Dun Laoghaire, recession, costs, failed representation

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Dun Laoghaire, recession, costs, failed representation

Postby Micheál » Thu May 12, 2016 12:06 am

Nothing is free Toss
I'd include "reasonably" paid for facilities
eg
paying for hire of Clarinda Tennis Courts
The new graveyard at Shangannagh (at a push)
but NOT paying the rates needed for a berth in the new Marina.

I'm trying to build a list of what might be termed "the people's facilities"
M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Thu May 12, 2016 12:10 am

Blue pool

Dunedin Football pitches
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu May 12, 2016 9:05 am

Micheál wrote:Blue pool

Dunedin Football pitches

Ahem, I mentioned them :D :D :D
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Thu May 12, 2016 11:26 pm

Loughlinstown Leisure Centre - children's playground on the Burma Road - Exercise machines on the
Green at Newtownsmith and Blackrock Park - the walkways along by the railway line.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby grammer » Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 am

Kilboggat Pk--
Ehh????Ehhh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Fri May 13, 2016 12:40 am

I love all the pieces of sculpture

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/arts/dlr_sculpture_map/index.html

Maybe it is because of the internet but, I think we have a lot more info now about the built heritage and artifacts in the area and I for one enjoy them more now that I know the history and story behind the piece or place.

The "new Irish" really appreciate what we take for granted. A Hungarian neighbour sets off every saturday with the children on their bikes and they explore the highways and byways. They rave about the cycleways and walks through woods etc.and return home with wild flowers, blackberries sloes crab apples etc...things we walk by without noticing.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm livid,in fact I'm incandescent with rage. My other half who turns 70 next week and who has to renew her driving license was delighted to discover that
having achieved this milestone there would be no charge for said license. There would however be the requirement to have our GP fill out a form vouching for her competence to drive.' No problem there' she thought - being a medical card holder - so she rings the Practice we've used for the last 47yrs to make an appointment only to be informed that there will be a 60euro charge for said appointment and that examinations for driving tests was not covered by the MC. Can anyone on here give me a reason -other than extortion/exploitation- why/how this examination and form filling should be any different to any other visit that requires an examination and letter of referral?? A Government that I have scant regard for has in its wisdom seen fit to grant the less fortunate in our society ie MC holders/state pensioners free driving licences and now these profiteering 'Professionals' whom we all know were immune to the recession of 2077---are resorting to the shameless exploitation of the vulnerable. Rant over, a little better,but still F---ing MAD BangHead BangHead BangHead
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm

I know you are going to come down on me like a ton of bricks but, could I speak up for the GP's. My hard working G.P who has put tireless research into my many ailments and kept me alive when other doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with me runs a practice and has to pay rent, electricity, wages, insurance,phones, internet,cleaning charges, bin charges and all the business charges for disposal of hazardous waste etc. As she is situated in the Borough in a very settled and elderly section of the population the majority of her patients have Medical cards. The practice is full to the rafters with cardholders and to be honest the Health Board payment does not cover all her expenses.I think G.P's are entitled to charge for extras such as this they were not immune to the recession as many of their fee paying patients just did not go to the doctor as they couldn't afford the fees. Most G.P's exist on a very small salary.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Rocker, thanks for you comments,It is not my place to come down on anyone like a ton of bricks for I'm sure your concern for the welfare of poor hard pressed GPs is genuine and that when you are off on your many frequent travels abroad that oft times you have trouble being at peace for thinking of them. My wife and I however can't afford either luxury, being that the only GPs we know of first hand are those in the 'practice' referred to in my previous post and I assure you that were I to introduce you to 'same' you wouldn't be referring to them as poor.Their 'business' is set in middle class suburbia (no LA housing here), they all six of them drive luxury auto's and live in the salubrious areas of the Borough. So our experiences -yours and mine that is- are obviously worlds apart. While I detect a hint of disdain for those of us holding MCs might I remind you that we 70s plus qualify for same by means test and are fortunate enough to enjoy reasonably good health and therefore have no reason to hang around rafters. With regard to 'extras',how can a visit to be examined and to have a form signed be regarded as an an 'extra'?? Did you consider that if some GPs lost revenue during the recent recession the reason might have had something to do with their- in some cases exorbitant fees- which they never reduced whilst the rest of those employed in public and private service suffered drastic cuts in earnings. You are a lady who likes research, I suggest for your edification you do some research into GPs fees in general nationwide and in particular in the many and varied boroughs of our own city and to refrain from making generalisations based on one apparently frazzled case.
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 pm

The 60 Euro does seem a bit high for this, my GP charged 30 for the eye test etc.
I can understand what Rocker is saying, some GP's do have a majority of card holders
and the fee from HSE is quite small.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Slipper ... you are so right, we are being laughed at by a government that gives with one hand and takes back more with the other. Its been going on for years and the reality is that every taxpayer (current and retired) is being screwed in order to finance bullshit regimes inc IW and political self preservation.

While I can see Rockers personal experience can lead her to thinking all GPs are struggling ..... the fact remains that its a business.
My GP has known me for many many years, but when he recently went on a rant about medical cards and free services .... I could not help but suggest he gave up his job as a way of making a point to those he voted in :o his reacting was priceless and I sat there poker faced as I thought to myself: who was going to pay his kids Blackrock fees .... its a tough upper class world out there.

I dont have private health insurance, I paid tax since I was 15 and here I am on the paddy last list of what needs fixing .... but my experience of the Irish medical system is one of complete mystification. We have great Doctors and nurses (the best may I add), BUT they are dragged down by red tape and bullshit .... they want to help but dare not cross the line into someone elses territory. Irish health care is one gigantic fcuk up thanks to years of Governmental / Health Board failures .... money ploughed into administration while patients take a back seat :oops:

Free Medical care should mean no money passes hands, yet like Slipper ..... I too have found that there is no such thing as free, you get screwed one way or another.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Sinead » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 pm

On Saturday night last I was in Dun Laoghaire and what I witnessed was frightening and
disgraceful. On Sussex Street at 7.50.p.m. there was a middle-aged woman lying in
the road, a young man trying to drag another female down the road, she kept falling
and a third female, not in a great state, shouting at him. Thank God I was not alone
on this short street. At the top of Sussex Street there were two well dressed men and
a girl, next thing one of these men put up his hoodie and ran down the Street to fight
with the 'drunk or druggie' he definitely had boxing training as he had a perfect stance.
The women really could not stand, one was attempting to hold her friend back and
the other trying to get up kept falling - her body must have been in bits the following
day. Their possessions were thrown up in the air landing on cars and anyone who got
in the way. I rang the Gardaí. My friend told me this is an every day occurrence in the area.
An English man who was parking his car told us these people were around all day, he had seen
them earlier. What a welcome for any tourists we hope to have in the Borough.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Ha, crosspost folks I was typing this when you responses came in.

I think you may have one GP in a million there Rocker. In my experiences with the charlatans in Clinics over the years is that they have little or no compassion, faked concern and can't wait to get you out of the room if you have a MC so they can make 60 quid cash off the next sucker in the door for ten minutes consultancy. Like Slipper said, the clinic I go to has parking for the GP's almost exclusively with the most expensive motors on the road.
Doctors who have not yet become fully-qualified GPs are being paid over €80,000 a year while they are still in training, according to a new report. Trainee GPs in the third and fourth years of their training, when they are based in GP practices, can earn up to €82,384 a year, including allowances totalling over €18,000, according to the report.

For instance I was at GP about three weeks ago for Tennis Elbow, (no I never played it) looking for a remedy, not a fistful of meds.
So he does his thing says he'll write me a script and how am I with Tylenol, I told him I don't take meds, as he knew already, so he said I'll write a script for some gel, sound, went to the pharmacy, left it in and when I got it there's more in the bag, a bottle of 500 paracetamol, 500 paracetamol ffsnakes, is he trying to kill me? So the sneaky git wrote it out and threw the pills in anyway even after telling him I don't take painkillers and he knowing I don't. :evil:
If I hadn't stood up to them 15 years ago when they were giving out nebulisers and inhalers that wreck the immune system, like sweets to kids if they had as much as a wheeze, I can only imagine how my kids health would be today. That's true, I was adamant that my kids DID NOT have Asthma. About 1 in 4 kids in their school class at the time were on inhalers all "diagnosed" with Asthma. :evil:

But fair enough the physiotherapist he made an app with I got to see today was excellent, I have ease already from the exercises. ;)

Anyway my point being is that an appointment with the physio would have sufficed. He knew the gel was useless if he'd studied the subject, I didn't want meds and yet he managed to get a script into my hand. He gets a commission from that and so does the pharmacist. It's an cash cow industry if you ask me. This is only my opinion from my personal experiences with them.

Who's your GP Rocker, I badly need a change. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Sinead wrote:On Saturday night last...

Sinéad

That's where "they" hang out Sinead, laneway behind the centre. Also I saw "Them" openly drinking beers at the bandstand in the Royal Marine the other day. Great for tourism eh! :twisted:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Sinead wrote:On Saturday night last I was in Dun Laoghaire and what I witnessed was frightening and
disgraceful. On Sussex Street at 7.50.p.m. there was a middle-aged woman lying in
the road, a young man trying to drag another female down the road, she kept falling
and a third female, not in a great state, shouting at him. Thank God I was not alone
on this short street. At the top of Sussex Street there were two well dressed men and
a girl, next thing one of these men put up his hoodie and ran down the Street to fight
with the 'drunk or druggie' he definitely had boxing training as he had a perfect stance.
The women really could not stand, one was attempting to hold her friend back and
the other trying to get up kept falling - her body must have been in bits the following
day. Their possessions were thrown up in the air landing on cars and anyone who got
in the way. I rang the Gardaí. My friend told me this is an every day occurrence in the area.
An English man who was parking his car told us these people were around all day, he had seen
them earlier. What a welcome for any tourists we hope to have in the Borough.

Sinéad

Thats just the way it is these days ........ sadly nothing changes as nobody has the will to deal with the issue, simply because dealing with it means making tough choices and being unpopular.

Ps theres CCTV all over the place and still no prosecutions, did you ever wonder why ?
Toss

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Toss wrote: Ps theres CCTV all over the place and still no prosecutions, did you ever wonder why ?

Hand up teach I know, I know! wuu
Strum
Administrator

Postby Zirco » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:10 pm

Er, the Garda are all driving desks instead of being out and about??? dontknow dontknow dontknow
:lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:10 pm

I must say that I'm annoyed with Slipper's response to Rocker's experience with her GP. If we can't express our experience without snide remarks about the holidays we take or the hobbies we have then it's a poor day for the site. In my view Rocker is the best contributor on the site,by a mile,and long may she continue to be so.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby jabra » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 pm

As regards to the GP's charging for signing the form for the driving license I too had to pay 60 euros last year.
I was annoyed but not surprised as I had been informed of this by a friend . So the license is not really free
when you reach 70 as the medical card doesn't cover the GP's examination which is really only an eye test
as your GP probably knows all about your health anyway. Another thing I notice about GP's they get paid extra by the HSE
for ear syringing as you sign a form for this procedure it doesn't cost you anything but he/she gets extra.
There are probably more perks for them but I just know of that one.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:I must say that I'm annoyed with Slipper's response to Rocker's experience with her GP. If we can't express our experience without snide remarks about the holidays we take or the hobbies we have then it's a poor day for the site. In my view Rocker is the best contributor on the site,by a mile,and long may she continue to be so.

One of the things I like about Rocker is her honesty and ability to roll with the punches, from her posts on here I'd say shes more than capable of giving as good as she gets .... but no doubt she knows Slipper is hurting and theres nothing personal in terms of his frustration. I think its a pity we cant allow such expressions of frustration without having to take it personally. Sometimes a rant online is far more beneficial than kicking the cat :twisted: slipper has made a valid point, he is getting screwed by the system as he sees it and I (and probably Rocker) agree with his original point. However his attack on the GPs of this world has obviously hit a few raw nerves ... Rocker gave her viewpoint from her experiences with her GP, it should not result in WW3 on here. Calm down and see the bigger picture ..... we are just worker bee's, the real issue is the queens who are sitting on their wallets in Dail Eireann whom have never had to pay a doctor since they got elected and have lost touch with us.
Toss

Postby Zirco » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:06 pm

wuu wuu wuu ...totally agree Toss.
My tuppence worth.... :roll:
This exchange is just an example of our vulnerability and humanity. Even though it is a common occurrence in life It really hurts to be criticised or misunderstood like this and to feel under attack. By both Rocker and Slipper. Soon it will be someone else's turn because it's in each one of us. Homo Sapiens.... :roll:
Both viewpoints are valid in their own way and it really comes down to variety or a spectrum rather than black and white. There are dedicated, wonderful, struggling GPs as Rocker describes and equally there are GPs doing very well indeed as Slipper describes. I recall annual earnings by GPs from the M.C. scheme being published showing very handsome six figure sums being trousered.
Unkind things get said in the heat of the moment.....and later regretted.
Anyway, let's empathise with and support two lovely people who contribute greatly to the vibrancy of DLC.ie
:D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:22 am

The global elite are doing a good job at making people angry and surely I can't be the only one who has sensed an upsurge of anger around the world right now? I think Slipper was just annoyed in the moment but taking a stab at Rocker was not necessary. Rocker and hid deserve every cent they have saved in their lives so they can take these trips.
Please let's not bicker here. We have a site without restrictions on free speech, I call it respect. :)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Dancer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:39 am

Strum wrote:The global elite are doing a good job at making people angry and surely I can't be the only one who has sensed an upsurge of anger around the world right now? I think Slipper was just annoyed in the moment but taking a stab at Rocker was not necessary. Rocker and hid deserve every cent they have saved in their lives so they can take these trips.
Please let's not bicker here. We have a site without restrictions on free speech, I call it respect. :)

I'm absolutely flabbergasted reading Slipper's reply to Rockers post :shock: :shock:
Fair play to you Denis for voicing your opinion in support of Rocker.
Rocker I wish you many many great adventures and to hell with the begrudgers !! hellllo 3some
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Toss » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Dancer wrote:
Strum wrote:The global elite are doing a good job at making people angry and surely I can't be the only one who has sensed an upsurge of anger around the world right now? I think Slipper was just annoyed in the moment but taking a stab at Rocker was not necessary. Rocker and hid deserve every cent they have saved in their lives so they can take these trips.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted reading Slipper's reply to Rockers post :shock: :shock:
Fair play to you Denis for voicing your opinion in support of Rocker.
Rocker I wish you many many great adventures and to hell with the begrudgers !! hellllo 3some

There I was thinking the dust had settled and we had moved on ....... :roll:
Toss

Postby Rocker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Toss,
Well what do you think of the recession etc ???
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE