Parks in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

The Town and its People past and present...

Parks in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

Postby Gulliver » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:08 am

A report in Wednesday's Hearld (14th Mar 2012) says:-

DOGS, youths and vandalism are keeping some city residents out of our parks, a new survey has found.
One in three people are not satisfied with parks in the Dun Laoghaire area -- but say their problems could be fixed.
The Open Space Strategy report, the first ever report carried out by a local authority in Ireland, identified deterrents such as dog fouling, lack of exercise facilities, and anti-social behaviour as being major turnoffs for local constituents.
The report found that 87pc of people stated that they visit a park at least once a week, while 49pc visit a park once a day.
Fears
However, locals expressed dissatisfaction with parks, with 18pc of people citing dog fouling as being a major deterrent, 15pc believe the parks lack facilities, while 13pc do not visit parks due to fears of anti-social behaviour.
According to the report, a number of people said they do not feel safe walking to their local parks due to a high volume of young people congregating.
Concerned constituents also expressed dissatisfaction with children's play areas, with 18pc citing the facilities as "very poor quality" or non-existent.
The public were asked to identify possible improvements to the 193 parks examined in the council's catchment area.
It was suggested by some locals to include "mile markers" and cycle paths to encourage more runners and cyclists.
It was also outlined how there is a need for specific dog areas in parks to allow pet owners to take their dog off a lead.
The report suggested this could encourage more people to use the parks, as "children don't have to play in the same area as dogs which are running free".
Parks such as Shanganagh Park and Killiney Hill Park were identified as having the highest amounts of dog fouling and litter. The park audit also found that 61pc of parks in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have no benches or other alternative seating areas.

I am surprised by a number of things:-
** I find it hard to believe that there are 193 parks in the council's catchment area, but I'm unsure as to the definition of a "park". I appreciate that the area stretches as far as Stepaside and beyond. Is an open green area in a housing estate a park. Perhaps the Killiney roundabout is big enough to qualify!!
** About 7 out of every eight people visit a park once a week!! This must be every fit person who is capable of standing upright in the area
** People want "mile markers" - have we not gone metric yet in DLRCC area?

Overall, I feel the council does a good job in maintaining the various parks, and agree that anti-social behaviour and dog fouling are the real problems
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Parks in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

Postby Holla » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm

I would agree that DLRD coco do a good job maintaining the parks but how will they look in a year or two if the cut backs in funding keep up and with staff members having taking up the offer to leave public service not to be replaced,the antisocial behaviour is an issue in some parks, on two occasions while going through the park at Duneden/bluepool on my bike i was bombarded with rocks and bottles by little s@@theads i dont go that way anymore,as for dog poo strum highlighted an issue that bugs me bigtime, the one of people cleaning the dog mess in to plastic bags and then dumping (pardon the pun)the bag a few yards up the road why bother cleaning the mess at least the rain will wash away the poo the plastic bag is non biodegradable
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Umm interesting comments folks. I was up Killiney Hill last weekend with four Dogs and I must say I did not see any litter or Dog poop anywhere.
BUT as usual there are no damn bins anywhere either. When will the coco's wake up and supply more bins? I don't get it.
Lack of manpower to empty them???
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:44 am

:shock: I bag me dog dooins and usually bring it home to me own bin! :?
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby grammer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 pm

As far as I am aware the Coco have only a certain number of bins out and about due to the fact the good citizens of the boro' use them to get rid of their household rubbish,they even have made the openings in the bins smaller.
Spud has the right idea.
right on Spud. :D :D
spudseamus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:44 am

I bag me dog dooins and usually bring it home to me own bin!
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby jaytee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

We walk in Shanganagh park in the mornings & theres a big pen, enclosure if you like , for dogs to run round in , completely safe . It a brilliant idea cos they have to be on the lead in the rest of the park . Its a massive park for those that have never been in ,There are 3 or 4 pitches, paths all round for walking & little areas with kids exercise wotsits. for jumping climbing etc. It goes right down to the railway tracks & just over that is a way down to the sea, The high- light of our walk for Coco [ in the summer]. A big splash around in the sea.
jaytee

Postby Strum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Where's Shanganagh Park JT? Is it out near the Graveyard?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Yes Strum, I've never been in it. I'll remedy that soon though I've just bought myself a Bicycle :) so be prepared people old lady on a bike coming through. :lol: ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby jaytee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Snowhite wrote:Yes Strum, I've never been in it. I'll remedy that soon though I've just bought myself a Bicycle :) so be prepared people old lady on a bike coming through. :lol: ;)

I'll look forward to seeing you Snowy, Its huge & loads of cyclists use it. Have you got a bell Dingaling :)
jaytee

Postby jaytee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Strum wrote:Where's Shanganagh Park JT? Is it out near the Graveyard?

Thats the one, its soo much bigger than it looks fron the outside, Your brood would love the enclosure.
jaytee

Postby Snowhite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm

jaytee wrote:
Snowhite wrote:Yes Strum, I've never been in it. I'll remedy that soon though I've just bought myself a Bicycle :) so be prepared people old lady on a bike coming through. :lol: ;)

I'll look forward to seeing you Snowy, Its huge & loads of cyclists use it. Have you got a bell Dingaling :)

Ye, sure you cant have a bike without a dingaling ;) , you'll know which one is me, I'll be the one wobbling all over the place and shouting "Get outta the way" :lol: while ringing my little Bell.
Snowhite

Postby Navanman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Snowhite wrote:
jaytee wrote:

Ye, sure you cant have a bike without a dingaling ;) , you'll know which one is me, I'll be the one wobbling all over the place and shouting "Get outta the way" :lol: while ringing my little Bell.

Changed the video
Last edited by Navanman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Snowhite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Hahahaha Dont think he's singing about a Dingaling on his bike NM, :lol:
Snowhite

Postby jaytee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 am

:D :D AHEM AHEM :!: :!:
jaytee

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Snowhite wrote: so be prepared people old lady on a bike

Old lady? Ah go on Snowy! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sputnik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 am

I had the good fortune to be introduced to Shanganagh Park on my last two visits home. My sister lives nearby and walks her dog there daily.
This was formerly a farm and I particularly like the fact that the old hedgerows have been left intact, especially over the other side of the railway bridge. I can imagine the hedgerows will be alive with wild birds in Spring.
Highly recommended.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE