Dun Laoghaire on old maps

The Town and its People past and present...

Dun Laoghaire on old maps

Postby Gulliver » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:12 pm

The history of Dun Laoghaire can be told through its maps. Most of the maps beow are copperplate maps. They were printed from a copper sheet on which had been scribed the map in reverse (i.e. mirror image). Here are a few examples:-

This Ortelius map of 1598 was produced in the last year of his life. The previous fifty years had shown a big improvement in map-making. Previous to that, virtually all maps were ased on a Ptolemy map which was over 1000 years earlier.
The Ortelius map of Ireland shows the west at the top. So this extract showing Dublin Bay is close to the bottom edge:-
Carigbrenna (Monkstown), Mergon (Merrion) and Brey (Bray) are shown on the south side of Dublyn, with Hothe and Clantarfe on the north side. Many other nameplaces are easily deciphered
No sign of Dun Laoghaire, though!!

This Mercator map of about 1605 has somewhat improved the shape of Dublin Bay. Mercator was dead by this time, but his publishing company still flourished. Interestingly, it shows Drogheda spelt correctly, but not on the Boyne.
In the south of Dublyn it shows Merion (Merrion), Moncton (Monkstown, Dalkey, Old Court, and Bray (located well inland)
No Dun Laoghaire!!

Howth gets a better shape on this 1606 map by Boazio
Dalkey and Meriem (Merrion) are there.
Kilcober refers to Kilgobbin, a forgotton village near Stepaside. Kildeinam is probably Kiltiernan, but what are Bremore, B Lough or Loughnon

Frederik de Wit had probably seen the Down survey before producing this map just before 1700. The coast is much better defined. Monkston (Monkstown) Donebrook (Donnybrook) Dauky (Dalkey) and Killeny (Killiney) are marked, but no Dun Laoghaire.

John Roque's map from the late 1760's shows the development of Dunlary around the Coffee House (present location of the Purty Kitchen. The harbour shown i in the area around the West Pier Service Station. The river shown is now culverted beneath Pakenham Road, and is fed by two rivers, the Monkstown Valley river and Mickey Briens' stream. The latter comes from Sallynoggin. The area of the modern town is an area of rocks and a quarry and a pathway, and much of the area is called Monkstown Common.

Taylors map of 1817 shows the partly constructed pier. This map was probably drawn by reference to plans, as the final shap of the harbour is slightly different. There is a short pier in the harbour at the position of the West Pier. I have problens with this map - I think that the line of the main road is not the line of todays Georges St - the street should be further North

More to follow
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Dun Laoghaire on old maps

Postby Gulliver » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:06 pm

The SDUK map of 1837 shows the early developement of the town, mainly concentrated around the junction of Cumberland St and York Road. There was a bank at that time in a lane off Cumbeland St. SDUK was the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge - the Readers Digest of the time.
The Ordnance Survey had just been completed, resulting in a huge improvement in maps. The railway had reached Dun Laoghaire, but had not been extended further.
The name Kingstown is prominent

The harbour was important to Kingstown, and this Fullarton map of 1872 shows depth in feet at low tide. The Carlisle pier does not show, and the railway appears to be very close to the sea, particularly at the end of the East Pier
Last edited by Gulliver on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby keeper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 am

Gulliver, thanks for posting these maps, they are really interesting, I wonder, just looking at the map, were Dunleary and Kingstown two different areas before it became known as Dun Laoghaire, would it be correct to say present day Old Dun Leary Hill was the original location, no sign of the "Purty Kitchen" on the map though :)
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Keeper

You will find a good history of the area here
http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/harbour.html
It suggests that in the 1700's there were up to 70 buildings in the area around the Purty Kitchen.

The name Kingstown dates from the 1821 visit of George IV.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Holla » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Gulliver Iam glued to these maps ....the sduk map of 1837 (second last one) shows a widows asylum in the Deansgrange/ Hollyville area any history on this place ??
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby grammer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 am

Great maps Gulliver
I see Avondale and Woodpark -think I see me great grannies house :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby spudseamus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 am

Gulliver a great post -- the old man will love these and the history with them thanks again :)
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Gulliver » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Dancer wrote:Wow,great stuff Gulliver! I too am wondering about the" women's asylum " and "The Chickens" on Taylors map ?

Looked at the Widows Asylum. From the map, it seems to be about the present location of Mount Albany estate, off Newtownpark Avenue. That estate was built in the grounds of Newtownpark House (Now a nursing home), but the excellent history of the house on the nursing home website makes no mention.

No idea about "The Chickens"
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

As far as I can remember we mentioned "The Chickens" on the older version of the site and they were semi submerged rocks --
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Also had a quick look at the 1852 Thoms Directory for the Widows Asylum. There are lots of Asylums listed and a few for widows, but I could not find one in this area.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Great info there,Gulliver.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:52 am

On the Chicken rocks Gulliver/Dancer/folks
http://www.monkstownparish.ie/story.pdf
page 8 mentions the Chicken rocks
it also contains a nice potted history of the boro'
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 am

grammer wrote:On the Chicken rocks Gulliver/Dancer/folks

Oops, I'd forgotten I put that there!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Gulliver » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:05 am

grammer wrote:
On the Chicken rocks Gulliver/Dancer/folks

Oops, I'd forgotten I put that there!

just as well as I reminded you Gulliver :D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE