -a home was where you lived
then it became an investment for the future
its time "we" went back to basics and leave ME alone
ME who owes kfc and never wanted kfc (that I could'nt save for-if I could'nt afford it-I did'nt want it)

Lets start the next year off and "we" do the right thing

first prioity (like your parents taught you) pay your bills on time
anything left over -its up to "we" how you spend it.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:13 pm

KFC?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:31 pm

oooops forgot the "U" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Navanman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

And there was me thinking "I reallly need to learn some texting lingo" :) :) :)

NM
Navanman

Postby keeper » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:02 pm

So it's UKFC, Never heard of a soccer team with that name :shock: or is it FCUK :shock: :shock: or is it F :shock: :shock: oops ! Better stop now !! Grammer, I know where you're coming from, I object being brought into the "we" lot as well :twisted:
keeper

Postby Gulliver » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Grammar - you provide the perfect answer to Strums article above.

Strums says
"We will never see a recovery like that of the Celtic Tiger again so if you are somehow hoping for it, you are in for a rude awakening..."

In effect, yours, Grammar, says that you don't want another Celtic Tiger like the last one ...... and I agree with you wholeheartedly
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:02 am

With all the "we" I was looking for the outside toilet topic :) ;)
But you are right Grammer,

grammer wrote:Lets start the next year off and "we" do the right thing

first prioity (like your parents taught you) pay your bills on time
anything left over -its up to "we" how you spend it.

I wish the moaners would just pay their bills without the drama, they took out the big mortgages and wanted to live in big houses and looked down on usses without ambition. Ye make yer bed .... ye have to lie in it. Suck it up.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm

Agree with all of you about paying the bills. My blood boils when I listen to the smokers,
drinkers and horse backers moan and whinge about having no money. Years ago when
we got 'the house' I had to give up buying a weekly magazine so that I could pay the bills.
Ireland seems to have lost most of its old values.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Yeah and we didn't mind eating mince. I mentioned that to some young one in the shop the other day and you'd think I had told her to eat poison! they also never heard of Corn Flakes for their dinner either!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Sinead wrote: the smokers, drinkers and horse backers moan and whinge about having no money

Can't argue with that.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am

Nice to see that a new business is opening up in No 92 Georges St - the location where McManus's vacated when they moved across the road

Had a look into the shop in which the shelves are being stocked - has a look like another discount shop??
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Gulliver wrote:Had a look into the shop in which the shelves are being stocked - has a look like another discount shop??

Well funny you should say that. I was down the town yesterday and I COULD NOT BELIEVE the amount of Charity and discount shops in the town...and more opening all the time. The Chinese are taking over! :o
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Not 'nice to see' at all in my view.

Not because of who owns/runs these shops, I hasten to add - but surely an indication of
- the general economic climate
- DLRCoCo's disastrous policy in relation to commercial activity in the town centre.
- some shops continuing to price themselves out of the market

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Do you know the 1:49 shop in Bloomfields Michael? Some very handy stuff in there and pretty good quality too. If you spend over 12 quid you get 2 quid off your next purchase. How can businesses compete with that?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Strum

Only shops I bother with in " downtown" Dun Laoghaire all happen to be in Patrick Street
IBS
Jimmy's Barber
Bits & Pizzas - nice clientele :)

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE