Moran park

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Moran park

Postby spudseamus » Thu May 24, 2012 2:02 am

Gulliver wrote:Moran Park today

This was the bowling green :( :( :( :( :( :(

"as the grey unyielding concrete makes a city of my town ,ring a ring a rosie ------"
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby keeper » Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 am

So true Spud :cry: hopefully it's giving a bit of employment to local lads in the hard times we are going through.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 am

keeper wrote:So true Spud :cry: hopefully it's giving a bit of employment to local lads in the hard times we are going through.

Foreign nationals on minimum wage morelike.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 am

Below is Patrick Moran (13 March 1888 – 14 March 1921) and Jimmy Whelan and an auxiliary

This picture was taken while in jail
Seems unusual to wear a 3-piece suit, white shirt and tie while in jail

Full details here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moran_(Irish_republican)

"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Passed by the hoarding at Moran Park
Could not see the Christ the King monument (Arnold O' Connor's three-sided crucifix). If should be visible above the hoarding. Seems like it's gone...... at the very least it's taken a holiday.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Just in case. :D

I have many many photos of this piece of Sculpture. One of favorites around Dublin. And the History with it.

Christ the King Monument

A monument in Dún Laoghaire with historical significance is the Christ the King Monument. It took 46 years to be erected from the date it was first discussed. In 1931 a public meeting took place in the Town Hall concerning the erection of a statue to honour Christ.

Dún Laoghaire was chosen as in ideal location because it was regarded as the 'gateway to Ireland'. The statue chosen had been designed by Andrew O'Connor to commemorate the dead of World War I. It was first exhibited in 1926 in the Paris Salon. During World War II the statue was hidden, as it was considered valuable due to its high metal content.

booklet was written in 1932 describing the monument and asking for contributions from people for its erection. The original site for the statue was to be at St. Michael's Wharf, however other developments like the car ferry meant that the location needed to be changed to a more elevated one.

Daithi P. Hanly designed the hexagonal base and it features five plaques providing a history of the monument in five languages. A sixth one contains the names of the Trustees and the Council who granted permission for the erection of the statue. Finally the statue was erected in 1978 overlooking the harbour and sea front.

I replaced the background on this one. It shows off the figures a bit more. I think.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Strum,

What a great idea! I have never really looked at this piece in depth.. just glanced. Just yesterday I read an article in one of the free papaers that the sculpture is to be moved into Moran Park new development as part of the new library contract. Hope the guys are gentle with it, Haigh Terrace will be bare without it
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 am

I think this sculpure should be in the Garden of Remberance -
for instance go down Haig tce.ant day around 12ish and the alcos are hanging around there
If you all think I'm wrong =I will hold my hands up===== and withdraw my suggestion.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 am

grammer wrote:I think this sculpure should be in the Garden of Remberance -
for instance go down Haig tce.ant day around 12ish and the alcos are hanging around there
If you all think I'm wrong =I will hold my hands up===== and withdraw my suggestion.

I don't see the relation?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:26 am

Strum,

Thanks for putting up the bit of history about the Christ the King. I never knew it was to commerate the dead of WW1. It was only when I started researching my family history and found that my grandfather and four of his brothers fought at various places in 1914-1918 war that I discovered how many young men from the Boro died in WW1.Maybe when it is relocated in the new position in Moran Park the people of DunLaoghaire might have a ceremony to remember these approx 490 men and put a plaque with the sculpture to their memory.
This is a link to one site I found giving some names.
http://irishmedals.org/gpage48.html
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Strum
Your history omits a very significant episode in the history of this monument. John Charles McQuaid was catholic archbishop of Dublin 1940-72. He did not like the design of the statue and elements of the depiction of Christ - and he was powerful enough to be able to prevent it's erection. In fact, he took possession of the monument and dumped it in the end of his garden in Killiney, where it became overgrown by nettles etc. It remained there until after his death.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Gulliver,

I never knew this either. Having come through the system I know the power the man wielded, but wasn't he right to put the valuable sculpture in his own back garden. There, if he so wished, he could minister it daily with sups of the holy water which would have cleansed it by the time it was erected in the 70's.
Just got into the DunLaoghaire Rathdown Council site and they have a note about the removal of the sculpture.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latest ... 05,en.html
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks Gulliver. Yes I remember reading that somewhere. Cheers. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Yes Gulliver, that's true about the McQuaid fella ! before it was erected it lay in a long wooden crate in the People's Park, where the Gardeners for the parks had their greenhouses and garden, I worked in the ESB at the time and connected up the spotlights for the Statue when it was erected and at around the same time I did the public lighting in Moran Park and also down the East Pier, the small 5 metre lighting poles right down to the end, there were 33 of them !!! The old ones had rotted away with the salt water and most were not working, it gave me great satisfaction when I saw them all lit up :oops: I must go out and see has anything changed with them or how the poles lasted against the elements, I'll know if they have been changed because I left a little mark on each one :P :P
keeper

Postby grammer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Interesting bit of history there alright -
did'nt we live in a different world.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Don't you think it would be a bit off to put a monument commerating the Irish dead in the Great War in a park
dedicated to an Irish Republican?
The full history of the monument is somewhere on this site. I do remember posting about the period the statue
was on Marine Road.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:10 am

Sinead,

Yes I do but they will probably now say it is a sculpture to Christ the King full stop. However I will drop an e mail to the Arts Dept of the Council pointing that out and see what they think.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 pm

If I remember correctly that statue was paid for by public subscription.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Sinéad,

Interesting! Wouldn't that be interesting.Another question to be asked. But, I wonder if an item is placed in a public place does it become public propery or Council property. I read somewhere that the public contributed to the building of the base on which the sculpture stood.

We had this argument here the other night about our local church. For years before it was built all the people of Blackrock contributed weekly (little envelopes). My father was one of a huge number of collectors who trudged the streets in all weathers collecting, counting, banking. I don't know who owned the land but it probably was council as it backs onto common area. The church was built and everyone forgets how much public money went into it.I'd say if the Catholic Church decided tomorrow to close and sell it they would put the few bob in the coffers.I'm off topic again sorry.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Sinead wrote:Don't you think it would be a bit off to put a monument commemorating the Irish dead in the Great War in a park
dedicated to an Irish Republican?

Very good point Sinéad.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:28 am

Good points folks....but are they still going to call it Moran park ???
Holla

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 am

Is this Library going to be built where the Bowling Green was? Are they seriously going to drain and level the Pond aswell :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 am

Strum,

Seems like they are going to. I had a look at Gulliver's post on 26 March and he gave a link inot the council's website and the photo of the proposed building seems to be where the water is now. I had a chat about this before with a pal of mine who says if there is not a stream feeding this area the reservoir is draining the adjoining area and he seemed to think it would be a big task to keep it drained. Somewhere I have a copy of Brian McAongusa's book "Hidden streams" must try and root it out to see if there is a stream there- that would have to be diverted and gullied.

Interesting thing the artist's impression on the council's website didn't have the Christ the King in the new position!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:36 pm

A bit off topic but a reply to Rocker regarding Church buildings. All Dublin RC property is vested in The Laurence O'Toole Trust, which is as it
should be. The people are the Church and they built them and the schools.
I am talking historically now, the local authority having built large estates with no amenities, ceded land for the building of schools. The local parish had to raise a proportion of the building costs of such a school before the government would give a grant for the remainder. Boards of Management of all denominations have to raise money for each pupil attending primary school before the government will give a subsidy, if the Board has 300 children in the school and only raises enough for 250 that is all the government will match! If a school reduces in size and has excess land which they wish to sell, the local authority takes a portion of the sale price. This is fact, I was an elected and appointed member of Management Boards. I am sure nothing has changed in the last 10 years.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Thank you Sinéad for that info. Sorry, Sometimes I get up on my high horse about some subjects - my family think the high horse lives in the house :!: :!: they live in the stables. :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE